1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 138
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/29/19 9:54 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

It sounds like there might be a market for steel replacement pans...

The sad part is, for the M42 a company in Germany actually makes them (by request of the 318is Rally Gruppe) for pretty inexpensive price. 

The real thing to do with a steel replacement pan for the M50 swaps would be to make it shallower and wider (to maintain capacity without sitting so low). But as always, it's a niche market so the only way to make it work is for someone to have that ability themselves (to make it) and be willing to sell it for a price that a relatively small number of people are willing to pay. If I had the skill, I'd be all over it. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/29/19 11:08 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

What do the aluminum ones go for?  I'm guessing it would have to beat that price by a bit, but it's probably doable.  Once the patterns are made it's just a matter of cutting the metal out and welding them up, not crazy difficult unless it's a super weird shape.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/29/19 11:17 a.m.

A steel pan would also make it easy to add in extra baffles etc. as needed.

I'm in for 1

Adam

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/19 7:49 a.m.

If anyone wants to fund me getting a Langmuir Crossfire CNC Plasma, and let me borrow a stock oil pan for a bit, I'll make you a steel pan for free. ;)

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/30/19 7:58 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

If anyone wants to fund me getting a Langmuir Crossfire CNC Plasma, and let me borrow a stock oil pan for a bit, I'll make you a steel pan for free. ;)

ooh ooh me :)

Sooo, I did a thing today:

Then back to work on some small stuff.

The ARA regs now require a two-strap fire extinguisher mount. We've been using the single (steel) strap ones for years which work fine, but rules are rules. So decided to take one strap off one and add it to the other (the one on the floor by Jim's feet). And for the rear one, decided to try something fancier: ebay copy of a really expensive one:

Seems nice quality, nothing complicated. It's a latch-off system so you just pull the red knob and pull up and it comes out of the lower "notch" on the mount. So mounted it up and moved it from the backstay to the main hoop base:

It rattles slightly, but I'll throw one of my quick-release Titan Straps around it as well for extra security.

Also working on an idea I stole from Brian Battocchi for quick hold-down and releas of the spare tire and jack.

Window net:

Test fit just using ratchet straps

So with an actual wheel there it'll also strap down the jack. Instead of straps I'll use cables with a single ratchet release, so you just pop one ratchet and open the whole net to get the jack/tire out. Then reverse to put it back in. Seems to work well for him, so I'm basically copying his setup (though he has more room to work with in his Subaru hatchback. 

Also sold my little tire trailer, which I never use any more since the e30 can carry all its own gear in the trunk and roof rack (and I usually tow anyhow). So that will fund a second set of new(ish) rally tires.

A few more projects later this week, we'll see what happens.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/31/19 11:31 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Let me know how that extinguisher mount does, we have the cheapy ones with an extra strap over them but I like the apparent simplicity of that one.

I'm in for crewing obviously, unless I fall into a pile of money and enter instead- what's your plan for recce at STPR?  Using the tow rig?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/31/19 4:04 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to irish44j :

Let me know how that extinguisher mount does, we have the cheapy ones with an extra strap over them but I like the apparent simplicity of that one.

I'm in for crewing obviously, unless I fall into a pile of money and enter instead- what's your plan for recce at STPR?  Using the tow rig?

I think this mount on eBay was only about 30 bucks so pretty cheap. As to recce I don't really have a plan yet. Worst case I do it with the tow rig but of course that is not exactly ideal. last time we use Stephens 4Runner but I'm not sure what his plans are for getting there etc. and as much as I like the idea of using either my GTI or the Porsche for it I don't think I'm going to risk either of them LOL since they have hardly any underbody protection. So basically playing it by ear at the moment. I mentioned to Jim something about doing it in the rallycross Miata but I don't know if that would be ideal either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/31/19 4:14 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Well, we also have Chief (which you know well) and an '08 Outback Sport (primitive skidplate, king springs) to choose from if you wanted to borrow something on a you break/you buy basis.

olso3904
olso3904 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/31/19 4:42 p.m.

