1 2 3 4 5
type85
type85 New Reader
1/28/14 12:26 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: I've only ever called for quotes on replacement, I had no idea they would let you buy the glass directly from them. Then again, the last time I was looking for a windshield I had to go to a yard and pull the glass myself because no one had the glass or wanted to touch a 68'.

Safelite has a ton of "install" locations, You'd call the main corp. number, see if they can get the glass for your car, get a quote, place the order and schedule a time, pay at your local install center and pick it up and/or have it installed.

type85
type85 New Reader
2/6/14 6:08 p.m.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looky looky what showed up today!! Got a SLAMMIN' DEAL on these, so cheap I swore I wouldn't disclose it!! Anyways... 1437 "race" inserts, 1½" shorter and stiffer than the standard Koni sports that fit our cars. Gotta cut the struts down, but this will give me back 1½" of travel I lost from lowering the car (and with the ball joint extenders, correct the a-arm geometry), have the same exact setup on the front of the coupe, this time, I'm doing it on the front and rear of the 4000q racecar of death!!

type85
type85 New Reader
2/8/14 8:15 p.m.

Put in a good 6 hours cutting grinding sanding and bamboozling the struts so the new inserts will fit, it looks like the front tubes had to be cut down about 1¼" and the rear only 3/4" I used the extra material to act as spacers in the tubes to hold the inserts, the rear tubes are much bigger, so I put "sleeves" at the bottom and the top of the tube. I also cut down the outside of the steering arm to give me more clearance for the tires, I plan on running 245's at some point!!

type85
type85 New Reader
2/10/14 7:35 p.m.

BAM!!!!!

type85
type85 New Reader
2/16/14 12:41 a.m.

Rears are done and ready to be installed: Struts shortened 3/4", 1437 front externaly adj. race inserts mounted in the rear, 400lb springs.

type85
type85 New Reader
2/16/14 12:42 a.m.

Cleaned and primered!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
2/16/14 5:46 a.m.

Woot!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
2/16/14 9:52 a.m.

I am jealous of your struts now. ever since I did work on my strut tubes I have wanted to section them for more low up front. though I will warn you, the 225's I am running now already rub the factory plastic behind the front bumper just before they hit bump stop, I suppose yours probly wont have that issue being an older small bumper car, but something to be aware of for sure.

nice work on the tubes though, i very much need to do that soon

type85
type85 New Reader
2/16/14 10:13 p.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: I am jealous of your struts now. ever since I did work on my strut tubes I have wanted to section them for more low up front. though I will warn you, the 225's I am running now already rub the factory plastic behind the front bumper just before they hit bump stop, I suppose yours probly wont have that issue being an older small bumper car, but something to be aware of for sure. nice work on the tubes though, i very much need to do that soon

Thanks!! I have the EXACT same strut setup on the front of my coupe, I run 225/45-15's on 15x8's no rubbing! I think the big difference is the 225/45's have a rolling diameter of less than 23" this helps keep them from rubbing on the plastic liner....

type85
type85 New Reader
2/16/14 10:15 p.m.

I had to do it!! WHITE!!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
2/17/14 8:27 a.m.

good point. my 225s are on a 17 making them a little large for a B2

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/14 8:40 a.m.

Wow. I've always loved the lines on those Audi's and yours is looking great so far! Can't wait to see it on the ground with tires on those wheels.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
2/17/14 9:47 a.m.

i HATED my white wheels. such a bitch to keep clean. especially with aggressive brake pads. best thing i found was some spray wax with teflon in it. just do it off the car.

type85
type85 New Reader
2/17/14 11:19 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: i HATED my white wheels. such a bitch to keep clean. especially with aggressive brake pads. best thing i found was some spray wax with teflon in it. just do it off the car.

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll try the spray. I'll probably have to do a 4x100 conversion in order to fit some good track wheels, there's nothing in 4x108 under 17" unless I do something like 15x6.5

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
2/17/14 1:15 p.m.

Looking good there Garza.

Too bad I am on the other side of the country. Would love to see the car in person. If it is half as good as your Coupe. It will be a menace on the track.

Mike Kirby

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/17/14 2:22 p.m.

The work done on those struts to fit "wrong" Koni inserts is pretty impressive. Gives me hope for something I may want to do. Your work looks good!

type85
type85 New Reader
2/17/14 3:11 p.m.
pres589 wrote: The work done on those struts to fit "wrong" Koni inserts is pretty impressive. Gives me hope for something I may want to do. Your work looks good!

Thanks!!

type85
type85 New Reader
2/17/14 3:13 p.m.
Mike924 wrote: Looking good there Garza. Too bad I am on the other side of the country. Would love to see the car in person. If it is half as good as your Coupe. It will be a menace on the track. Mike Kirby

I gotta allot of work to do in order to make it competitive with those "BMW guys"!!

type85
type85 New Reader
2/17/14 3:14 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Wow. I've always loved the lines on those Audi's and yours is looking great so far! Can't wait to see it on the ground with tires on those wheels.

Thanks!!

eg6ajk
eg6ajk New Reader
2/17/14 5:10 p.m.

Awesome job, 4000s by far best looking Audi.

type85
type85 New Reader
2/20/14 10:05 p.m.

Got some new VDO "marine" gauges, (white and blue on black background) water temp, oil pressure, oil temp. Mounted in autometer dash mount cups and a couple mounted to the roll bar on the left (boost, air/fuel), then in the lower part of the center console, volt, exhaust temp and an ammeter (probably change it for a "trans temp"). A big ass red light will go where the center vent is, this will be the "low oil pressure light", on the left vent is the "yellow hi temp light".

type85
type85 New Reader
2/23/14 9:54 p.m.

type85
type85 New Reader
3/20/14 8:03 p.m.

12" Focus SVT rotors centerbore machined to fit Audi, hub easily clears the ball joint extenders. Wilwood forged 4 piston "Dynapro" radial mount caliper (this allows adjustment for different rotor diameters), TCE recommended the Dynapro over the Dynalite, bigger, stronger and takes a thicker pad for longer life. Custom machined radial mount bracket from "TCE performance" Carbotech XP10 pads are on the way. Brakes easily fit inside 16" Borbets, spokes clear caliper, the real test is to see if they fit under 15" wheels!!

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
3/21/14 9:09 p.m.

So when is the FWD becoming a quattro? I'm digging the wilwoods, I'm not sure why people insist on brembos or used brembos, when quality wilwoods can be had for such an affordable price.

type85
type85 New Reader
3/22/14 1:20 a.m.
digdug18 wrote: So when is the FWD becoming a quattro? I'm digging the wilwoods, I'm not sure why people insist on brembos or used brembos, when quality wilwoods can be had for such an affordable price.

The Dynapro's were about $200 ea! Which "FWD" are you referring to? My coupe?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p2q4atY5nenrnYVSVBPxPlTkqba6b96zErsAfGLDq2TY12yluCfhqjMk9qV5uTzE