Vworks
Vworks None
4/5/18 7:56 p.m.

Hello All,

long time lurker and Magazine reader, my first post here.

A little background; I have been building cars for quite a few years, lots of streetrod type stuff, more recently my version of a rat rod.  Always seems like I build something, finally get it on the road and than never use it.  I feel like my car hobby is laking a purpose lately, I need to build something that can do something other than putt around town.  

this leads me to my most recent project, a 1979 triumph spitfire (body tub, doors, windshield, roof, trunk lid from the original spitfire) tube frame, morgan aeromax inspired body, SBC, 5 spd, thunderbird 8.8 IRS.  

the project is at a point where it is almost complete, mechanically sound.  I am at a point where I either finish the project (interior and bodywork) as is and leave it a street rod, or change direction and install safety stuff and do something with it. 

I have a desire to join some kind of sanctioned race ( I do not expect to be competitive) and have been looking at all forms available in the northeast, from blackriver stages to new england hill climb, to autocross, ohio mile, .......    almost everything I have found the rules more/less push out "home built" vehicles, i.e. "must retain stock firewall, must retain factory drivetrain layout.....bla bla bla"

I am seeking some friendly advice,  what could be done with this car if anything? (assume I can bring it up to whatever safety standard is needed) has anyone turned a street/rat rod into a race car before?  should I cut my losses and just pickup a E30/subaru/mita? any thoughts are welcome.

captainawesome
captainawesome New Reader
4/5/18 8:45 p.m.

If you are running just for fun and not expecting to be competitive, autocross may be your easiest and cheapest option. Not sure what class, but I would assume one of the MOD classes depending on your drivetrain and weight. Maybe even just some local track day HPDE stuff. Either way we need way more info on the car, looks super neat. Got a build thread?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/6/18 7:28 a.m.

Two things:

1-Welcome.

2-More on your car. Please. (Looks cool).

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
4/6/18 7:42 a.m.

The car is insane.  In a good way.  Please share details.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/20/18 5:59 a.m.

Neat build and I agree that a  LOT more pics of the build would be a good idea. This place is lacking in panel beaters so that kind of knowledge gets appreciated. I am assuming the body is metal?

As to what to do with this ride? I would need to know more about what is under the bodywork suspension -wise. If it will launch, I would suggest drag racing as the option that provides the best competitive buzz. I think that in any other form or racing it will be  put in classes where it is not competitive.

Pete

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/20/18 6:32 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I agree about drag racing. As a kid I loved drag racing. Then unfortunately, falsely believing that it took insane amounts of money to compete and you needed to win to have fun, I lost interest.

Now, seeing how fun it looks (I’m a huge Roadkill fan) to just go to the track and GO without a huge budget, my interest is back.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
9/20/18 3:39 p.m.

If just for fun, drag race and auto-x are both inexpensive and don't require initial upfront investment in crazy safety gear just to go. auto-x you will be put in crazy mod classes, but you can always just work on improving your time or time percentages against them to see how you are doing. 

Drag racing, you will time in, get put in a bracket and if you aren't too fast, you don't need a cage or anything, you can just drive to track run for fun, and drive home.

also, don't forget about local car shows and charities, a car like that will draw attention and maybe awards, it's also just fun to meet other car folk and see what they do with their cars, you may get more inspiration on what is possible driving wise as well.

If you want to go whole hog on safety, track days, hill climbs, are all fun, and a light car like that can do several different types of driving with out too many modifications. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/21/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Vworks :

Talk to people.  Don’t just read the rule books. A lot of groups will accept you in modified classes. SCCA  for example will put you in a modified group but require you to join and meet their safety requirements, fuel cell, roll cage, etc.  

Talk to the chief tech inspector and ask how to comply not if the rules allow it.  Most clubs at the regional level will figure out a way to allow you.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/21/18 12:44 p.m.

I have been allowed over the years to autocross some really wild E36 M3. Things that don't fit into any class ever. But they were safe and reliable Vehicles so my local scca would let me run in one of the really high level classes that I was really under prepared for but still have fun. Find your local group and go talk to him.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/21/18 3:09 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Vworks :

Talk to people.  Don’t just read the rule books. A lot of groups will accept you in modified classes. SCCA  for example will put you in a modified group but require you to join and meet their safety requirements, fuel cell, roll cage, etc.  

Talk to the chief tech inspector and ask how to comply not if the rules allow it.  Most clubs at the regional level will figure out a way to allow you.  

Yep.  X-Prepared is often a sort of "catch all" class at the local level. 

Tech inspection typically does look at a car for class compliance. Just basic safety: are the wheels tight and nothing moves when the wheels are tugged? Is the battery secure? Does the gas pedal return? No loose items in the car? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0FM8e9u0yoo0LIaBxyuVYMlOpfQRIZ2kydxfahqXO4bTPAGDQyIjAPezrurtBiAa