1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/22/14 6:01 p.m.

Dunno how it works up there, but when I was in Connecticut I could go to any emissions or inspection station in the state. I would drive an hour to the places I KNEW would pass me no matter what.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
11/23/14 7:18 a.m.

The nice part about the add ons to the 305 (headers, intake, exhaust, etc) if you want to drop a 350 in later when the money comes along as you drive the 305, it swaps over. Add/tune on the 305 as your budget allows, and as you drive the 305 find a 350 used to build as you go with the budget (or save for a crate 350).

There have been a few GRM threads about 305 builds in the past, with a couple of links to Vortec head builds.

Enjoy

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/23/14 7:32 a.m.

In reply to TIGMOTORSPORTS:

Thanks! That's the idea. Bolt-ons for the 305, then when I want more power, swap the bolt-ons onto the 350, and do the engine swap.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/25/14 10:42 p.m.

Yes, welcome to our forum. For a little while before graduating from high school, I drove my parents' '78 Malibu.

scans_0016

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/26/14 1:05 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Thank you! I can't believe that someone important in the magazine commented on my post! BTW, the malibu is a beaut. Have you guys ever thought of doing a rallycross Monte Carlo? Those things are relatively well-sprung, have surprisingly quick steering, and are almost disposable in price.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/26/14 6:17 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: Have you guys ever thought of doing a rallycross Monte Carlo? Those things are relatively well-sprung, have surprisingly quick steering, and are almost disposable in price.

Where can I get these disposably priced Monte Carlos? Even a beat and rusty SS like the one pictured goes for $5k+ around here. More if it's in 'da hood and jacked on 26s.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/26/14 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Up in canuckistan, we can buy Monte Carlos for 1-3k.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/26/14 8:00 p.m.

I've thought a lot about doing a rallyx G-body. I'd choose the Pontiac version though. I'm a Pontiac lover so I think they are by far the prettiest G's.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
11/26/14 8:45 p.m.

I heard somewhere that the Grand Prix had the most chassis bracing of all the G bodies.

Edit: O.E., from the factory chassis bracing.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/26/14 9:48 p.m.

I'd follow this guy's lead with a G-body build.

Open road race car

David S. Wallens
11/26/14 10:41 p.m.

Funny bit of GRM lore:

Back in the day--like at least 15 years ago--we had a few modified G-bodies in town. They all had hood scoops, mags, etc. We figured they were part of a club. If they all drive similar cars, they all know each other, right? This was before G-bodies had experienced their current renaissance. It might have even been before we called them G-bodies.

Our term for these guys? Members of The Club. Next time you see JG or Gabe, ask them about the cars from The Club.

David S. Wallens
11/26/14 10:42 p.m.

And thanks for the nice words on the Malibu. Figure that photo was taken around 1986 or '87. I graduated from high school in '88, and my parents sold the car soon after.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
11/27/14 6:00 a.m.

I'm digging the full size Pontiac across the street in the photo. Front end appears to be similar to your station wagon?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
11/27/14 6:43 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: I'd follow this guy's lead with a G-body build. Open road race car

Great. Now I'm dreaming of hitting an open road race with my Lincoln.

David S. Wallens
11/27/14 7:07 a.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: I'm digging the full size Pontiac across the street in the photo. Front end appears to be similar to your station wagon?

I want to say that's a '72 Catalina where ours is a '75--basically we have the big bumpers which, to be honest, I like.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/27/14 10:33 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Didn't GRM take one LeMons racing?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
11/27/14 11:27 a.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Yep. That was the inspiration for buying my other Mark VII.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/27/14 3:26 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

On a side-note, we need archives.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/14 3:47 p.m.

Motion Performance on Long Island had done a bunch of Montes that had fiberglass hoods with big scoops and ducts and big wings on the back and some airbrushed heartbeat graphics. I really wanted them for mine but never had the money.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/27/14 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

Nothing could have prepared me for the sheer awesomeness of this.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/14 4:41 p.m.

That one is fairly tame. The had a white Aerocoupe with a very tall wing and far more graphics. It was as if a Miami Vice coke dealer hit hard times and had to step down from his Porsche. It was kind of sad as Motion at one time built very fast muscle cars and by the time I got my license they were sticking body kits onto Montes and Mustangs but they were pretty sweet looking. My SS was black and I was hoping for the body kit and purple undercar neon lights. Judge away, it was a different time.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/27/14 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

I won't judge at all. We've all been tempted to make questionable automotive decisions.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/14 6:07 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: I'd follow this guy's lead with a G-body build. Open road race car

I've seen that car in person. It's the most oustanding G-body i have ever seen. The detail is incredible and the fact the thing gets used makes it even better!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/28/14 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

It sure sounds amazing!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/28/14 9:58 a.m.

So my Uncle said that he might have some spare parts lying around that he could donate to the cause. I'm going down to see the car, hopefully next week. Next update coming before Christmas!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
18q0i0cNAx38uXGuEPHZxfGOM1SS2WIVim9oECZMxlyR5XLVcxrUnqM42yMP0Pod