1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/12/20 9:07 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yup. And mine with megasquirt. 

Holley it.

Brent: good call. And fresh plugs and oil wouldn't be a bad idea either. 

Its raining today or id be driving it again 

Good for you!  Small smiles add up to one BIG grin.. Tinkering will sort out the little issues.  Do they make a seat cover to somewhat match the back seats?  That would really tidy up the interior and pull it all together.  Now......Onto other projects?

A very Happy Easter, I hope it finds you and all your family happy and HEALTHY.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/12/20 9:25 a.m.

They don't. But you just gave me an idea to see ifthe neon rear seat works well.

We are healthy! And happy Easter to you and your family as well! And yes, onto other projects. I can call this one DONE except for the little bit of tinkering. Neon next!

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/12/20 9:33 a.m.

My first foray into wrenching at age 15 was putting an Edelbrock carb in my El Camino. I didn't know what I was doing, didn't know anything about jet sizes or tuning, just slapped it on and started driving. I've had 15 trouble-free years with it. The best car parts are the ones that help you enjoy your car without frustration. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/22/20 5:48 p.m.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/20 8:37 p.m.

Made my day

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

You could of celebrated with a long burn out you know.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/20 9:46 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

You could of celebrated with a long burn out you know.

+1

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/22/20 9:56 p.m.

Wait, didn't you break something recently with a long burnout?

8/23/20 6:15 a.m.

My last burnout in this car cost over a grand in broken parts. 

No burnout. Just no.

But, lots of driving! Has some vibration above 60, and a LOT OF VIBRATIONS above 70. I had the tires rebalanced, and we ruled out flat spots and bent wheels. So, dunno why. Unnerving... 

Hate to say it, but driveshaft? Pinion angle? Maybe keep below 60 and just cruise it a bit?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/23/20 6:58 a.m.

Gonna guess driveline angles.  Driveshaft is phased properly?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/20 7:06 a.m.

Check wheel lug torque first!

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/23/20 7:30 a.m.

U-Joint? My last two bad U-Joints presented similar to what you're saying.

8/23/20 11:42 a.m.

The u-joint operating angle should be between 1° and 3°.

The u-joint angles should be equal and opposite, though I would do the pinion "nose down" a degree or two more to account for axle wrap. Sometimes you need the shim the back of the trans UP to account for a lowered vehicle.  You don't ever want the driveshaft going "uphill" to the differential.

The u-joint u-bolts do not get tightened as tight as you think.

My local driveline shop ONLY uses Spicer u-joints.

12/11/20 5:48 p.m.

The vibrations are fixed at least up until 82 miles an hour from the back end. The repair consisted of rebuilding the leaf pack into something quite a bit more normal and sane. I did lose some of the really trick stuff, but I also got rid of the poor in lowering blocks and vibration. So I'm calling it a win. Now to figure out the front end wander and vibration and bump steer and the weird popping noises when turning the steering wheel. Pretty sure the idler arm is shot again at the very least. I've been averaging about a thousand miles out of them before there completely worn out. And that's with the Moog Problem Solver pieces.

12/11/20 7:32 p.m.

Did re-doing the leaf pack change the pinion angle at all?

Can you tell me what the angles currently are? (trans/shaft/pinion)

12/12/20 7:25 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I cannot tell you exact angles at the moment,  unfortunately. I measured the angles in this position:

i used an angle finder app on my phone due to clearance with the exhaust at the front joint. Both joints measured 16 degrees in this position. 

Changes in the leafs did make all the pinion change. Previously,  using parts of a Durango leaf pack combined with dodge a body leafs, i had built a mutant pack similar in design to a superstock spring pack crossed with the old roadrace pack. This jacked the rear ride height to the point it required a 4 inch block to et close again. And the pinion was so far up that it was making the driveshaft uncomfortably close to the floor. So i used angled blocks that rotated the pinion down as far as a block was goin to. Which wasn't even CLOSE to far enough. 

12/16/20 7:44 a.m.

Figured out why the carb feels so slow. Its not opening the secondaries due to linkage issues i never noticed i created. So, thats the next project. 

Also, the "never the same idle speed twice " was the msd distributor having too light a springs,  and allowing variable timing. One heavier spring fixed it, but im still debating removing it in favor of an hei style with vacuum advance in addition to the mechanical advance. Fuel economy is HORRIBLE. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/20 8:08 a.m.

I like the vaccum advance dizzys, they work super well from what experience i have. 

12/31/20 9:54 a.m.

found this today cleaning out at moms. 

Me and my older brother in 1995 or 1996 when i worked at showmars, and before the duster was painted the first time. 

Joly crap.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/31/20 1:02 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

found this today cleaning out at moms. 

Me and my older brother in 1995 or 1996 when i worked at showmars, and before the duster was painted the first time. 

Joly crap.

What a stud, I was 1-2 years old when this was taken....

12/31/20 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

I had hair and a waistline when this was taken.

Thanks for calling me old!!!

Damn kids....

cheeky

You know the beauty of having 4 active builds? If you get sick of messing with one. You move to another. If you're waiting on parts for one, you have parts for another. If you only have five minutes,  you have a bunch of lists of tasks to work from.

With that said, today i scrubbed the second gen console and parts for the duster. Its cold, and i expect that it will take all weekend to dry. Which means i can dye and install next week sometime. Awesome. 

Reason for the second gen console is that the first gen has no useful cupholder or place to put stuff from your pockets. And i had one. 

Ill take it to dad's place and get it on the lift next week sometime to replace the idler arm,  adjust wheel bearings, nut and bolt check the suspension, change  the oil and adjust the clutch. Way easier on a lift.....

1/8/21 11:10 a.m.

The difference in console 

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3UcHA7JHilixXYCuzju1fG1DL6zd0pPcqm6I0rYEBX2g0lH2LLM5aVnMh5Kl6Wt1