1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/9/18 9:03 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

Welcome aboard!

My family has been homeschooling for 25 years, and attending the Challenge since 2004. Pretty sure my son was the youngest driver to drive at the Challenge. 

Glad to see other home schoolers!

I'll let other folks give you S10 advice, but I'll offer all the homeschooling Challenger encouragement I can!!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/9/18 9:34 a.m.
gabecar3 said:

If anyone has V8 S10 swap parts that they would like to get rid of for cheap please let me know; I am currently in search of conversion mounts but any swap parts will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Gabe

My GM V8 style mounts are up for grabs, but pimpm3 is just up in Jacksonville, and I think has the 2.8 style mounts up for grabs.  Of the two, I'd recommend the 2.8 ones, as they allow for more adjustment of the engine location.  The V8 style ones are beefier, though, if you are going to make some serious power.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/9/18 1:38 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Wow that's awesome! Its great to see other home-schoolers working on the challenge. It would be awesome to meet up at the challenge if you go this year to get a picture of the two homeschool family builds.

Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it!

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/9/18 1:41 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

The ones you have would work just the same as the 2.8 ones but are beefier, right?

I am aiming for 500bhp on spray or boost (idk which yet) so I will be making decent power.

PM me how much you want for your mounts shipped if you can.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/9/18 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Alright sweet! Thanks for clarifying!

Yeah if you see anything I do and want some information just ask me and I'll try to help. I found that a lot of what i've done has been easier than a lot of other forums made it seem. Maybe it's just my luck or they over complicated things.

Hope you enjoy to build.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/9/18 2:16 p.m.
gabecar3 said:

The ones you have would work just the same as the 2.8 ones but are beefier, right?

I am aiming for 500bhp on spray or boost (idk which yet) so I will be making decent power.

PM me how much you want for your mounts shipped if you can.

I'll get back to you in a while, when I figure out how small of a priority mail box I can cram them into.  They're Transdapt 4689.  They have a small amount of adjustability, mainly to make sure they are lined up perpendicular with each other.  The 2.8 style mounts have a few inches of forward and backward movement.  From my experience, the 2.8 style mounts also let the engine sit a smidge lower.  I am missing some of the bolts/nuts/washers that came with the mounts, but I do have the V8 clamshells that are needed, and cost a decent chunk of money new.  However, you may have more access to SBC G-bodies in junkyards down south than we have in Ohio. Also have some frame mounts that have already been cut to fit, but depending on shipping, may be cheaper for you just to source locally.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/9/18 2:56 p.m.

Alright great. With all the mount stuff you have I would need just the hardware that is missing correct? Would your mounts work with 2.8 frame mounts or do they use a different set of frame mounts?

I will check with "pimpm3" to see how much he wants for his since he is in Jacksonville and his mounts might work better since they adjust more.

Thanks for the help

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/9/18 3:11 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

No problem.  The V8 style mounts are actually a steel plate that bolts to the frame, so replaces any existing frame mounts.  From there, Stock GM SBC frame motor mounts are bolted to the plate, and 78-87 G body (I think) clamshells are bolted to the engine, and then to the motor mounts, so it ends up as close to a factory GM setup as possible.  Short of some sort of solid mount, that’s probably the strongest way to mount the engine.  Not sure what the power/strength limits of the 2.8 style mounts are, but I can say they are easier to work with, at least in my experience.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/10/18 7:20 a.m.

Okay that makes sense. I sent a pm to pimpm3 to see how much he wants for his. Right now the deciding factor will be the price since its a challenge car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/10/18 11:09 a.m.
gabecar3 said:

In reply to SVreX :

Wow that's awesome! Its great to see other home-schoolers working on the challenge. It would be awesome to meet up at the challenge if you go this year to get a picture of the two homeschool family builds.

Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate it!

I am almost always there!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/10/18 11:18 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

You've got mail. I've got a deal for you!

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/10/18 11:46 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Oh really? 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/10/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

Yep. Check your email

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/10/18 7:00 p.m.

In reply to gabecar3 :

I tried to PM you, but my account is linked to a yahoo email address, and the board does not like them.  If you want me to send details/price, can you email me at ohiotim   at     hotmail   dot com?

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/10/18 7:21 p.m.

Email Sent.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/10/18 7:45 p.m.

4/10/18

Last night I got wheels and tires and mounted the tires to the rims:

15x10 5x4.5 rims

Picture of one of them mounted

Today I got the wheels balanced and installed on the truck:

How she sits on the new wheels and tires.