"The ARA regs now require a two-strap fire extinguisher mount. We've been using the single (steel) strap ones for years which work fine, but rules are rules. So decided to take one strap off one and add it to the other (the one on the floor by Jim's feet). And for the rear one, decided to try something fancier: ebay copy of a really expensive one:"

Did they update the rulebook for this? I just bought single strap mounts for my extinguishers.

Makes me wonder what other rules I don't know about

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/31/19 7:11 p.m.
olso3904 said:

"The ARA regs now require a two-strap fire extinguisher mount. We've been using the single (steel) strap ones for years which work fine, but rules are rules. So decided to take one strap off one and add it to the other (the one on the floor by Jim's feet). And for the rear one, decided to try something fancier: ebay copy of a really expensive one:"

Did they update the rulebook for this? I just bought single strap mounts for my extinguishers.

Makes me wonder what other rules I don't know about

I haven't read it, but another competitor (Robert Pepper) who usually follows the rules mentioned last year that it was going to be new for 2020, when I was admiring his pretty alumnimum mounts. Maybe they didn't do it yet? Related: that reminds me I have to get my extinguishers recerted before STPR. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/31/19 7:16 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to irish44j :

Well, we also have Chief (which you know well) and an '08 Outback Sport (primitive skidplate, king springs) to choose from if you wanted to borrow something on a you break/you buy basis.

I mean, I'd generally prefer to do it in a "car" vice a truck (else we could just use the Sequioa) just for better view angles and stuff. So, the Outback would be a good option, depending on what you mean by "break" lol.....I'm not buying your car if it spins a bearing (I mean, Subaru....) hahah.....STPR recce is like 30mph on all the forest roads with strict enforcement, so little chance of crashing it or beating it up, I'd say. Unless we get run over by a logging truck or something. 

Side note: don't know if you saw, but due to a reschedule we now have a 2-day rallycross at Summit on the 25th-26th of August (IIRC). Two separate events, but should be fun if you want to do some more in the dirt for less cost than STPR :) I'll head home to sleep the Saturday night, and you're welcome to crash at my place if you want to. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/31/19 7:27 p.m.

Just finishing up the underbody protection. I ordered up some 1/8" and 1/32" HDPE sheet for pretty cheap.

The thicker stuff was just to extend our passenger-side protection over the gas tank. The current sheet only covers the front half of it but after the damage it took i wanted to extend it across the whole tank. Basically just ran it up slightly above the back of the current sheet and extended it. Yay.

Also cut a small piece to protect the rear end of our fuel pump and lines, which I've always thought were a bit vulnerable

So with that done, back to finishing up the front. If you recall I used to have some 1/8 orange-colored splash guards aroudn the sides of teh skid and up into the wheel wells. Well, those looked stupid, and were complete overkill just to keep mud out of the skid and lower engine area. So I cut some new pieces out of thin, flexible (and light) 1/32" HDPE and installed. Much cleaner fit and shoudl do the job well.

The zipties just secure it additionally to the skidplate U-brace and backstays.

ok, so that's super-exciting, eh? But, less mud and rocks in the engine bay is actually very exciting, trust me. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
7/31/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I don't mean "break" as in the Subaru eating itself, just if you cut a tire, or bend a tie rod or something.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/31/19 8:11 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to irish44j :

I don't mean "break" as in the Subaru eating itself, just if you cut a tire, or bend a tie rod or something.

I have to buy the car if I bend a tie rod? lol jk. yeah, that sounds like a deal. Would keep up our streak of using other peoples' Subarus for rally recce haha (used Dan's WRX for NEFR last year, obviously).

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/31/19 8:15 p.m.

