1 2 3 ... 12
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/13 11:48 a.m.

My buddy's dad (who has a 69 Datsun 2000 Roadster) had a 73 Z car he was going to do something with but decided to sell it instead. So I agreed to pick it up and while I wait to go back down to FL to bring it back home in a few weeks, I have started the parts acquistion process. This isn't going to be a super intensive build like the Fubaru 308, just do things on a budget where I can and hopefully have this thing on an autocross course soon. The details: 1973 Datsun 240Z 4 speed, Dealer installed A/C, Gerald Ford green paint with Roger Waters orange interior It's getting a dash cap, new armrest and a cleaning on the inside. Maybe a Bob Segar tape or two. For the outside I plan on sanding it and then plastidip. Throw some wheels on it and an Ansa twintip straight pipe. For the engine, stock. Twin SU's with factory air cleaner.

Some pictures:

Some Fondmetal 14x6 Canonica wheels and Ansa tips.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/4/13 11:55 a.m.

Sweet! I was hoping you would start a build thread! I am picking up my new '75 280Z project on Saturday, so we'll have 2 Z builds on here! Looking forward to this!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/4/13 12:32 p.m.

Even in that horrendous shade of green that car is sexy!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/4/13 12:34 p.m.

Horrendously awesome!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/13 12:48 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Even in that horrendous shade of green that car is sexy!

I have a friend with that sunset orange nasty color on a 78 Corolla that I call Jimmy Carter Bronze, so this will be Gerald Ford Green.

I'd like to plastidip it flat green though.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/4/13 2:54 p.m.

Those old Z cars are like hardcore crossfit chicks; they're drop dead sexy but getting intimate with one and giving it 100% could be the time of your life or it could kill you!...maybe both.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
4/4/13 3:18 p.m.

As 70's as that color combo is, it is awesome. Saw a picture of a mint early 70's C3 Vette convertible in the same color combo. Awesome. Plastidip in the same color?

crankwalk
4/4/13 3:22 p.m.
Wxdude10 wrote: As 70's as that color combo is, it is awesome. Saw a picture of a mint early 70's C3 Vette convertible in the same color combo. Awesome. Plastidip in the same color?

Yeah plastidip flat green, as close as I can get to this color.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
4/4/13 3:51 p.m.

Those wheels are wild!

crankwalk
4/4/13 4:04 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: Those wheels are wild!

They are and I know they are hit or miss for some people but the color, the four spokes, and the weirdness.....it's so 1973. Saw them on cl and had to get them. The guy threw in the ansa tip for free. Bonus!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
4/4/13 8:02 p.m.

Freebie!!!

No one says that anymore....

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/13 9:39 p.m.

I like the stock wheels too!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
4/4/13 10:26 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I like the stock wheels too!

Those are the factory turbo wheels. Rarely seen.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/4/13 11:06 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:

They ain't stock for this car...those are from a 1980 ZX turbo, referred to as "snowflakes". Definitely unusual, not as popular as the "swastikas", but very cool nonetheless.

crankwalk
4/5/13 7:10 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote:
They ain't stock for this car...those are from a 1980 ZX turbo, referred to as "snowflakes". Definitely unusual, not as popular as the "swastikas", but very cool nonetheless.

I think they were on the 81 actually. But yeah you never really see factory 15s on these. I may trade them to a friend (the guy whose dad I'm getting the car from) for some other parts this thing needs. It's really complete but it will take some assembly. For example, the master cylinder is in the trunk. Random interior pieces and spares are shoved in the hatch. It's mostly all there but its just spread around.

The family i'm getting the car from is such a huge Datsun family. Daily drivers include a 69 Roadster, 70 510 (coilvers, enkie 92s) and another 70 240Z that is being built up right now thats almost done. Two of the family members are Nissan trained master techs and the other one works for Napa corporate. So convenient and awesome for questions.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
4/5/13 7:57 a.m.