It has 2" lowering blocks in the back which gave it a level look.

Wheels stick out 4" in the back and 2" in the front giving it a nice stance.

I also got the driveshaft connected to the new-to-me Ford 8.8 so the driveline is currently functioning just need brake lines for the front and I can drive it around the block.

I may have found a solution to my SBC/trans search thanks to SVreX updates on that to come as things become official.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/18 9:30 p.m.

Looks hostile!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/10/18 10:35 p.m.

I love these, I’m 38 and when I was in middle school s-15’s with wide tires and dropped were the thing. My next door neighbor had one and it was way cooler than my Volvo 240. 

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/11/18 9:28 a.m.
grover said:

I love these, I’m 38 and when I was in middle school s-15’s with wide tires and dropped were the thing. My next door neighbor had one and it was way cooler than my Volvo 240. 

hahaha, that's the look I was going for with these wheels and I think it looks way cooler than most of the cars of the same time. 

I'm very happy with them especially with the Nitto NT555R's in 275/60R15 (10.8" of contact all around). The black wheels with the black lugs I think really makes it look good.

Something I had's mentioned is that I put 2" blocks on the back but the wheels are 2" taller than stock so in reality the frame is the same distance from the ground but the rear fender gap is much less than stock (stock is 6.5" now its around 3") which makes it look lowered by a lot.

gabecar3
gabecar3 New Reader
4/21/18 8:43 a.m.

4/19-23:

Update to my swap: I found a 6.2l Diesel and a 4L80E for $500 on craigslist that I had a buddy grab for me so I am going to 6.2 diesel swap my S10. Yes, I do know that the 6.2l is not a power house and I know the 4l80e weighs a ton and then some and wont fit without trans tunnel modification but I bought a 4l80e for $500 and got a 6.2 with it (since the 80E is the only thing worth a lot of money in that transaction). Both are complete from the torque converter to the back of the tail housing and from the intake manifold to the oil pan and glow plugs both are complete. Pictures of both below:

This weekend I had my buddy stay around to help me tear it all apart and get the swap done. I had him tear the 6.2l apart and I worked on getting the 1.9/4speed out of the S10. Once we took the valve covers off we found some rust in the valve train which means we need new pushrods at the least and possibly new rockers too but we are still looking into it all. After we got the heads off cyl8 had an open intake valve and since the engine was parked on a farm for 10 years (But was completely rebuilt in 2005 before it was parked) the cylinder had some water in it which meant it had some rust but we let it soak in ATF and will be honing it to get the cylinder walls clean. On the bright side the engine had only 500-1500 miles on it from the 2005 rebuild so its still in good condition aside from the obvious. Below are some pictures of my buddy tearing it apart: (Note: I did not get pictures of the cyl8 and heads before we tore it apart since we both were elbow deep in motor oil, ATF, and other junk)

We were up will 2am working on getting it all done but we got tired of finding little bolts that apparently hold an entire engine in so we ditched the 1.9 in the truck to work on today (4/21).

If y'all happen to have some 6.2 parts I am in search of:

Head studs

stock pushrods

6.5l injectors (preferably the marine style)

a starter

the mechanical fuel pump (like the SBC's have not the DB2 injection pump)

and an alternator

but any parts you may have I may need/want 

Fun fact the 6.2l Detroit Diesel uses the SBC style engine mounts which means the V8 swap mounts I bought from "eastsideTim" will make the 6.2 "bolt in.

Thank you all for following the thread and encouraging me its made the project a whole lot more fun.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/21/18 11:39 a.m.

Huh. This just took a turn... smiley

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
4/21/18 11:51 a.m.

I ain’t even mad about these diesel shenanigans and I damn near hate diesels. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/21/18 3:49 p.m.

man, what kind of rear end gearing could you put in that thing.  Those 6.2's do not make a small amount of the torques. Also, I fully expect a huge turbo.  Did they make tuners for these? 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
4/21/18 6:44 p.m.

How do you plan to run the 80E?

I'd have gone a different route, maybe try to find a cheap 96-98 Vortec 350 donor truck?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/22/18 12:18 p.m.

I disappear for a few days, and come back to see this.  Neat!  Any plans to add a turbo?  I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to do so on a diesel.  

Good thing you’re upgrading to an 8.8.  I’m guessing the 7.5” 10 bolt would self disassemble on the first hard launch.  Now you can use the truck to tow a spare challenge car...

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pzKm85ndH5sML7hkWrOkminxkeTpY0OM2HDseR5vHMwa76muutkkuqgoLCZWZixb