Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/13 12:15 p.m.

It's not a big motorcycle, just a groovy little motorbike...

It's no secret around here that I have a thing for pit bikes. One night last week, I spotted an ad on Craigslist for a 1981 Honda C70 Passport. It had just been posted about half an hour earlier. The ad stated that it wasn't running, but it appeared to be in really good condition. It was only a couple of miles from my house and the next morning, I was loading it into my truck and bringing it home.

photo HondaPassport003_zps62524188.jpg

The Passport was one of the many variations of the Honda Super Cub, which according to Wikipedia, is the most produced motor vehicle in history, at more than 60 million sold. It's the bike from the famous You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda ad.

That would be me.

photo HondaPassport006_zpsf07be9b8.jpg

photo HondaPassport005_zps047ae553.jpg

Given its overall condition and low mileage, the fact that it wasn't running didn't concern me in the least. These engines are just slightly more complicated than a hammer.

The seller mentioned that he'd had the carb rebuilt, cleaned out the fuel tank and fuel filter but still couldn't get it started. He also mentioned that the electric starter wasn't working anymore and that he'd had a problem with headlight bulbs burning out. In most cases, when an air cooled Honda single stops running, it's a electrical problem. And most electrical problems are actually mechanical problems. I suspected that it was a bad ground or poor connection somewhere.

I removed the plug and found that I wasn't getting any spark. But when I removed the points cover, I could see that I had spark there as the points opened and closed. I swapped in a new plug but that didn't do the trick. The plug wire is permanently connected to the coil. I removed the assembly, cleaned the contacts, checked for continuity and measured the resistance. Once it was cleaned up, all was good.

photo HondaPassport008_zps4ac0fc6e.jpg

photo HondaPassport014_zps0bd4e153.jpg

The battery wasn't very old, but it was completely dead. My smart-charger will only work on a twelve volt battery, so I dug out my old stupid-charger and crammed the battery full of six brand new volts. Then I set about disconnecting every electrical connection and ground (there aren't that many), and cleaned everything up with wire brushes and emery cloth.

photo HondaPassport015_zps1e31f2c1.jpg

photo HondaPassport016_zps5606444b.jpg

This thing only has one fuse, but it was supposed to be a 10 amp and I found a 15 in there. Also, it originally had a 15w/15w headlight, but the bulb in there was a 25w/25w. I swapped in proper replacements.

In the course of cleaning connectors and changing the headlight bulb, I found a wire that had separated from it's connector. It turns out that this goes to the kill switch.

photo HondaPassport032_zps2e888b08.jpg

With clean connections, the battery charged and some fresh fuel, it started on the second easy kick and purred like a kitten. I turned it off and tried the electric starter, which worked perfectly.

I still had a few details to take care of though. I don't think that the bike had ever been dumped, but it clearly had fallen over at some point. I suspect that the guy that I bought it from had been sitting on it with the kickstand down. It wasn't very steady and the stance was bugging me.

photo HondaPassport001_zps544f25c0.jpg

photo HondaPassport018_zps8cb0ff69.jpg

Here's the problem:

photo HondaPassport022_zpsdcb49053.jpg

With half a bottle of Mapp Gas and a bigass wrench, I was able to bring it back to where it was supposed to be.

photo HondaPassport025_zps5bc79c73.jpg

I cleaned it up, primed it and hit it with some semi-gloss black paint.

I also needed to address this little bit of redneck engineering:

photo HondaPassport001_zps9245ed0d.jpg

The original part was NLA from Honda, so I ordered what I thought would be the correct piece from eBay. Unfortunately, it was a little loose and narrow. I had a small aluminum piece that I had turned down for another project and I was able to turn it into a sufficient replacement.

photo HondaPassport003_zps5144abbd.jpg

photo HondaPassport004_zps2c8cd3db.jpg

The seat tilts forward to access the fuel tank, but it was missing one of it's rubber bushings.

photo HondaPassport006_zpsfb90b57b.jpg

I found a pair of replacements on eBay for a few dollars.

