1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/13 3:37 p.m.

Woohoo! My passenger side Z emblem fell off and shattered when I shut the door the first time at home. LOL

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/13 11:21 a.m.

The car went in to my buddy's shop to do the clutch on the lift. In and out in about 45 minutes. That thing was toast.

Trans off:

Checked the back fuel filter by the tank and I'm getting some of the sediment out. I need to change that out.

Did some points and a condenser and drove it to the gas station right away after. The girl in the passenger seat of the red Z totally wanted to be in the green one.

The first trip, wings on the way home.

It seemed like the coil would get hot and cut out. So after about 5 miles, it would start breaking up and needed to cool off for about 10 minutes and then would go another 5 miles. I bought another coil today and I'll throw it in tonight.

Things still to do in order to drive this regularly:

Install the new coil Replace the driver side front caliper: (Drags) Tune the carbs

The car was running super rich and smoked black because the front carb choke cable broke and was stuck on. I wondered why the back 3 plugs looked ok and the front 3 were black. We went through that and immediately the car stopped smoking, you could breath in the car again and it revved smooth. So I still need to get the mixture right on that since it looks like the plugs are running a little hot right now.

So it needs a few things but it drives and the first maiden trip home was 26 miles in traffic in the rain. No overheating, oil pressure was awesome, just that coil crapping out a couple times but after cooling for 10 minutes I could still drive home.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/7/13 12:31 p.m.

Great work! Man I need to get busy on mine, I'm jealous!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/13 12:34 p.m.

cool!

crankwalk
7/9/13 9:21 a.m.

Z is fixed as of this morning. The rear plastic fuel filter nipple was crimped down not clogged.(kudos to the fuel people) New filter and she is good. Drove her 10 miles and I think ill take her to work. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the help!

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
7/9/13 2:20 p.m.

Nice work so far. Reminds me of a Z my brother used to own.

For Phase II -- http://forums.hybridz.org/

crankwalk
7/9/13 3:17 p.m.

I have used the glasses reusable fuel filters before and I'd like to run some again but does anybody know if there is a company that makes BIG ones so I'm not emptying it out every drive for a while? Like think double the capacity.

That way I'm not spending as much on fuel filters as gas for a while.

Thanks

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
7/9/13 4:18 p.m.

I have one of these on my efi car -- you'll need to do some plumbing if you want clamped/barbed fittings on each end.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/russell-12-in-profilter-649060/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adword&utm_content=pla&gclid=CPXE0oCro7gCFcvm7AodigYAYQ

crankwalk
7/9/13 4:22 p.m.
MichaelYount wrote: I have one of these on my efi car -- you'll need to do some plumbing if you want clamped/barbed fittings on each end. http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/russell-12-in-profilter-649060/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adword&utm_content=pla&gclid=CPXE0oCro7gCFcvm7AodigYAYQ

Yeah but I want clear glass so I can monitor the filth coming out of the tank easier. Otherwise I would just buy a big aluminum cheapo unit.

crankwalk
7/18/13 8:29 p.m.

40 year old cars: 60% of the time they work every time.

After sitting in the parking lot at work all day, 8 hours later the car doesnt want to run for anything. Stumbles HARD, plugs are black and wet. Too much fuel, not enough spark.Had to tow it home

Investigation to come tomorrow night.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/18/13 9:38 p.m.

I like this Z

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/18/13 9:56 p.m.

Boooo! I am sorry - keep us posted.

crankwalk
7/18/13 10:50 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Boooo! I am sorry - keep us posted.

Its part of the process. I love this thing.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/18/13 11:24 p.m.

Sorry dude, hope you figure it out! I'm hoping to take mine for it's first shakedown run on Saturday.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/19/13 7:49 a.m.

I'm not sure how it happened, but a buddy of mine had a glass fuel filter in the engine compartment of his LeMans. The car backfired and some how the glass broke and the car started on fire. Maybe he mounted in correctly (between the pump and the carb), but it wasn't good. Just a thought for your to consider.

Nice car by the way.

crankwalk
7/21/13 10:53 a.m.

Cleaned the carbs and ran into an issue.

On the back carb by the firewall, the nozzle on the underside developed a leak when it was removed, cleaned and put back in. It was stuck in there, we got it out with vice grips but might have gouged it too much when sliding it out. So I'm on the hunt for another nozzle or cheap rebuild kit that includes one.

aptfast.com looks like they have some parts for these and the jet looks like this. I just need the nozzles and I'm not sure the elbow I would need.

Anybody have any roundtop SU's they have for parts?

Thanks

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/30/13 10:33 a.m.

I just read through this again, and I have another question. What size tires are you running on the Volks? I'm assuming 225/50-15, just wanted to check. You find the SU parts you need yet?

crankwalk
7/31/13 4:39 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: I just read through this again, and I have another question. What size tires are you running on the Volks? I'm assuming 225/50-15, just wanted to check. You find the SU parts you need yet?

Yep 225/50/15. I haven't found the carb parts yet. I'd love to just get that nozzle but eventually I'll break down and buy a $180 refresh kit from Z Therapy.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/13 4:47 p.m.

These cars look so damn good. Why can't Nissan make a car look this good against .

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
8/1/13 11:40 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Sweet. I just ordered some 225/50-15's for my car. What are the chances you can find some SU parts on eBay? Local junkyard? Somebody on here has to have some SU parts hanging around.

crankwalk
8/1/13 4:24 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: In reply to crankwalk: Sweet. I just ordered some 225/50-15's for my car. What are the chances you can find some SU parts on eBay? Local junkyard? Somebody on here has to have some SU parts hanging around.

I know it's harder than it seems! I really just need that one nozzle but I mean look at the car, everything SHOULD be replaced.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
8/2/13 10:39 p.m.

I noticed the ignition coil in the earlier pictures is blue and in the latest picture it appears yellow.

I think early Datsun’s used external ballast resistors or the ignition coil has an internal resistor.

You mentioned the coil was getting hot and the car ran poorly.

If the wrong type of coil was installed, it would work ok for a few min and the car would then run really bad. Your points would fry pretty fast too.

crankwalk
8/4/13 11:05 a.m.
fujioko wrote: I noticed the ignition coil in the earlier pictures is blue and in the latest picture it appears yellow. I think early Datsun’s used external ballast resistors or the ignition coil has an internal resistor. You mentioned the coil was getting hot and the car ran poorly. If the wrong type of coil was installed, it would work ok for a few min and the car would then run really bad. Your points would fry pretty fast too.

There is a ballast that is external that is underneath the coil. I swapped between the unknown blue coil and the yellow Accel coil a few times and it still was doing it. That is something to think about though it may be the ballast itself.

Since the back carb is leaking that is for sure going to need some attention and then I'll get back to the spark side of things.

Thanks for the input

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/4/13 1:26 p.m.
nocones wrote: These cars look so damn good. Why can't Nissan make a car look this good against .

x 100.

I am expecting a 240Z or 510 out soon with this anniversary Nissan celebrates soon (reference Jay Leno Japan visit).............BAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH. Man, I crack myself up.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/4/13 1:35 p.m.

Introducing the new "Altima 510" and our smaller sports car the 240TZ......

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ekYGy9mjzhsEjw7NT1kOxMXjFB5ZXiRnijQoAOT8F3ZVMRMTWbtZ88Qa9lMDetAt