1 2 3
RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/30/19 11:31 p.m.

Ex-MOD and RAF, 101 Forward Control GS Rapier Missile carrier, RHD, FFW, 24V, full time all wheel drive with center diff lock and somewhat rare PTO driven winch.

The largest British "Roadster" I have ever owned. wink

Runs but I'm doing some brake work as it has sat a long time.

My new hunting and camping rig. I want to keep it as stock appearing as possible so no major modifications are planned.

Cots, portable stove, and propane/electric refrigerator are about all I expect to need.

I will also modify a canvas top (Tilt) to include a larger window on the left side for better vision on left turns.

More pics at my Garage.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/30/19 11:32 p.m.

I'm all in on this one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/30/19 11:35 p.m.

101s are AWESOME.

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
8/31/19 7:29 a.m.

Excellent, I love 101s yes

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/2/19 11:57 a.m.

Original failure prone Plastic brake reservoirs have been replaced with new aluminum parts.

MC's and front brake cylinders are done, front brake shoes replaced.

Hoping to get the rear done today.

preach
preach New Reader
9/2/19 4:01 p.m.

Very cool!

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
9/2/19 6:04 p.m.

That is bloody fantastic!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/2/19 11:04 p.m.

Got the brakes back together, in the rain.

Hey, it is an English car!

Now just need to find a helper to bleed them.

If the clutch is not stuck it should be a driver this week. 

Ottawa
Ottawa Reader
9/3/19 1:15 p.m.

I agree with Keith, 101s are AWESOME.

Especially Vampires, but any 101 will do.

I need a lot more pics and details. Where was it for sale, how much did you pay, etc.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/3/19 10:56 p.m.

Sale?

No, a gift from a friend. And will never be for sale, partly as that was a condition of the gift. (Unless he dies first, we are both 64 YO)

He had three of them and is keeping the ambulance version.

If you've seen a very shiny green GS for sale recently, that one used to be his too.

Like every "Free" vehicle I've ever had this one is a bit of a money pit for now. frown

Sat a long time and I've had to replace the entire brake system.

Today I began removing the rag top, as it is pretty much a rag. 

Going to make a short tilt (Cab top) for it. Canvas for now, hopefully a tropical roof later.

Got my VIN inspection this morning so hopefully I am close to a title and registration.

Oh, and since I began to remove the canvas it rained all afternoon. surprise

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/4/19 11:31 p.m.

So here it is with the ragged canvas and FFW ground-plane removed.

Still need to bleed the brakes but I did get the papers filed with the court to hopefully end up with a title soon. 

Debating taking off the hood sticks as I'm not sure if I should just put the "better" used canvas on or not.

For now I have a cheap tarp covering the cab area as we are in thunder storm season here.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/19/19 12:38 a.m.

Well, knock me down with a feather! surprise

Judge issued the order for DMV to issue me a title.

So now I just need to pay some fees, update insurance, recharge both batteries, then get the lights and clutch working.

Got the brakes bled and wheels back on, having an issue with the clutch bleed.

I have a fairly nice manual vacuum bleeder but the hose fittings allow in air so it's not working very well.

Also bought some canvas today so that I may take a try at making a "Bikini Top" to work with the "Fume hood" I already have.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/19/19 7:54 a.m.

Best way to bleed a Series Rover is a gravity bleed.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/19/19 4:49 p.m.

Perhaps so, but this is not a Series Rover. surprise

The 101 FC has a convoluted path for the fluid.

The reservoir sits up on the dash and runs to the MC behind the column, from there to a union at the trans tunnel, then across the chassis to another union and hose which finally get to the slave cylinder.

What I really want is a spare reservoir cap so that I may set up a pressure bleed system.

For now I am looking for some spring-clamps to improve performane of the vacuum bleeder I have.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/19/19 5:06 p.m.

