1 2 3
WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/8/15 1:45 p.m.

Hey guys,

After seeing all the great projects here I wanted to share my "little" project car as well.

This whole thing starts out with me making the realization that my wife and I had three daily drivers (08 Caravan, 08 HHR SS 5spd, and O4 Saturn Ion 5spd). With that realization I figured I could buy a "fun" car that could be used as a backup when one of the DD's needs maintenance. At first I settled on selling the Ion (wife's baby) but that was quickly squashed and I sold my beloved HHR SS with 5 spd and LSD. Definitely worth more that the other cars, so it gave me a little more cash to play with (not necessarily a good thing ).

So I started searching for a Ford Falcon after watching countless GoodWood festivals with Falcon's sliding around with little Mini's and such. A friend of mine educated me on Mopar A-bodies and wondered why I'd want an even crappier Mustang . Also in order to fit any kind of tire under the car I'd have to swap in a Mustang II front suspension. Once I found out I could fit 275's under all 4 corners of an old Mopar A body I was sold.

So after much searching within a 500 mile radius I actually scored a 1971 Dodge Demon. Now this wasn't the ideal car, but I knew I had to have it when I pulled into the previous owners driveway. Much to wife's surprise I bought a car that couldn't run and drive . Either way she's a /6, auto, 4 wheel drum car that's been sitting in a barn for 15 years. Structurally the car is great and it's actually "three wheeling" on the jack stands right now, but the rear quarters are blown out to hell. I'll have some body work to do in the future, but the car just needs to get moving soon.

Since it's not a high optioned V8 car I don't feel too bad about restomodding it. My eventual goal is have a car to run SCCA CAM-T, chase BMW's at track days, and take the family out for ice cream. So 275/35R-18's, stiff torsion bars, front rear sway bars, and a carbon hood and trunk lid will all be apart of this cars future.

This grill gets me every time I open the garage door!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/8/15 1:49 p.m.

Welcome to the world of pro-touring mopars. Ive got a duster that is used for similar things.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/8/15 1:51 p.m.

Here's the old /6. After my buddy adjusted the points this car fired immediately on starting fluid so we filled the carb with gas and it fired and idled! Once you revved it up the knock knock knocking began! Shame especially for how smooth it was for not running in 15 years!

/6 Running & Knocking!!!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/8/15 2:03 p.m.

My parents (my mother, really) had a '71 Demon while I was growing up (from 72 thru 85) and I've been wanting one in the worst way ever since stupidly letting it get towed away in the late 80's.

I look forward to seeing what you do as well, but if you ever get into a situation where you have to sell, keep me in mind (not sure where you are).

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/8/15 2:04 p.m.

So to replace the old diesel /6 I picked up a 72 LA 318 and auto tranny on Craigslist for $200. That turned out to be a parts engine because of a really bad cylinder ridge and I searched for a newer Magnum 318. From what I've learned the newer F/I motors have little to no bore wear. Turns out I lucked out again and picked up a Magnum 318, with new .030 pistons, ARP main bolts, new crank and rod bearings for $200 on Craigslist. The engine was built and never fired because the guy tried using a V6 fly wheel from his Dakota.

I decided to pick up an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and some Summit headers. Also replaced the cam bearings since those hadn't been replaced. The heart should be back together in a few weeks and painted the appropriate LA Chrysler blue.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/8/15 2:14 p.m.

You should just run the full magnum efi setup. Really easy to make standalone in the a-body.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
7/8/15 2:23 p.m.

Nice. I like this project.

Boombeartree
Boombeartree New Reader
7/8/15 2:42 p.m.

nice i have a 71 demon sitting in my yard waiting to be worked on. It has a 318 in it already too. i have a few other A bodies laying around in case you are in need of some parts too.

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/8/15 3:08 p.m.

Also bought a nice new tool to help with the project.

Since it was a 4 wheel drum car I had to upgrade at least the front brakes. I bought brand new 76+ calipers, they previous owner sold me the 73+ front disk setup that he bought for the car.

Also picked up an 8.75 with 3.23 SureGrip LSD rear end for $420. This was for a B-Body which is a little wider than the A-body axle, but it actually fits the car better. After 66 Chrysler widened the A-body but left the rear track width the same. I just had to move the spring pads in a little bit on each side for the A body. Unfortunately I found this axle after putting money into the stock 7.25 axle, which is complete junk . For those who don't know, a factory Chrysler 7.25 can brake from just looking at it the wrong way.