In other news, I placed an order for some of these, which cost about the same as Bilstein HDs here in the US and shipping isn't terrible ($30). The word from the UK/Scottish e30 rally guys is they all use these, and they are pretty much perfect for an e30, except you have to swap out the lower bushing.  So, not sure if they're just HDs with different valving, or if there are other internal differences. But seeing as rear HDs seem to die pretty quickly in rally (fronts seem to last a lot longer), worth a go. 

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/19 7:25 a.m.
irish44j said:

In other news, I placed an order for some of these, which cost about the same as Bilstein HDs here in the US and shipping isn't terrible ($30). The word from the UK/Scottish e30 rally guys is they all use these, and they are pretty much perfect for an e30, except you have to swap out the lower bushing.  So, not sure if they're just HDs with different valving, or if there are other internal differences. But seeing as rear HDs seem to die pretty quickly in rally (fronts seem to last a lot longer), worth a go. 

Nice find, I'll be looking forward to hearing how these work out for you

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/1/19 10:06 p.m.

In STPR news, looks like we're putting together an all-vintage-German service group, so we're going to set up service next to Tony Zanni (VW), Rob Pepper (Porsche 944), and Cooper/Stephens (another M50 e30, Jesse Yuvali's old car). So, that should be fun.

So let's keep going on little projects. This is a boring week so I find myself just "doing stuff" on the car. I have two other rallycar projects in the works, but they're taking a bit more time so will update those when they're done, since i need some materials and some time where I can make some noise (my kids' bedrooms are right above my garage, so after 8pm is quiet time).

So, some quiet time project. I was digging around in some boxes and came upon some little LED mini-bars I got off ebay a while back. They weren't all that good so decided not to use them for rally flood lighting. But with STPR having one or two night stages in the twisty, turny Waste Management stages, figured I'd do something i'd been meaning to do for a while (but since we havent' done a night rally since Black River, never got around to it): Some cornering floods

So, mounted them up and wired them up. I put these below the bumper just because the top of the bumper is a bit crowded and they looked dumb when I test-fitted them there. Maybe they're a bit more vulnerable to hitting stuff, but still pretty high off the ground, and hey....all this lighting is ebay cheap stuff, so if it dies hitting a tree, whatever (except the Hella bar inside the bumper.....hopefully that's a bit better protected).

So, here's some pics: 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/3/19 6:49 p.m.

Spent today finishing up some projects that I've been meaning to do. 

First the sloppy shifter. So, the Z-3 shift lever is two pieces. There is a lower part (that has the pivot ball) and that goes inside an upper part, and there is rubber filling the area between the two pieces (to reduce vibration). Over time the rubber on mine has worn out, causing a lot of slop in the shifter (even though everything else in the linkage is using hard-durometer bushings), which was just annoying. 

A new Z3 shifter runs about $120+ so forget that, let's investigate things:

After heating it with a torch, I managed to separate the two pieces.

Then shaved most of it off, except for the very tip (which I kept there for positining)

Then, got my hands on some 80A liquid urethane (same stuff I used for the Porsche transmission mounts, incidentally.

Then mixed it up and poured it in, and set the shifter in a vertical position for a day until it dried

So, it's back in the car now and feels really good. More direct than it was even when new. So, that was a successful repair for a fraction the cost of buying a new one.

--

Second project has been to make a better "trunk system" for rally. Already decided to stop carrying the aluminum racing jack and just carry a scissor jack (with or without impact knurl, TBD). I've always been a fan of the way Brian Battocchi has the spare/jack setup in his Subaru, so took that idea and more or less copied it, with a few changes. 

To make it work, I had to lift the spare up a bit, since if it sat flush in the spare well like stock, the straps wouldn't have enough leverage. So, cut up an old ski tuning rack to get some square bar and welded them in:

Annoyingly, I ran out of Argon right as I started and can't get more on the weekend, so had to bust out the flux core...And .035, which is thicker than I would have liked using for this, but whatever...

Test-fit of the larger Federal FedeRallyl tires to make sure they fit fine, they do.

