1 2 3 4
m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/18 2:06 p.m.

Been wanting a motorhome for a long time, initially was looking at 40' diesel pushers, when we planned on full timing.  Those plans changed.

I've always loved the little Vixens, but they remain out of budget, even for a basketcase.

I came across this 1973 GMC on my local CL:

It has a milk crate and a half of documentation, including all manuals.  

It belong to an old couple who loved it dearly, at one time.  They did some modifications, some which I've discovered in my limited time with it, including swapping the 16.5" OEM wheels for 16" Alcoas (if I'm lucky, they are the recalled ones from the 90s), installed lockouts/schrader valves on the air bags, reconfigured the kitchen for more storage (it has a 2 burner cooktop with no oven instead of a 3 or 4 burner stove+oven)

It's been resprayed factory color (Bittersweet) at some point - not a great job, but a decent 30'er)

It seems the husband got sick ~2002 and the coach sat, he died in 2006 followed by his wife in 2016.  The coach was left to their daughter.  She sold it to a family friend who planned on doing a big budget restoration.  A brand new septic system later and he decided to sell it.

I bought it for ~60% of the asking price.  Multiple people had offered to buy it, but no one could arrange transport.  THe fact that the tires are dry rotted meant it needs to be on a trailer, a Landoll trailer is the prefered method of transport.

I planned on using AAA.  The day I purchased it, AAA arranged for a tow, but eventually I was told it could only be towed to a repair facility, since it isn't registered in my name.  I told the guy I bought it from I'd get it registered Monday and then get AAA to tow it.  He didn't think I could get it registered, since I couldn't take it in for an inspection.

Me, being the sneaky bastard I am, registered it as an antique and did the title transfer that way.  So she'll get antique plates/registration good for 5 years (and only $50!).  Antique vehicles don't need yearly inspections.

I then called AAA and scheduled a tow for Wednesday.  I called them multiple times and requested they find a provider with a Landoll trailer.  But I was told they wouldn't attempt to dispatch until 45 minutes before my scheduled tow time.

Finally the time came and they couldn't find a provider.  So I'm paying out of pocket ~$475 to get it towed (actually the same trailer/company in the photos from the CL ad, which I'll post below) and then AAA should reimburse me.

I should get it to my house tomorrow morning.

Immediate plans are get it running, driving, stopping.  So fuel/brakes/tires and check out the other systems.  Interior is pretty decent except for needing a mattress in the rear, a panel under the sink, and sagging headliner.

m4ff3w
7/13/18 2:08 p.m.

m4ff3w
7/13/18 2:09 p.m.

m4ff3w
7/13/18 2:10 p.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/13/18 2:20 p.m.

I have always loved these. I wondered how hard it would be to 6.5TD swap one using the Toronado front end? 

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
7/13/18 2:24 p.m.

This makes me jelly. I would love a legit old motorhome.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/13/18 2:28 p.m.

I hope you get the $$$$ back from the AutoClub , 

here they would probably just laugh at you unless you had an RV account.

m4ff3w
7/13/18 2:30 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I hope you get the $$$$ back from the AutoClub , 

here they would probably just laugh at you unless you had an RV account.

I do have Premier+RV

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
7/13/18 2:33 p.m.

That thing looks awesome.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/18 2:35 p.m.

That's a pretty cool RV and looks like a good deal!

m4ff3w
7/13/18 2:45 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I have always loved these. I wondered how hard it would be to 6.5TD swap one using the Toronado front end? 

Not easy, but has been done.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/13/18 2:56 p.m.

Watching the show!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/13/18 2:57 p.m.

I had friends whose parents had one of these along with a Subaru van painted to match that they flat towed behind it.

They had a custom mural of the motorhome and van airbrushed on the sides , because just looking at the motorhome and van apparently wasn't enough.

I'd tell you about some of the trips we took in that thing....If I could remember them. Great times.

Looking forward to following along.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/18 4:31 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

I’m guessing some of them may have been while the rig was parked? 

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
7/13/18 4:48 p.m.

My parents bought one of those new and used it for several years (and sometimes towed a Jensen Healey with it). They said it was great in the snow and other than the airbags leaking pretty reliable. I have heard of them catching on fire from the rear wheel bearings failing (which are a frequent maintenance item) but nothing else too bad.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
7/13/18 5:05 p.m.

Damn, that land-barge looks AWESOME. Space-Wizard side mural when? Or are you going late 70s brown with side stripes?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/18 5:09 p.m.

Very awesome. I came very close to buying one of those before I bought SanFord. 

Looking forward to the updates. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/13/18 6:26 p.m.

I love it.  One that nice deserves to be kept in all its 1970s glory.

The burnt orange color is cool, but from what I've found online it appears the Palm Beach model originally came in a wild two tone green color combination.

m4ff3w
7/13/18 6:39 p.m.

The color is original, the seller mis-labeled the ad.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/13/18 6:45 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

I used to sell those when they were new. Never been in a better motorhome.  Fantastic value for the money.  

I know a lot of people try to  convert them to diesels but never seen one that worked as well as the original.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/18 6:52 p.m.

Damn, that is super dope!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/13/18 7:07 p.m.

Love, love, love those. Sounds like you bought well.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
7/13/18 7:13 p.m.

Man my uncle had a very similar one when I was a youngster. I still remember the smell of it.

That looks awesome!

m4ff3w
7/13/18 7:32 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Love, love, love those. Sounds like you bought well.

That's TBD... Hopefully you are correct!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/13/18 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Of Course!

We would never have driven, uh.. er.. impaired. Even back in the late 70's/early 80's.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ViZFLwhmwiN3mKtjHeVKS1c5FBpDJD7AGhZcdc0cGFLHocRyfvOheRB2Lk5JMllH