clay72
clay72 New Reader
5/17/14 10:41 p.m.

Built this one last winter. Lexus LS400 engine, Toyota pickup transmission with custom flywheel, 1st generation Celica Supra solid axle with LSD and disc brakes, 1987 Corolla GTS front struts and braks with Eibach coilovers, custom rack and pinion steering, 2.5" single exhaust, Mishimoto Mustang aluminum radiator, corolla GTS dash cluster, custom adjustable 4links and panhard.

The beginning: $500 corolla

Steering

Add some more custom parts

A bigger rearend and discs

Custom lengthened front lower control arms

Front coilovers

Biiig rad

Reshaped tunnel

Some old 13" American Racing Libres

Burnouts of success

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/14 11:14 p.m.

Awesome, simply awesome! Great car; love the pick-and-choose Toyota parts-bin combo to get the best of all worlds.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/18/14 12:05 a.m.

I want a $500 clean pre-ae86 'Rolla.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
5/18/14 1:24 p.m.

Awesome! Underhood pics?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
5/18/14 1:26 p.m.

Finding quality size 13 tires has gotta be a challenge

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/18/14 4:19 p.m.

Burnouts if success is my new favorite phrase.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
5/18/14 7:34 p.m.

This seems a little short...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/18/14 10:27 p.m.

Neato, though I'd strongly suggest you reinforce the rear suspension pickup points/build some subframe connectors before dropping the clutch much.

clay72
clay72 New Reader
5/18/14 10:54 p.m.

I guess an underhood shot would be appropriate. I don't seem to have any very good ones. The car is not thaaat clean. Rust free where it counts though. And yes Kenny, it does have some chassis twist at WOT. I'll leave fixing that or not to whoever buys it. Probably a young guy that will drift it into a wall or something.

Dash with Momo Woodgrain.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
5/19/14 6:12 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Neato, though I'd strongly suggest you reinforce the rear suspension pickup points/build some subframe connectors before dropping the clutch much.

Otherwise your floor pan might crack, Jack.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/19/14 7:52 a.m.

This is an awesome swap all the way.For those that might want to follow in your path, It would have been nice to see some of the obstacles you had to overcome, but regardless I like the project philosophy.

Based on the fact that you declare your exit strategy as (profitable?) sale to a next owner, I bet this was not your first rodeo.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/19/14 8:28 a.m.

Any idea how a Starlet engine bay compares to yours? I have an 81 Starlet that I have changed my mind on three times as far as power plant choices and am thinking about it again...

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/19/14 10:13 a.m.

Sweet car!

You're planning on selling it? How much and where are you located?

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
5/19/14 3:33 p.m.

Was this car built about 8-10 years ago, and in the NC area? I remember seeing at an autocross, I think in Statesville.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
5/19/14 7:41 p.m.
The_Jed wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Neato, though I'd strongly suggest you reinforce the rear suspension pickup points/build some subframe connectors before dropping the clutch much.
Otherwise your floor pan might crack, Jack.

And it'll never launch straight no more, no more, no MORE, no more....

clay72
clay72 New Reader
5/20/14 8:19 a.m.

This car was built in winter of 2012/2013 in my garage in Campbell River, BC. I'll try to post more details of the build once i get out of this logging camp.

It's not going to be profitable when I go to sell. I've got about $6k into it total. I would like to break even. I just enjoy the building process. Keeps me out of trouble.

A starlet engine bay is much shorter. I looked at a starlet for this swap, but it would be much more involved with firewall modification.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/20/14 9:08 a.m.

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. The current plan is a Ford Taurus SHO motor (Designed and built by Yamaha) but that thing is a big beast and while it will fit in the engine bay, I am still not 100% sure it will allow me to route everything properly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cloSDyy27UtJ73s5002xjI5aoNz8HzWrv5uP0zGBJQG1TiovOiGqknETgD6JnH1U