1 2 3 4 ... 12
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/13 1:09 p.m.

Jolly good

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
5/13/13 4:58 p.m.

I give full credit for passing my drivers test the day I turned 16 to the fact that I learned how to drive a 1971 240Z starting when I was 14. My Mom still does not know how many miles I put on that car while she was at work!

The car was bought in Puerto Rico, came to Canada with us, Shipped to England when the parents left Canada and then was shipped to FL and sold. I was some pissed that they did not just give it to me!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/13 5:07 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: The car was bought in Puerto Rico, came to Canada with us, Shipped to England when the parents left Canada and then was shipped to FL and sold. I was some pissed that they did not just give it to me!

Wow now that is a story! A well travelled car is very interesting.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/13 11:31 a.m.

Tires and wheels on and I will at the least need spacers as these are rubbing on the suspension but I may need longer wheel studs as well. Looks good with some meat on it.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
5/14/13 12:10 p.m.

agreed. also a warning. . . these datsun side projects have a way of sidelining everything else in thier path. about a decade ago my 280 started as a $400 highway car project. . . now it's the nicest car in my stable. can't wait to see more on this!

crankwalk
5/14/13 12:23 p.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: agreed. also a warning. . . these datsun side projects have a way of sidelining everything else in thier path. about a decade ago my 280 started as a $400 highway car project. . . now it's the nicest car in my stable. can't wait to see more on this!

I really can't have this thing taking all my money or being the nicest car I own! I want it to be presentable and that's it!

crankwalk
5/15/13 11:09 a.m.

Ditched the stock nasty muffler and put on the Ansa.

Saved some weight and looks and hopefully sounds better too.

Sprayed the taillight trim in matte black to cover the thin metal.

Tonight when I get off from work I'm going to address the ignition points and go from there.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
5/15/13 11:59 p.m.

Looks great! I think my 280 project is back on (I got the motor to turn over today), so hopefully I can start tearing into that thing soon! Your thread is great inspiration!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
5/16/13 8:15 a.m.

Hey, what size are those wheels and the Hoosiers?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
5/16/13 9:45 a.m.

Me likey

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
5/16/13 10:37 a.m.

I have loved Z's ever since seeing the pristine black 280z owned by a childhood friend's mom.

This is going to be a really cool project; it looks very well preserved.

crankwalk
5/16/13 11:03 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Hey, what size are those wheels and the Hoosiers?

14x6 wheels with 225 50 14 tires. They need extended studs and spacers because they hit EVERYTHING.

To rememdy this for now I have a set of 280 wheels for the street im going to run.

Interestingly enough this can has two fuel pumps it looks like. No idea why and no idea if either work, I didn't hear either one when turning the key. I'll ditch both and put one good one on. On by the rear diff and one up front. Also check the circa late 80s Kmart oil filter.

Ignition looked good but I think I blew the fusible link hooking up what I thought was a ground for ONE of the fuel pumps to the battery but it was just a mystery wire that I realize now is probably a hot wire going inside the cabin.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
5/16/13 1:02 p.m.

Yup, 2 fuel pumps on the 240s...not sure why either. I always liked those 280 wheels too, they're good for street wheels. Looks great, can't wait till you have it on the road!

crankwalk
5/16/13 1:44 p.m.

But shouldn't it be a mechanical pump on the 73 still?

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/16/13 2:37 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: But shouldn't it be a mechanical pump on the 73 still?

it matters the build date some came with both later in the build year...........on another note not knowing what you paid for this z... that Z should be restored it looks great how is the front passenger frame rail and floor pan.

do you want to sell me those hubcaps in the one picture

crankwalk
5/16/13 2:47 p.m.
cutter67 wrote:
crankwalk wrote: But shouldn't it be a mechanical pump on the 73 still?
it matters the build date some came with both later in the build year...........on another note not knowing what you paid for this z... that Z should be restored it looks great how is the front passenger frame rail and floor pan. do you want to sell me those hubcaps in the one picture

Frame rails are straight and just surface rust on things.

And yes the hub caps are actually for sale on Atlanta craigslist. I'll pm you the link.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
5/16/13 2:59 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

thanks sent pm back to you......you need to put that car back to original they are getting tough to find as we all know. i will post pics of the two i have and i need a set of caps for one of them. if you want to restore it i do have a lot of other OEM parts for it. i do have a perfect dash for one but its pricey

crankwalk
5/16/13 3:09 p.m.
cutter67 wrote: In reply to crankwalk: thanks sent pm back to you......you need to put that car back to original they are getting tough to find as we all know. i will post pics of the two i have and i need a set of caps for one of them. if you want to restore it i do have a lot of other OEM parts for it. i do have a perfect dash for one but its pricey

I need a brake booster, brake master, clutch master, fuel sending unit and gasket, fusible link. Other random stuff.

I am putting a dash cap and new armrest inside and it should look nice.

I'm going to sand and then plastidip this car in a flat green. Maybe paint it eventually but I don't have the time to retore this thing now while I am neck deep in my Ferrari project.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/16/13 8:23 p.m.
crankwalk wrote: ...I don't have the time to retore this thing now while I am neck deep in my Ferrari project.

When you can write a sentence like this, your life is A-OK.

crankwalk
5/16/13 8:27 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
crankwalk wrote: ...I don't have the time to retore this thing now while I am neck deep in my Ferrari project.
When you can write a sentence like this, your life is A-OK.

HAHAHA until you see it!

crankwalk
5/22/13 12:44 p.m.

But then:

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
5/22/13 1:03 p.m.

Nice! I hope the interior of mine looks that good soon!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/13 3:06 p.m.

This thing looks great. I agree with others, should be refinished nicely at some point, but until then, enjoy.

crankwalk
5/25/13 9:24 a.m.

It runs

So after 24 years at least, me and my buddy Dan got it to run on starter fluid. I had a no spark condition for the longest but after a quick 5 minute call to Dan's dad (the guy I bought it from) he said the distributor needs a better ground. We hooked some jumper cables from the distributor to strut bolts and that did it. I'll be tidying up some things and getting it ready for a new fuel pump and put the tank back in.

crankwalk
5/27/13 7:39 p.m.

Aft3r a new master and slave the clutch works.

I bought a used brake booster but the bolt holes don't line up since I guess its from an earlier model.

Still need a fuel pump, sending unit, radiator, brake booster (if I don't drill this pattern in the firewall and use this one), brake master.... I think that's it for now. Anybody have any of this stuff?

1 2 3 4 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGAN6oNJZ0TafxaxUvatn6GjCB0ULnd5Ya58jRnITESCIh7zMRPXXD3ARlcfCw3S