1 ... 5 6 7 8
PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/4/13 10:31 a.m.

Yeah, it’s currently take up space in the driveway with a missing rocker panel and blown wheel cylinder. I’ve been wanting to sell because I’m a bit overwhelmed by the body work it needs but I keep reading your Z thread and some others so I’ve decided to keep it for now.

I’ll take some pictures of the pump setup tomorrow morning. It’s mounted in the stock bracket but with an extra piece of foam around the pump because it’s narrower then the original.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/4/13 11:39 a.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

Glad my thread is giving you some encouragement on your project! Thanks for taking a pic...I think I'll just get that Airtex or something similar. I'm kinda cheap and don't have plans to turbocharge, so I may get something a little more basic. It looks like most of the universal ones that are designed to work with this car flow at 30 gph, not 50 like the one you got. Do you know what the stock one is rated at?

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/4/13 1:15 p.m.

I think stock was around 35 gph so any aftermarket will be close enough. The 50 was on close out from Rockauto so that made my decision easier since it fit in my challenge budget

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/4/13 3:55 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Glad my thread is giving you some encouragement on your project!

This thread is also encouraging me to get back to work on my 280Z. I've been busy with selling my old house, buying a new one, getting married and working on her old house so we can sell it. Unfortunately, the car has been neglected for some time but at least it runs and sees the road every once in a while.

Soon, I'll start spinning some wrenches in the garage and start my own project thread.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/4/13 10:19 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

I searched the part # on RockAuto and the 50 gph one is cheaper than the 30! Since you have first hand experience with it I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on it so I can get this thing running!

In reply to jimbob_racing:

Let's see some pics of your Z! You should definitely get back on it...I have seen so many Z's around my area lately, it's been motivating me to get mine back on the road!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/5/13 12:17 p.m.

Picked this up at the local flea market this morning for 5 bucks! Old school but new in the box! This will be perfect for use on the Z once I get it running! If I get a chance today (gotta do rear shoes on my buddy's Cobalt ) I'm going to order the fuel pump.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/5/13 12:18 p.m.

Wow, I just realized how blurry that pic is...sorry.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/5/13 12:19 p.m.

I looked in your Garage...our cars are twins! Both blue 75's! Yours looks great with the Swastikas on there! Would love to hear/see more!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/5/13 7:08 p.m.

I"ll get a thread started soon. I need to finish some remodeling on my wife's old house first. We need to get it on the market and make it go away.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/5/13 10:54 p.m.

Haha, fair enough. Looking forward to more details on the car!

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/6/13 3:23 p.m.

Rain stopped briefly so I went out and too a quick picture of the pump.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/6/13 6:16 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

Cool, thanks! I ordered mine yesterday!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/16/13 11:25 p.m.

My fuel pump finally arrived! Hopefully I can put it in tomorrow...good news to come I hope!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/17/13 1:35 a.m.

good deal!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/17/13 11:05 p.m.

Well, it was a semi-successful morning. I installed the fuel pump, and after a few cranks she fired up!!

Running!

I was SUPER stoked, of course. I let it idle a while and kept an eye on the gauges. The car revved up GREAT, which also pleased me immensely. Then I thought, "What the heck?! It's time for a test drive!" So I headed out through my neighborhood/complex, and then headed into the neighborhood across the street. So far so good. I didn't get too far into the next neighborhood, when I started having the same issue. I limped it home, then remembered to check my AFM connection (the clip is missing, so I have a zip tie around it ) It wasn't tight, and it ran well again after plugging it in better--need to find a clip for that connector. But after more idling and messing around, it still is popping and missing when revving. My new fuel filter already looks like this:

I'm thinking I need to replace the filter already, and maybe add another one in? I'm also wondering if I should just try to source a used tank from a dry, non-rusty climate. I'm going to start checking Arizona, Cali, Nevada, and New Mexico Craigslist--maybe I can find one that someone will ship me. Anyone have any ideas?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/17/13 11:11 p.m.

I just watched the video, and I thought of a couple things:

First, I apologize if you get sick.

