1 2 3 4
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/19/18 3:04 p.m.

I wonder how many MPH extra they got by contouring the windshield  roof overhang into the body.......

any idea how fast it ran ?    

Maybe it needs an "A team"  stripe :)`

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/19/18 3:50 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

From their website with lots more pics https://www.gmclsr.com/

On August 15, 2016, the CMTA Land Speed Racing Motorhome achieved a top speed of 122.156 mph making her the fastest "Class A" RV on the planet.   Our Nitrous Injected 502 Ram Jet performed flawlessly however we were slowed down by a temperamental TH425 transmission that eventually decided to catastrophically disassemble itself on our last run.

SONICJK
SONICJK New Reader
7/20/18 9:05 a.m.
stylngle2003 said:

Sonic, that interior is amazing.  Any more pics?

I love the orange.  And the name Onan the Barbarian.  Following along

Yep www.thegmcrv.com

Don't want to impose on this thread. 

The landspeed GMC is awesome, and they run it for a good cause. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/18 10:08 a.m.
SONICJK said:
stylngle2003 said:

Sonic, that interior is amazing.  Any more pics?

I love the orange.  And the name Onan the Barbarian.  Following along

Yep www.thegmcrv.com

Don't want to impose on this thread. 

The landspeed GMC is awesome, and they run it for a good cause. 

No imposition, inspiration!

Things have been hectic this week, not much progress since Sunday.  The fuel gauge for the main tank is off, there was less than 5 gallons in it.  it is now empty.  What came out wasn't fuel, but there wasn't a bunch of rust and gunk either.  

Aux tank does seem full though, but the drain plug for it is fubared.  

My goal for this weekend is it verify the fuel return goes to the main tank.  If it does, I'm going to block of the fuel filler to the aux tank and see if I can't get 10 gallons of fresh fuel in the main tank.  That should give me clean fresh fuel to get it running and also supply fuel for the generator, which I'd like to get running this weekend as well.  I was able to get the generator to slide out of the cubby last night and it turns over.  The remote start swtich doesn't appear to be connected, as I'd tried it previously.

I need to see if I can get the seized drum freed up as well.  

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/21/18 12:01 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:
SONICJK said:

Yeah man I'm a bit of a lurker around here. 

I've got a lot of projects, an e30 rallycross car is next on the docket! 

I really like the white on the inside , most campers are dark wood and when old look depressing , 

Great Job

^^^^ This. Wow. 

m4ff3w
7/23/18 8:43 a.m.

Didn't meet my goal this weekend.   

Did manage to get the T in the filler line removed between the two tanks, so I can cap off the aux tank.  I also found the return line plumbed into the filler line, so as soon as I find a length of 1 3/8" filler hose, I should be good to pour some fuel back in and actually start her.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
7/23/18 6:18 p.m.

This is so cool.  I've been following along, because I'd love to do something like this, and drive it cross country. 

Funny thing, while I was cleaning up the house this weekend, I came across this old Hot Wheels I had as a kid:

m4ff3w
1/7/19 11:21 a.m.

Towards the end of the summer I was able to get both fuel tanks out, the rear was trash and the front is questionable.  I scored much better tanks a couple of weeks ago from a kind old timer GMC guy.  They just need to be flushed and resealed, they were on his running coach until a couple of months ago.  I'll need at least one new sender, likely both.

I had a seized drum, got it unstuck.

It only took 6 or 7 months, but the GMC drove around the block yesterday and got it pulled into the driveway, instead of curbside. 

I made new Cunifer brake lines from master cylinder to combination valve and from combination valve to front wheels (i accidentailly ordered extra 3/16 and not any 1/4, so I haven't done rear yet) and installed new brake hoses up front.  I also replaced the rusty master cylinder and combination valve with new ones (brass for the combination valve)

I must say, the Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool is AMAZING.  Making the flares was super easy.  I need to run the rear lines and and will make some  cunifer fuel lines from the rear of the coach to forward as well.

Lots more work, but big mental hurdle overcome though.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Awesome!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
1/7/19 1:13 p.m.

How much does it cost for  a Th425 rebuilt trans done right ?

Might be interesting for a  front wheel drive tow truck idea....

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/7/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Nice! Glad to see it moved! 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/7/19 2:56 p.m.

Well the problem is finding a shop with someone who knows those transmissions. That’s the first step in getting it built right. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/7/19 3:37 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Well the problem is finding a shop with someone who knows those transmissions. That’s the first step in getting it built right. 

besides the chain drive part isn't it just the same as a th400?

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/19 10:00 a.m.

One of these made it into "Crack Pipe or Nice Price" on Jalopnik: https://jalopnik.com/at-17-900-could-you-see-yourself-motoring-home-in-thi-1831543487

SONICJK
SONICJK New Reader
1/8/19 1:28 p.m.

I'm very glad to see that this is still moving forward!
keep at it, it's worth the work 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/8/19 9:02 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

besides the chain drive part isn't it just the same as a th400?

Technically yes, but I have heard nightmares of people getting them rebuilt and them having a short lifespan. Not sure why, but I hear about it often. 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/9/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

Has if been done? I thought there were nearly impossible problems to overcome getting the pumpkin to sit next to the oil pan and work. The drive through the sump system has been used by these trannies, then there was an overdrive version called TH325L4 or something I think? It was for small block Olds motors I believe. Then there were the 2010ish trailblazers and the Acura Legend/RL from 1994-2005 or so I think. It's really hard to use one of these trannies with the engine not meant for it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epj9axIs9deiwwQpWdenb7cCf6K10BVERrlJ3PRywE86pA2KHTjgEdgrHS5FbmAc