I got a lot of painting done recently. Hopefully I can get the rear end put back together this weekend. New ESPO 340 V8 rear leaf springs going on with fully poly bushings. Need to tighten up the handle on this old girl! Also, if you can afford to get parts sand blasted....do it. My shop is covered in a fine layer of rust dust from cleaning the backing plates. I also went through 2 wire wheels and a few 3" brillo pads.

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/8/15 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I've heard that from a couple of people, but as I've understood the factory Magnum EFI isn't very tune-able. Right now a friend is setting up his 340 duster with MegaSquirt EFI and individual coil ignition. I believe he's using a similar setup to what NASCAR now runs.

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/8/15 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Boombeartree:

Thanks! I'm actually looking for a 1970 filler neck. I'm trying to get rid of the stupid EECS fuel vapor system.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/8/15 3:29 p.m.

Where is the stigma eating popcorn gif? Cool project!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/8/15 3:41 p.m.

Ive got a spare 70 filler neck.

Where are you?

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
7/8/15 5:23 p.m.

This is looking very awesome. Always wanted a demon.

Boombeartree
Boombeartree New Reader
7/8/15 6:16 p.m.

In reply to WaterfordMan:

Ill check what i got but most of my darts are 71 or after. and nice deal on the 8 3/4 i ended up using a 8.8 ford rear on my 71 swinger. yea the 7.25's are really weak. but the car is looking to be coming together nicely.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/8/15 6:53 p.m.

I don't think the main problem with the Magnum setup is tuneability per se, it's that you can't get enough air into the engine without seriously modding or replacing the stock intake mani and throttle body. I think the manifold itself can be modded to be 'ok', but as long as you retain a factory-style throttle body, it will always be a choked engine.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/8/15 9:23 p.m.
WaterfordMan wrote: Also, if you can afford to get parts sand blasted....do it. My shop is covered in a fine layer of rust dust from cleaning the backing plates. I also went through 2 wire wheels and a few 3" brillo pads.

When the ex- and I restored the engine bay and front suspension of her 1800ES, she discovered the same thing. Hours of wire-brushing and scrubbing with degreaser vs. $250 to have my local machine shop blast the whole batch and pick it up the next day. And you get the parts back so clean they look like they had been painted grey. Worth every penny.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/15 5:30 a.m.

Dodge Demon threads are incomplete until there is a photo of the tail lights...

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/9/15 8:19 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Ive got a spare 70 filler neck. Where are you?

I'm in Michigan, near Pontiac. I'm going to PM you some information.

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
7/9/15 8:22 a.m.
Woody wrote: Dodge Demon threads are incomplete until there is a photo of the tail lights...

I'm a fool! I've actually never taken pictures of the tail lights! I guarantee this isn't a Duster convert!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/15 9:16 a.m.

Nice project. :) Looks good so far. Good luck with the progress.

I'm inching away at my early A body (66 barracuda) and did a lot of the things you have on yours. 1.03 torsion bars, KH disc brake conversion, Bilstein shocks, Mild 318 for now with a 340 on the engine stand to build out, new suspension, true 2.5" dual exhaust. I should have it fired and going in the next few weeks.

At least with the later ones, you can run CAM-T. Mine is too short of a wheelbase and too light for the class.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/9/15 9:53 a.m.

In reply to WaterfordMan:

Repro Demon rear sheet metal is available, so it still could be...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/9/15 10:39 a.m.

I always wanted to do a duster with demon taillights. Use a sharkstooth grille, and full 340 hood/stripe/blackout treatment.

Ill send you a picture of the fill tube when I can get into storage again.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/9/15 8:24 p.m.

The outside is perfect right now as is

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/15 9:28 p.m.
WaterfordMan wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Ive got a spare 70 filler neck. Where are you?
I'm in Michigan, near Pontiac. I'm going to PM you some information.

Was wondering which Waterford your handle might be referring too. I'm close by. Hope to see you at the autocrosses on Belle Isle this fall. I run in CAM-C.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ocwYcIu0zTdS4hHWFfDEy6kZ7uRRyVQx51VR3asUOVkw5tdYXGndw5xa6UgCBY7M