1 2
81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/13/13 8:49 a.m.

I picked up a 75 MGB last weekend (5/5) for a good price, so something else to play with. It is a one-owner car with 70K on it, spent a good bit of time sitting around.

It looked funny picking up such a small car with a 28ft enclosed trailer, but that is what I have. The MGB is small compared to my Camaro, I can actually walk around the car in the trailer easily. It's now in the garage.

Interior shot, it might need just a little work here?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/13/13 9:01 a.m.

The engine is mostly original, with a SU HIF6 carb replacing the ZS. The emissions stuff was removed as well, mainly the air pump parts. It was running rough when I got it, cleaning the carb and a new set of plugs has it running like it should. It doesn't burn any oil or make any funny sounds so that is a plus. It has a 4-speed with electric overdrive.

It had a bunch of work done in Nov '09 which costs the owner a bunch o cash. They did a new radiator, electronic ignition conversion, cap, rotor, wires, all rubber fuel hoses, new electric fuel pump, fuel tank, and rewired part of the harness due to it loosing the magic smoke. The brake system was redone as well, including master cylinder, calipers, pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, shoes, rubber hoses and steel lines, and parking brake cables. The exhaust is new as well. There probably are a few other things I am forgetting.

Bad parts: Needs the OD wiring fixed yet, it isn't working per the owner so that should be fun. The steering rack is messed up, it is hard to turn and sometimes it won't turn very far. I will be getting a new rack for it. Interior is fairly shot, drivers seat is missing the bottom cover altogether. Interior stuff isn't cheap for this car, which sucks considering how small it is. Paint is mostly original, with some signs of spot repairs. Rust is minimal, mainly a couple holes in the floorboards so that will be easy to fix. Tires need to be replaced before driving it very far, a bit of dry rot with them.

I did buff the paint out some, I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take some.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
5/13/13 9:40 a.m.

Looks like a fun project. Hope you get to get it out and beat on it a little.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/13/13 9:57 a.m.

Oh I will beat on it some, just need a new steering rack and safer tires than the old as heck ones on it. Unfortunately it was one of the years that didn't have any sway bars, front or rear, should make for a fun time. That will be a future upgrade for sure.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/13 11:24 a.m.

MGBs were the first sports cars that I fell in love with. There were several that messed me up during my formative years. They are more comfortable than Miatas.

Keep the rubber bumpers.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/13/13 12:37 p.m.

If it's a J-type overdrive, the wiring is pretty easy: power > switch > solenoid, with a light off a 2nd terminal of the switch.

If it's a D-type, the solenoid draws more current when engaged, so you'll want a relay.

I'm also a fan of rubber bumper B's - especially when painted body color. Really gives the car a more modern look.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/13/13 1:23 p.m.

It is listed as having a LH-type overdrive, which may be the J-type you are refering to. Earlier cars have the D-type overdrive (67-earlier). I haven't put the car up on stands yet to see what it looks like underneath. I do know the overdrive/wiper/washer switch is bad, so I need to get one first before I can verify the rest of the wiring. Hopefully the shop that fixed the burnt wires did the job right, they specialize in British cars.

Rubber bumpers will stay for the street, too many bad drivers out there.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
5/13/13 1:29 p.m.

I have come to love the rubber bumper B's. Nice score, and keep us posted.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
5/13/13 2:08 p.m.

As a fellow 2nd gen F-body and MGB owner I will be following this one. Rubber bumper MBG's have been growing on me, I think they have aged really well.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
5/13/13 2:15 p.m.

The big thing on the RBBs is the ride height, which really jacked up the handling. Especially on '75 and '76, where they didn't have a rear sway.

If you need a rack anyway, find a CBB x-member and use the CBB rack. That'll bring the front back where it needs to be. On the rear, just have the springs re-arched and install a sway bar. You'll have a good-handling RBB on the cheap.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/13/13 2:57 p.m.

Tim, the 75 & 76 didn't have a front sway bar either, what a brilliant idea MG/Leyland. I'm interested to see how it drives, with no sway bars, especially since the springs are rather soft.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/13 3:11 p.m.

Colin Chapman skipped sway bars on a few cars, too.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
5/13/13 4:19 p.m.

Yeah, but Colin Chapman was way smarter than than mid-70s BL engineers. You can't omit the bars at the same time you jack it up an inch and a half, and then put softer springs on too.

I don't recall them omitting the front, but it's been awhile.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
5/13/13 4:51 p.m.

Drop by for a cook refreshing glass of Kool-aid...

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/list.php?1

All the help you will ever need when it comes to these cars. How solid are the floors and sills?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/13/13 8:16 p.m.

Nohome, I did find that site, comes up in searches quite often, plenty of good info. Sills are in good shape and the floors have a couple holes in the front part. Mostly minor spots, should be easy to fix.

fujioko
fujioko New Reader
5/13/13 9:08 p.m.

Cool MG!

Rubber bumper MG's have a nice look to them. I have always been a fan of the rubber bumper MGBGT.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
5/15/13 8:23 p.m.

I took a buffer to the B, it helped out a bit. You can see the difference between this and the first shot.

Trunk is better but paint is still messed up, it looks like something got onto the paint.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/16/13 1:10 p.m.

Very neat! I'll be subscribing.

If you haven't seen the show "An MG is Born" (or something to that effect)...I highly recommend it. Very inspirational, even if you don't have an MG (and I assume even more so if you do). I'm sure someone who's not at work can post a link

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/13/13 9:07 p.m.

Been a while since an update, too many other things to do lately. Finally got a new steering rack for it, along with some lower control arms bushings (they were shot big time). Took most of the day to do it.

So today it finally made it out of the garage and around the neighborhood. Still have some tuning to do on the carb, tempermental SU HIF44. Definitely not a speed demon with only 62.5 hp.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
7/14/13 11:19 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: So today it finally made it out of the garage and around the neighborhood. Still have some tuning to do on the carb, tempermental SU HIF44. Definitely not a speed demon with only 62.5 hp.

You are aware that there are kits availble for putting a GM 60 degree V6 or a ford 302 under the bonnet,right?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
7/14/13 12:02 p.m.

Yep, well aware of the engine swap kits out there. Not looking to do that at this time, just get it running right.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/13 5:26 p.m.

Nice looking MGB. I know its not original but if it were mine I'd be looking into how much a chrome bumper conversion is.

Apparently a ford 302 fits pretty well

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
7/14/13 6:24 p.m.

Moss does have chrome bumper conversions, about $2500 for both ends. Rubber bumpers are just fine.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/13 7:32 p.m.

You can get Moss parts from a variety of resellers (such as The B Hive) for about a 15% discount. FYI.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/14/13 7:34 p.m.

Yay for fun cheap projects!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MZN1bdMGFxnRdjecY83zu9HCnk9N94JfFDVLE9oOX20QLtJWVbjJ5xsknkPKLBPn