1 2 3 4 ... 8
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/19/13 8:42 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Thanks for the info! I have this weird feeling too that if I can adjust them or tweak something then they'll be fine...I just can't figure out what. Does the part you're referring to look like a little roller? If so, I found one of those in the center console. I figured it was a runner for the window, I just need to figure out where it goes.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
6/19/13 11:54 a.m.

yes. it's kinda like a roller. mine weren't exactly round, more octagon shape but that may be from wear. I just remember one of them fell off during the time my car sat in pieces in the garage and it wouldn't work hardly at all without it.

they go on the metal part of the window near the bottom, spaced apart about the same width as the tracks. I can't remember exactly how they attach to the window but I do remember they fall off very easy

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/19/13 12:14 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Thanks. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to get this thing legal so my apartment complex won't tow it. Hopefully I can tackle these windows on Friday and Saturday and get them to close so I can take the tattered car cover off this thing! I'll let you know what I come up with and I'll try to take some more pictures. The driver's window is the worst, but the psgr one is rough too. Hopefully it has most of the pieces installed properly though and I can use that side to compare to. Fingers crossed..

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/20/13 8:28 a.m.

I'm headed to the wonderful DMV this morning to get this thing titled & registered so my apt. complex won't tow it. Hopefully the 1979 title doesn't give me any issues. In a few hours it should be legal!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/20/13 12:06 p.m.

It's legal now! Got it registered and titled this morning, and my antique plates will be in the mail soon! Now I just gotta get it roadworthy and I can start driving it!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/13 2:43 p.m.

Nice job. I need to get my plate for mine just so I can drive it down for an autocross.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/22/13 3:24 p.m.

My brother and I took the Z for it's inaugural drive today! I aired up the rear tires, inspected the front and rear brakes (they need some work-need brake hoses and possibly a master cylinder), put my skid plate back on, and added a couple gallons of premium. I just drove around the neighborhood since I only have an e-brake, but it went well! The front tires were low and there's a pretty good wobble in the steering wheel, so I'll have to check that out. There's definitely a LOT of work to do still, but it was encouraging to get a few things done in just a couple hours!

Here's my brother and I tinkering on our classics.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/22/13 3:25 p.m.

Oh, and if any of you want a Maxima, the proceeds from the sale would go to helping me get this Z on the road!

crankwalk
6/23/13 10:44 a.m.

Nice! We both did our first drives on Z's the same day

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/13 10:12 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

very cool!

now, no more drives until the brakes are working properly!

once the brakes are done, try inflating all four tires to about 50 psi and driving like that for a couple weeks. chances are you've got some "flat spots" in teh tire carcasses just from sitting. i had that problem with a 944 that sat for about 5 years, and two weeks of driving at 55psi made them round again.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/24/13 12:20 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Haha, yeah, it definitely needs brakes. I just drove it around at 10 mph or so, so the e-brake worked fine. I didn't get a chance to inflate the front tires, so they were low and flat spotted. I'll try the 55 psi trick and see what happens. Thanks!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
6/29/13 12:57 p.m.

so I got my shifter pulled out, measured everything, blueprint is drawn, now if my garage wasn't 100 degrees I could get those bushings cut and headed your way. just so we are on the same page, you do want the bushings that sit inside the shift lever pivot point on the pin right? I'd hate to make them only to find out you wanted the one that goes on the very bottom of the shift lever ball. . . that one I cant do. . . atleast not until I get a machine with 3D milling capabilities I could do it at my new job but they aren't nearly as cool about personal projects as the last machine shop I worked in.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/29/13 2:15 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Awesome, thanks! This is what I'm referring to...at least I'm assuming that's what is making the shifter flop around like a wet noodle. :-)

http://www.courtesyparts.com/shifter-bushing-240z-260z-280z-280zx-m/t-p-568963.html?cPath=7724_7755&

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
6/29/13 6:07 p.m.

yes those. just wanted to make sure. should have them cut in the next day or two. i'll probly make a few sets while i'm all set up for them, test fit a pair in my car, then send em your way.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/29/13 9:22 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Awesome, you're the man! How do you want to do payment? If you trust me I can send you a check once I get them. If not, we could do Paypal or something, I think my wife has an account.

crankwalk
6/29/13 10:03 p.m.