Cool! I actually like the green but thats coming from a guy who actually likes the baby puke yellow that was offered also. . . I wanted to paint my 280 that yellow but decided to keep it white since it's one of the least common colors on an S30

I can practically smell the 70`s japaneese intirior on those pics! I still have a few odd's and ends from my 73 parts car if you need anything. . . like a headlight bucket in better condition

crankwalk
4/5/13 8:34 a.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: Cool! I actually like the green but thats coming from a guy who actually likes the baby puke yellow that was offered also. . . I wanted to paint my 280 that yellow but decided to keep it white since it's one of the least common colors on an S30 I can practically smell the 70`s japaneese intirior on those pics! I still have a few odd's and ends from my 73 parts car if you need anything. . . like a headlight bucket in better condition

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know about the buckets. Once I start playing with it in a few weeks, I'll be reminded of everything I need to replace or that I can repair. All the rust you see is just surface rust, no cancer so hopefully a good sanding, rattle can, then plastidip should cover it up.

It's cool you have a 73 parts car, they are kind of an oddball transistion year and have a lot of one off parts that may be harder to track down.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
4/5/13 9:01 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Elkhart Green is the name of the green that Chevy used back in the 70's that is about the same shade

Elkhart Green Vette.

This seems to be a very close match to the color on the left rear fender that is not too faded.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/5/13 10:58 a.m.
crankwalk wrote:
sethmeister4 wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote:
I think they were on the 81 actually. But yeah you never really see factory 15s on these. I may trade them to a friend (the guy whose dad I'm getting the car from) for some other parts this thing needs. It's really complete but it will take some assembly. For example, the master cylinder is in the trunk. Random interior pieces and spares are shoved in the hatch. It's mostly all there but its just spread around. The family i'm getting the car from is such a huge Datsun family. Daily drivers include a 69 Roadster, 70 510 (coilvers, enkie 92s) and another 70 240Z that is being built up right now thats almost done. Two of the family members are Nissan trained master techs and the other one works for Napa corporate. So convenient and awesome for questions.

Yes, sorry, you're right, I think it was '81. No turbo for '80, right?

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
4/5/13 4:03 p.m.

Awesome, I like the car, color and both sets of wheels. Can't wait to see where you take it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
4/5/13 5:48 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote:

Sorry. I didn't mean stock for the 240. I was meaning the ZX turbo as u stated.

crankwalk
4/6/13 6:56 a.m.

The wheels cleaned up nice enough for this car. These tires suck but they will be disposed of after a beating or two.

I cleaned up the tips too and took a picture of everything Italian I own in one shot in the garage.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
4/6/13 5:47 p.m.

Nice! The wheels look great! Looks like my Z project might be dead in the water, so I will have to live vicariously through yours!

crankwalk
5/13/13 11:33 a.m.

Just got the car back home last night and starting GOING TO TOWN full tilt on this thing. I want this freshened up, not really restored, in a month or so to get back to the Fubaru.

Rolled it in and cleaned everything out of it. Gas tank is out, front bumper is off. Dash cap and armrest on order and the interior is done. It cleaned up really nicely.

On to the motor, It has the earlier style round top SU's that are better than the crap flat top ones. I hooked up the air cleaner and did some inspecting. I need a brake master and clutch master cylinder. I need a heater hose and I need to clean the points I think.

The motor is a bone stock early Z motor with points that aren't opening I think. I put a battery in it and it spun over but no fuel (I had the gas tank out). Headlights on, radio on, wipers etc but then I started seeing a little smoke from the steering column. I think the points are not opening and make be causing that. I'm going to clean them tonight and see what it does.

The exhaust is staying stock but with a muffler delete and the ansa tip.

The Fondmetals are going on with the Hoosiers mounted as well.

Suspension wise the shocks and springs are Tokico blues and its lowered about 1 1/2 inches all around. So hopefully this thing moves fast and I can get it out this year. Loaded up in Panama City

Original manual, receipt, spare knick knacks

In the garage, spare parts getting organized

Stock motor, I sanded and painted the battery tray with rustoleum to prevent rust.

These are going on the set of Fondmetals

Interior cleaned up well, the dash cap and armrest are on order.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/13/13 11:52 a.m.

Awesome!

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fW4SnfafKCXjozqjXRbXPNAyKZbe0eTJt18MjeQQZUkeIz0mjoDf1FHNkATdFauM