A $15 SFI-certed window net:

On the back end, ran some 3/8" steel rod through the loops and held the rod with a pair of eyebolts right across the back of the trunk, with pins/washers to hold it in. SO this is the "base" of the system.

At the other side, we'll use cable. So got some coated cable and swaged some eyes. This end will hook to an eyebolt up toward the mid-front of the trunk on the passenger side.

On the other end of the cable is a ratchet. So, cut out the original strap and drilled out the original pin that held it, and replaced with a bolt and nut. Now, since there isn't enough clearance to run the eye loop "into" the ratchet body, I had to make up a little metal "extension" to give it enough space.

So, with all that set up, here's the arrangement:

Empty bay (the net won't be like this in actual use when open)

Test-fit with one of my mini wheels (imagine a tire is on it). It will sit upside-down so I can put the spill kit inside:

Then the "soft-surface plate" for the jack (i.e. when jacking on sand or something, need a big base), cut to fit on top (now using one of my snow tires, I was testing to make sure everything fit). Jack just gets stuck on top in whatever position we throw it there in. You can see the net in the "open" position here, with the steel rod attached and only the front left hook open. Since the cable bends, it swings out of the way against the rear of the trunk, entirely.

And then just pull the net over, hook the ratchet-end of the cable, tighten, and everything is held in place securely, and can be taken out by simply popping the ratchet strap handle and unhooking one corner. 

So, hopefully we don't get a lot of flats, but if we do this should save a good 30 seconds on tire changes on stage, if necessary, compared to the old setup (if not more). Time is time.....

java230
java230 UltraDork
8/3/19 8:25 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

That's slick. Nicely done. Hate the scissor jack tho. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/3/19 9:36 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to irish44j :

That's slick. Nicely done. Hate the scissor jack tho. 

yeah, it's the tradeoff between the HF race jack we've been using is great functionally, but cumbersome, heavy, and a hassle to stow/secure and the scissor jack being lighter, easy to secure, and less cumbersome. I willl likely convert it over to being able to be raised using our impact gun, we'll see. Hopefully we won't need to use it much. 

PS - that jack is just for test-fitting, not necessarily the actual one we're gonna use. 

There are the "monkey jacks" that old-school rallyists used (VW Beetles came with them OEM back in the day) that I may look into, but those have their own stowage issues due to the size. Life would be a lot easier if this was a hatchback lo. 

spandak
spandak Reader
8/3/19 10:52 p.m.

If you have an impact socket that will fit over the.... plate with the hole in it on the jack... you can use an electric impact gun to lift the car quickly. I use this trick at home for quick jobs. 

Edit: credit to mighty car mods for that. I’m not that clever. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/4/19 12:45 p.m.
spandak said:

If you have an impact socket that will fit over the.... plate with the hole in it on the jack... you can use an electric impact gun to lift the car quickly. I use this trick at home for quick jobs. 

Yep, that's what I'll likely do. Only issue is that then we have to change sockets to do the wheel lugs, since most of those adaptors are larger size like 13/16th". The way most people do it is weld on a bolt head that is the same size as the lugnuts (in our case, 17mm) in order to not have to switch sockets during a tire change on stage. Just gotta make sure your welds are good and strong . 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/19 1:08 p.m.
spandak said:

Rallyists in the US have done that since before MCM was a thing (or even before YouTube).

If you do this, be gentle on the jack, and treat it as a consumable.  The threads are not meant for regular use, let alone use with power tools.  Have read many stories on SpecialStage of people galling the threads on their scissor jack after welding a nut on the end for use with their electric impact.

I thought it was hooey (Those are acme threads, they will be fine!) until it happened to me...

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/4/19 2:07 p.m.
Knurled. said:
spandak said:

Rallyists in the US have done that since before MCM was a thing (or even before YouTube).

