zxpete
zxpete New Reader
2/14/14 9:31 p.m.

welp this will double as my introduction post and my very very slow build thread of the 1971 fiat i bought today. i found this site because of ditchdiggers turbo fiat 850 build, figured i might as well join up.

i mainly read on forums and seldom have much to contribute working on pics of what i got today.

zxpete
zxpete New Reader
2/14/14 9:36 p.m.

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/moshpete99/media/00X0X_5w3E0DIDAW9_600x450.jpg.html][/URL]

zxpete
zxpete New Reader
2/14/14 9:36 p.m.

it is need of a lot of rust repair and the motor is pulled and dissasembled, as is the interior. plan of action is a new floor pan and remount seats assemble repair all structural panels. as of right now the motor im planning on running is an 07 kawasaki zx6r i got for $50 with a broken motor mount which has been welded and im replacing bearings and shaving the head on. hsould be good for 125hp at the crank. also have a tdo4 turbo sitting here which may find a home in this super sleeper project.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/moshpete99/media/00A0A_3JNlc4qabUB_600x450.jpg.html][/URL]

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/14 9:41 p.m.

Love it!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
2/15/14 6:18 a.m.

You'll fit right in, I see an SVX in the background as well!

peemittens
peemittens New Reader
2/15/14 5:10 p.m.

not my svx the seller has 2 svx's and a hollywood and whole pile of other fiberglass cars i know nothing about. im way out of my depth here... can't learn to run without falling right?

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
2/15/14 10:03 p.m.

Very interested in this one

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/14 11:56 p.m.

Awesome! I love this body style...even better than the 850 coupe or 850 spider in my opinion. Looks like a fun project.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
2/17/14 8:31 a.m.

Very cool,engine up front or out back?.

Zx6 engines were the cream of the crop in the 600 class,not sure how the clutch/trans will like the added weight to lug around.Adding boost won't help either of those unfortunately,I've read about transmission failures with boosted 600's in an open wheel race car(much lighter than your car).I personally wouldn't consider anything less than a 1000 for a car project,lots of work ahead and it would be a shame to be unhappy with the result.With steep enough gearing it will likely pull nice enough but be limited to about 100mph,you wouldn't want to go far on the hwy with that gearing.

I'm watching with interest for sure.

peemittens
peemittens New Reader
2/17/14 11:11 a.m.

engine will stay in the back radiator getting moved up front .the main reason im using the 600 engine is i have it here and i got it for $50. a zx14 or hayabusa would be nice but i dont have 3-4k to spend on that.my plan is to build a cage with enough space and removable motor mounts for future engines. i really wont be out much if i need to get a bigger engine down the road as the major issues are going to be chain drive rearend and building a electric reverse setup. which will be workable with any chain drive engine

short gearing should help keep the load on the trans down and i dont know if i really want to be driving such a small wheelbase at 100 anyways.

my objective is to embarrass mustangs and camaros on city streets. and smoke tires off of course.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/14 11:18 a.m.

Loving this.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
2/17/14 6:26 p.m.

Totally get using what you have,$50 for that engine is a steal for sure.I wouldn't be setting you sights on mustangs and camaros,think a little lower on the food chain.You'll be able to burn tires as long as its space savers your going to bolt on.

I don't see a huge weight savings with the bike engine/trans in this car,what do these little suckers weigh?.Guessing close to 1500lbs in street trim but don't really know.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
2/17/14 7:12 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla:

My 850 sedan was 1375lbs with a full tank of gas. The shipping scale down the street only goes in 25lb increments so was likely rounded up.

The service manual lists them at 1320.

The coupes were listed at 1450 and the spiders 1520

Light cars. There is not a lot of weight savings to be made on the sedans. They are just so spartan there isn't much to remove. The factory seats are maybe 7lbs each. The back seat is about the same and it gets LOUD inside without it so it wasn't worth removing. The headliner is just a piece of textured card stock glued to the roof.

On the topic of burnouts. It is interesting that my car really won't do them. I try. I can wind the sucker out and . boost hits hard but it just launches violently. I think it is because it is so light.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
2/17/14 9:37 p.m.

Cool,little lighter than expected which is awesome.Usually light means less grip(think loaded vs unloaded pick up)so must be something to the geometry that plants the tires.Thats good too with them being so short.

hudson
hudson
2/20/14 2:40 p.m.

Great car! Saw the advert, seemed like a good deal. I've got a 68 Sport Coupe I picked up last summer.

There's a bunch of us rear engined guys on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/616604618399075/

Bean
Bean None
10/20/14 5:12 a.m.

Great start

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/20/14 5:38 a.m.

Cool little car.Not a huge fan of the bike engine swap since I hear that gears are not designed to haul any weight for the amount of torque they put out. But, this is GRM home of the broke car enthusiast, so carry-on!

What do others do to hot-rod these cars?

Love to see more pics of the car showing the rust repairs needed; looks pretty good from here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OduSPEE95TcnjOPu7AvNo82AqLZHo6DZgCrlHurgBivszTcey7N76bHQEybdx7JP