Second, I plan on making the hose coming from the filter shorter. It worked well like that with the stock pump, but I had to shift things around a little to put in the other pump, and I figured if it all worked and the car ran then I could shorten the hose later.

utahznevada
utahznevada New Reader
10/18/13 12:08 a.m.

1st: I do not think two fuel filters in series will be any more beneficial than one. Make sure you also check and change the regular high pressure filter in the engine bay if you have not already done so. I also do not believe the length of the hose should make a difference. 2nd: The Fuel injector harnesses will likely need to be changed at some time. I found a great souce on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/331015395725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_6383wt_986 For the AFM alone: http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-Datsun-280z-280zx-Air-Flow-Meter-AFM-Sensor-Pigtail-Harness-Connector-Boot/400572290147?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18241%26meid%3D2062309543454421567%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8344%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D331015395725%26#ht_3726wt_986 These above connectors have the clip incorporated. I researched it extensively and this is what I came up with. 3rd: Once all the rust is out of the tank, it should clear up. Unfortunately, I would drop the tank and re-evaluate it. Fuel tanks are almost impossible to find. The Z Source will sell you one only if they get yours.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/18/13 7:43 a.m.

In reply to utahznevada:

I was just going to shorten that hose so it's not hanging so low. I know my injector harnesses need replacement at some point, and it's great to know I can get an AFM pigtail too! Thanks for the link!

I found a few tanks on car-part.com, but I'm sure shipping from CA will be outrageous. I'm thinking I should just drop the tank again and do a more thorough job. Put bolts in it, shake it around for days, flush it out with a hose, compressed air, maybe even take it to a radiator shop for a hot tanking.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/18/13 8:14 a.m.

If you need an AFM clip right away, let me know. I checked my parts stash and I have a used one that I could mail to you for free.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/18/13 11:16 a.m.

PM sent!

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/18/13 11:38 a.m.

Have you checked fuel pressure?

Same thing happened to me after I cleaned my tank the first time. The ½” line coming out of the tank was clogged with rust and I had to snake it out. After that I back flushed it with a garden hose, then filled the tank with water, and verified it flowed out the ½” line. After that my fuel pressure was fine and the car ran great.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/18/13 12:13 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

No, that is on the list. I should just get an in-line pressure gauge and install it and leave it there. I tried to snake that line out when I had the tank out, but had trouble getting a coat hanger around the corners. I could blow through it with my mouth, so I figured it was good, but maybe that's not enough. Would it be bad to put compressed air through it? It seems like when the car is off, the sediment settles and it will then right well for a few minutes, but after it all gets churned up it starts not wanting to rev.

I will get a pressure gauge ASAP-I know you have recommended it multiple times, I need to stop slacking and do it!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/18/13 12:55 p.m.

Got a quote on the fuel tank I asked about on car-part.com. $200 for the tank plus $190 for shipping...yuck.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/13 11:12 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Got a quote on the fuel tank I asked about on car-part.com. $200 for the tank plus $190 for shipping...yuck.

If you can save your tank, do that. I filled mine with CLR and a hint of Muriatic Acid and then flushed it out.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/21/13 12:15 p.m.

Yeah, I think saving the tank is my best bet. I'm going to call a local radiator shop too, and see what they charge to dunk it and clean it all out.

The thought of selling this car has crossed my mind lately, but I'm not going to rush into it. Our main car ('97 CR-V with 201k on it) seems like it constantly needs work, and it still has issues. I can't get the oil pan gasket to seal, and it has a weird engine noise that I haven't been able to pinpoint (I think it's water pump or oil pump). I'm just tired of working on it. I'm tempted to sell this, sell the CR-V, and pool our car savings funds and buy something a lot newer and with less miles for our family car (thinking newer CR-V or Rav4 or Mazda5). I'm still just contemplating this, so we'll see. I always seem to bite off more than I can chew, and without a garage, projects are just a hassle. I really just need a fun, reliable DD.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7scUkFnoqQqo61EEkD59jm7nHWWixggD8vLqkviS6nc8Jmj3RmbSoCZ5yJsqlrB