I'm not sure it is all that much different than a Series Rover. They were designed near the end of the Series IIa and produced at the same time as the Series III. They apparently share a high degree of brake line convolution.

cdowd
cdowd Dork
9/19/19 5:27 p.m.

Pilotbraden showed me the way of hooking up a vacuum line to the bleeder and reving the engine. We used his rx7 to bleed my flat fender Willy’s when nothing else was working.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/19/19 9:48 p.m.

Well, now when I get the clutch working it will be legal to drive.

Title has been issued and my custom plates will arrive in about a month, "101 FC".  smiley

Wanted "Rule 303" but limited to five characters for the vintage style plate.

Need to get the sewing machine working to make a new top, all of a sudden Summer is over, like somebody threw a switch!

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
9/21/19 7:32 p.m.

This is now officially my new favorite thing on here!!  I love old British trucks!!! (Lorries laugh)

I have said for years that if I ever win the lottery, one of the first things I will do (after I buy a 288 GTO naturally) is find and import a Scammell Explorer.  Quite possibly the most awesomely cool truck ever made.

One of my go-to distractions is the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, so much cool stuff, mainly British, on there and some of the restorations....WOW!!    

I will be following this with great interest!!!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/24/19 11:58 p.m.

Bit of progress today.

Fixed the mouse-chewed fuel return line.

Then WASHED the engine, trans, and bed to be rid of the mouse nest and funk.

Now idles well but will not accelerate unless I have the choke partially on. sad

Ordered some new carb diaphragms today just in case they are needed, what I have are probably originals. no

Now need to brush up on how to tune these carbs, never really liked them, much prefer SU's.

At least I already have a Color-Tune.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/27/19 11:05 p.m.

Got to drive around the block today. Slowly, in low range.  smiley

Pulled the tops off of the carbs expecting trash diaphragms but they were fine.

Did clean the vacuum pistons and what I could reach inside the carbs without removing them.

Used carb spray and reassembled, seems to run better, actually responds to the throttle pedal now.

Need to buy a jet wrench.

Clutch is still stuck or the slave cylinder is not working despite being fully bled.

Local Cars & Coffee is just at the edge of my shop parking lot.

So I will just start it in gear for the 150' trip. wink

Will take some pics, to put it in scale next to the local Chargers, Camaro's, etc.

Once I get it back to the shop I am going to pull the slave cylinder and see if I can "See" anything that might relate to the clutch problem.

If that does not work I will probably have to pull the trans.

Which would not be a big deal except that I'm unsure how to disengage the PTO that runs the winch.

And that I will have to do it by myself. frown

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/28/19 2:50 p.m.

Cars & Coffee was very small today. 

The wind really was not THAT bad.

Rover was well received but I need a big sign, LAND-ROVER 101 FC, not a Pinz!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/29/19 10:08 p.m.

Well, knutz. sad

Looks like I will be pulling the transmission in order to correct the clutch issue.

Removed the slave and had a look at the operating rod and fork.

The slave would have no effect until the very end of it's travel.

Seems the pressure plate may be over-center, or maybe just stuck "Down" but still not turning freely?

In any case I see no way to correct it without wrenching.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
10/2/19 4:43 p.m.

But at least I now have a real deal physical title! yes

That's pretty big progress as several of the 101's in the U.S. do not have one.

I know at least one VERY NICE example is looking for a fourth or fifth owner due to not being able to be titled in the states it has been in.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/2/19 4:48 p.m.

Is the release fork bent? Probably can't get it out without dropping the gearbox, but check it carefully, especially if the pressure plate looks normal.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
10/2/19 6:15 p.m.

Rover sat for about eighteen years in the CA bay area.

So the disc is probably rusted to the fly-wheel and cover.

Diaphragm type, so could be "Over Center".

In any case I am getting ready to pull the trans.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
12qsXH9ey7RdVEBcKEZbBA8FKLAfiL1kySGOzbQceKyMFQ7pvBj9OUbyb6QaJKvY