I'm pretty sure my bushings are ok but I wanna see what those do. I may need to throw some money your way too.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
6/30/13 10:51 a.m.

well, not to say I don't trust you, I just hate the hassle of an out of state check, they take forever to clear, etc. PP is just a lot easier to deal with, even though they do take a small cut, it's fast and easy. but we can worry about that once I get them done and ready to send out, should be today.

and crank, your welcome to a pair also if you decide you want them. Like I told seth, I have been using the brass versions for almost 10 years now with no change in feel. way better than the generic factory pieces.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/30/13 11:48 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

No prob. I don't know that I've used PayPal for anything other than eBay, so you may have to instruct me on how to do it for a person to person transaction. Thanks!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
6/30/13 11:52 a.m.

On a car update note, I am going to try to order some brake hoses and a master cylinder here soon so I can have some brakes. I think if I can get the brakes going, bleed the clutch, air up the tires to 55 psi or so, I can take it for a good run to just get an idea where I'm at. It has been a little hard to start the past couple times, but once it starts it runs well and idles smoothly. I have a feeling once I burn out some of the old crud from the lines and change the fuel filter it will be much better. A good test drive should give me an idea for other needed items too. I can't wait!

Oh, and if I could ever figure out my windows I could take the tarp and shredded cover off of it too!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/10/13 12:04 p.m.

Tomorrow is Z day! I hope to get the windows properly adjusted, order a brake master cylinder at Advance, and head to the junkyard in search of a side mirror. I would really like to drive this thing to the next Cars & Coffee on August 3, so getting it roadworthy is my goal for the week. More to come!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/10/13 2:47 p.m.

ok so I have had your bushings done for a few days now, sadly I am so broke I can't even afford to ship them (my employer want's top notch machine work at McD's wages) but I assure you I will get them sent out this weekend. pp is easy for a regular transaction, just log in and put the email of the person you are sending it to and the dollar amount. but don't worry about that till I ship them out.

Oh and good luck on Z day! I think my Z day will consist of washing mine

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/10/13 11:10 p.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

Sounds good, I'm not really in a rush for them at all. It shifts the way it is, so I can still drive it once I get the brakes up to par. Just send them whenever its convenient for you.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/11/13 12:29 p.m.

I had a pretty successful morning. First I headed to Advance Auto to order a master cylinder-there I discovered that I can get it online for cheaper. I'll be ordering that later today.

Next I headed to East Coast Z, a Z junkyard off Bainbridge Blvd. in Chesapeake. As is common, it wasn't open (the owner is about as reliable as a broken watch), so I decided to head to another one of my favorite junkyards, Always Used Auto Parts.

I don't always have a ton of success there, but it is one of the most fun junkyards to walk through due to the old cars you can find in the WAY, WAY back. Here are a few of the cars I passed along the way.

Remnants of a Daihatsu Rocky

Fiat X1/9 Bertone

A very strange "custom" Beetle

Poor MR2

Awesome old Corolla wagon

Anyone ever seen this sticker before? Is it OEM? If so, I want one! I'm tempted to buy the whole window just to get the sticker!

Just when I thought my trek was going to be unsuccessful, and I had headed back toward the entrance, I saw a section with a few newer (Z31 and Z32) Z's in it. Then I spotted it...a lone S30! And it was my cars twin! A blue '75, the only difference being that this one was an automatic.

I was able to snatch an ignition w/ key, a psgr side door lock cylinder, and a B-pillar Z emblem for $35.

There are probably a few bigger items I can snag off here too, but I decided to just get these few things for now. I also took pics of how the window regulator was adjusted, since the psgr window went up and down really smoothly.

I got home, plugged in the ignition, and she fired right up! Definitely a successful day! Hopefully tomorrow I can mess with the windows.

crankwalk
7/11/13 12:53 p.m.

Nice! I wish I had an x19 close, I need the passenger door latch and striker for the 308.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
7/11/13 3:35 p.m.

FYI if that ignition lock cylinder does not work out RockAuto has one on close out for $10 plus shipping. Just look it up for a 1976.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
St9S8Oeu5lpeEUrZoxqkSLolRuDjg6DoUjZB7sicFyDParW4wT8M5rJIbTWVEtdg