1 2 3 4
2_3
2_3 New Reader
5/3/17 8:41 p.m.

After a few months of searching, two weeks ago I bought a 1983 Taunus GT. It has a 2.3 liters lima, a 4 speed manual transmission, non working AC, and power steering. I'm planning on using it as a daily and for track days and some drag racing.

My dad got to drive it home for 70km without issues, but I only drove it for 15 blocks and I'm really anxious to be able to use it.

Here are some pictures from the day we got it home:

These are the original wheels. I'm planning on using them with a set of 185/60/13 Sumitomo HTR-200

I will add more pictures of the work I've been doing in the following days

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
5/3/17 8:53 p.m.

In reply to 2_3:

I have no idea what this is, but I love it!!!

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
5/3/17 8:59 p.m.

I looked at the title and read Taurus GT.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/3/17 9:06 p.m.

Where the hell are you?????

Cant be canada. Theres too much metal for that Vintage. Im also fairly certain that we never got those in the states.

But i need to know more!!!!

Slippery
Slippery Dork
5/3/17 9:09 p.m.

Thats an Argentinian Taunus, a facelifted version of the original German Taunus.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
5/3/17 9:10 p.m.

This is what it looked like before the facelift:

2_3
2_3 New Reader
5/3/17 9:22 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Thats an Argentinian Taunus, a facelifted version of the original German Taunus.

This.

This version was sold between 1981 and 1983, and then replaced by the sierra.

Here is what the best trim looks like:

I was also interested in getting a fiat 125 or a fox body mustang, but to me the taunus looks way better

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
5/3/17 9:53 p.m.
Slippery wrote: This is what it looked like before the facelift:

Why do I want this???? I like it ALOT for some reason...

Slippery
Slippery Dork
5/3/17 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

Yep ... they look nice. My dad had a couple of GTs. Probably '75 or so.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
5/4/17 12:14 a.m.

. So much WANT.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
5/4/17 5:08 a.m.

In reply to 2_3:

Very cool! Are you in Argentina?

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
5/4/17 5:23 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

Per the profile when you click his name he's in La Plata, Argentina.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 5:40 a.m.

That is a shockingly attractive car considering it's basic lines. Do us a favor and help fill us in on Argentinian​ car culture as you go along. I'd love to see what cars show up at track days and the drag strip. We don't get nearly enough cross border car culture around here.

APEowner
APEowner Reader
5/4/17 9:32 a.m.

Cool! The pre-facelift cars look like miniature '68 Mercury Cyclones. That's a very good thing.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
5/4/17 9:43 a.m.

It's like a 2-door Maverick, Torino, and Escort had a 3-way and this is the result. AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/4/17 10:10 a.m.
Slippery wrote: In reply to Spinout007: Yep ... they look nice. My dad had a couple of GTs. Probably '75 or so.

Looks great with the landau roof!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/4/17 10:17 a.m.

Great looking car! Can you give us a run down on the mechanics (axle, trans, suspension)?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/4/17 10:20 a.m.

Wow, I have never seen Cortina (Taunus on the continent) fastback in my life. The Mk I Granada (Euro not the god awful American thing) looked awesome in 2 dour coupe form, I never knew they did a Cortina. Was it only sold on mainland Europe and not the UK?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/4/17 10:24 a.m.

IIRC they were pretty rare on the continent as well.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/4/17 10:31 a.m.

Are there any Turbo 2.3 cars to scavenge hop up parts found South of the Equator?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/4/17 10:35 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
Slippery wrote: This is what it looked like before the facelift:

Why do I want this????

Because we always want what we can't have.

Also interested in hearing about the car culture in Argentina.

2_3
2_3 New Reader
5/4/17 11:18 a.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to 2_3: Very cool! Are you in Argentina?

yes

mazdeuce wrote: That is a shockingly attractive car considering it's basic lines. Do us a favor and help fill us in on Argentinian​ car culture as you go along. I'd love to see what cars show up at track days and the drag strip. We don't get nearly enough cross border car culture around here.

Will do. Track days have some variety, but in local series you will see lots of fiats, straight six engines from the 70's and 1400cc renaults

Here are a few videos of the most popular series, turismo carretera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Ey9YR2_7A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0AFTHgTmo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KbGrfeYiU

RossD wrote:

Great looking car! Can you give us a run down on the mechanics (axle, trans, suspension)?

Rear axle is a dana 30, open diff and I think 3.31:1. It has coil springs

The front looks like this:

I don't know which gearbox it has

RossD wrote: Are there any Turbo 2.3 cars to scavenge hop up parts found South of the Equator?

There are some imported mustangs, but finding a cheap turbo one for parts is really hard. I'm planning on making my own intake to run megasquirt and later an exhaust for turbocharging. I've no idea how much this block can handle, so if I find a cheap american one I'm buying it

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
5/4/17 12:40 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Spinout007 wrote:
Slippery wrote: This is what it looked like before the facelift:

Why do I want this????

Because we always want what we can't have.

Also interested in hearing about the car culture in Argentina.

HA... Looking at maps, there are major roads between FL and argentina. Passport, pile of cash, spare gas cans and MRE's. Just no unnecessary stops.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
5/4/17 1:11 p.m.

Those factory 13in wheels look really nice. Can't wait to see what you do to it.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/4/17 1:27 p.m.

2.3 - look for Esslinger they are one of the best when it comes to Ford 2.3 liter stuff.......

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
BekBmnPpMpobTY8lTRgiIhxx650otnW8