photo HondaPassport007_zps068b500a.jpg

photo HondaPassport009_zpsc63742c8.jpg

The shift lever had gotten bent when the bike fell over, so I clamped it into the vice and introduced it to the Big Pipe of Persuasion.

photo HondaPassport013_zps94ebc1f2.jpg

photo HondaPassport016_zpsc1c15318.jpg

photo HondaPassport017_zps43cec28a.jpg

So, in less than a week, it's running, registered and looking good. I change the oil (600cc) with some fresh Honda 10W-40 four stroke motorcycle oil to keep the piston and clutch happy. It has brand new Michelins on it, courtesy of the previous owner, so it's ready to ride.

photo HondaPassport008_zps6ba95c40.jpg

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
11/28/13 1:04 p.m.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
11/28/13 1:18 p.m.

Nice bike!

Did the seller disclose the wood dowel brake pin? That would be a big surprise at a bad time.

Woody
11/28/13 1:24 p.m.

No, but he was fairly cooperative. I'm not sure that he saw it as a potential problem.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
11/28/13 1:33 p.m.

Heck yeah, I love it. I want one.

Woody
11/28/13 9:30 p.m.

The shift pattern is taking a little time for me to get used to. Neutral is at the bottom and then it's three-up (toe up or heel down with this shifter). Surprisingly, this is the exact opposite of my old '71 Honda CT70 Mini-Trail and my long gone Rockford Chibi.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/28/13 9:53 p.m.

Love it. I had a Honda moped like this in the late 80s (got it when I was 14). Actually another buddy had the same one as well (both of ours were yellow and white). We had front and saddlebag baskets on them and we used to deliver papers with them....a 200-paper route we'd do in half an hour. About 1/4 the time it took us on bikes before

Things were bulletproof, though we got shown up a bit when another buddy (Chris Mitchum, now a Grand-Am team owner) got a Tomos Bullet (black with gold mag wheels and 3 speeds).....We had some epic 3-moped races through neighborhoods back them.

EDIT: memory was a bit fuzzy. Looking around it appears we had the Honda PA50 aka Honda Hobbit. Mine was a '78, IIRC.

Woody
11/28/13 10:39 p.m.

I have the front basket for this one too.

I also had a Tomos Bullet. It was fast but very flexy.

photo TomosBullet005.jpg

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/29/13 10:00 a.m.

Very nice! I'm amazed you were able to bend the shift lever back in place...whenever I've tried that, the lever gets to about 90% and then it breaks in half.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/13 12:16 p.m.

Jealous!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/29/13 5:07 p.m.

1st Gear: It's alright.

2nd Gear: I lean right

3rd Gear: Hang on tight

Faster! It's Alright!

Woody
11/29/13 7:52 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Very nice! I'm amazed you were able to bend the shift lever back in place...whenever I've tried that, the lever gets to about 90% and then it breaks in half.

I've given up on propane, as it doesn't burn hot enough. Mapp Gas is a better choice if you don't have an oxy-acetelyne setup.

Woody
11/30/13 7:28 a.m.

Nice people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmG_NfQVb0

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
11/30/13 1:31 p.m.

I bid $1200!

Woody
11/30/13 4:58 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I bid $1200!

No thank you...

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
11/30/13 7:39 p.m.

Hey, a guy can try!

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
12/2/13 11:43 a.m.

Congrats on getting this cute little bike. This sounds a lot like how I got my little Spree. Just an easy to fix dumb eletrical problem. Only difference though, I told the guy I bought it from how to get it running before I got it from him.

Now I just need to buy those missing parts for it.

sigorama
sigorama
6/21/21 11:53 a.m.

Love the photos of the bike and the progress! Does anyone here know where I might find a title for a 1981 Honda Passport C70? Or one that somone is parting out that has a title?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/21/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to sigorama :

Old thread.

Easiest way to get a title is to register the motorcycle in Vt. No need to live there or be there. Done by mail. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zaRs1zmoUZiH3QgQ2wLKct4suhPYYycbDeVB8lfJz4AAbzmSSv8t6QZO3SWjEgMU