If you do this, be gentle on the jack, and treat it as a consumable.  The threads are not meant for regular use, let alone use with power tools.  Have read many stories on SpecialStage of people galling the threads on their scissor jack after welding a nut on the end for use with their electric impact.

I thought it was hooey (Those are acme threads, they will be fine!) until it happened to me...

Yeah it's pretty much agreed upon that a scissor jack being raised with an impact has a finite lifespan, so only use it during on stage tire changes, and never for other reasons. Frankly it's only about five seconds faster to do it that way than to hand crank it (I tested) so may not even be worth it, since the impact could be undoing the wheels at the same time. we are not competitive enough in stage rally to worry about it, frankly

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/5/19 6:53 p.m.

All this little stuff and adding weight is getting old, yeah? Let's do something performance-related.

After talking to a number of guys who rally e30s in UK/Scotland gravel rally scene, decided to pull the trigger on what I've read about for a while: European Escort Mk1/2 stuff. For the moment just doing the rear since its inexpensive and requirels less work. And the US-market Bilstein HD rears just can't hold up to rally for long (the fronts are much larger and inverted, and seem to last a LOT longer). In the time I've had this car i've only gone through a couple sets of fronts, but about 5-6 sets of rears. That's no fun (even if they are from FCP Euro and have lifetime guarantee on them!).

So, I orderd the Group 4 gravel rally rear shocks for the Escort. Two lengths are available - a shorter one for regular Escort shock towers, and a longer one for "turreted" (i.e. raised/built-up) towers. For the e30, the latter is the right application. At $115 each (and about $15 shipping each), they're not much more expensive than HD from Tire Rack or whatever. 

They came in today and I got right to work. Here is a comparison with other rears I have - the bottom one is the Escort shock, the one above it is a 2019-model HD, the one abolve it is an older HD (with a different cap), and the one above that is a Sport (about 1cm shorter). As you can see, the Escort one has a large external bumpstop and has a bit less travel than the HDs, but that shouldn't really be an issue I don't think. What is notable is the larger diameter, which means better cooling (the reason rally shocks blow fast).

The other difference is the lower bushing. The Escort shocks have a "thinner" bushing and the inner sleeve is 1mm larger inner diameter but 2mm narrower outer diameter. So technically they "fit" but I don't like the idea of having 1mm of slop in there.

The shock body for the bushing is also a different size, so that ruled out just pressing in the e30 bushings as-is. So, the best way would just to be to order new sleeves that have the correct inner and outer diameter, but not feeling like waiting, I decided to bore out the bushing by 2mm. Luckily, my HF step bit was perfect for the job as it's the correct max diameter and heats up enough to bore a smooth hole.

Then I cut down the e30 sleeves to the same length as the Escort ones

Then pressed it all back together.

The top has a different threat length, but basically goes together just like the e30 and is the same diameter, so upper e30 mounts can be re-used. This really shows the diameter difference.

And, installed....

Did a quick check on CV boot clearance at full droop, since that's an issue for some larger rear shocks based on other peoples' experience. Happy to say, they clear fine. I'll have to be careful with my spare CVs that i use smaller CV boots (some aftermarket brands are larger for some reason).

So, took it for a quick test drive. unfortunately. here in the DC suburbs, there is literally not a rough road within 10 miles of me so it's kind of hard to quickly test suspension stuff (which is annoying on one hand, but nice for regular driving). So I drove around looking for bumps and manhole covers and stuff and it feels "good." Hard to quantify but the rear of the car almost has a "heavier" feel to it, as if it's "on the road" more securely. IDK, guess we'll find out at the next rallycross. But again, this is what the Scottish/UK guys say most of them use at the amateur level over there, and the spring rates they use are pretty close to my e36 M3 rear springs, so they match up pretty well. 

1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 138

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rGy5nOn8atz3hlrMkp9Sagj71E805c38DOTgz1Eki1FKxOC6WhfEYgrHfRzHJFCZ