stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
6/3/17 8:21 a.m.

After a mere 17 years of owning this car, it has finally moved under it own power.

The short description is:
1971 Spitfire that was purchased at a lien sale for $300 in California
It already had a Toyota 2TC engine that had bee turbocharged, but the turbo was missing and the engine would not hold time at the distributor
I cut it down the center and added 14" of width to cover the Lexus GS300/Supra rear end and axles
Since it was starting to get really square I added 10" to the wheelbase in front of the firewall
It has received a 4L Lexus V8 (1UZ) with a Richmond 6 speed gearbox and Megasuirt controlling it
The suspension is coil over (motorcycle dampers) and pushrod/rockers at all 4 corners
Exhaust is sidepipes because the car is very low and I like my feet not completely cooked

The only body panels not mangled so far are the door skins.

I will start to keep this thread updated as I go through the car and finish it up. That means disassembly for finish weld, paint and reassembly (plus whatever I find that I need to change/fix).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/3/17 8:25 a.m.

That is an epic first post, but we're going to need way way way more pictures.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
6/3/17 1:02 p.m.

Oh that's what's going on....I thought at first it was a fish eye lens. Can't wait.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/3/17 1:18 p.m.

I have heard much, but am glad to see this!!!

Freaking awesome Steve.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/3/17 2:24 p.m.

Wow. Looking forward to hearing more!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/3/17 5:07 p.m.

OK, we are waiting.....

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
6/3/17 5:44 p.m.

Is the civic assoc gona be up yur arse for a non conforming(ie..burnout attempts) driveway apron?

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
6/4/17 7:58 a.m.

This thread needs....

MOAR PIKS

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
6/5/17 9:35 a.m.

It was a busy weekend, but I am putting alot of pictures up in a place where I can link them and try to put the 17 years into a shorter (readable) length summary. Don't worry there are lots of pictures of the process early on.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/5/17 9:38 a.m.

Uh huh. I like that. You had me at 'had to widen the car to fit a different rear axle'.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/5/17 10:38 a.m.

I love how the crazy bar keeps getting higher and higher around here.Now get with the pictures cause we are not very patient around here.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/5/17 10:41 a.m.

Steve, after 17 years id expect and hope for an r63 length thrrad. Or at leadt amc....

Our Preferred Partners
3bR1AyZLsCqGSvDzNhSJyWzY62MuIkXP