icdpride New Reader
9/17/18 2:49 p.m.
EvanB said:

Tuning is the easy part.

Maybe if you know what you are doing, but can 100% assure you I do not lol

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/19/18 1:12 a.m.

I'm happy to try and help from afar with the tune.  I'm also running a stock 530 head and IPD turbo cam, so it should at least be close (except up at the top, because your turbo is much much larger than mine).

icdpride
icdpride New Reader
9/20/18 9:53 p.m.
Matthew Kennedy said:

I'm happy to try and help from afar with the tune.  I'm also running a stock 530 head and IPD turbo cam, so it should at least be close (except up at the top, because your turbo is much much larger than mine).

Dude that would be killer!!! this is my current tune https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p7iX6l57HmM5MpuWz4XXwHTmtjCxQVa5

I will get back to tuning and data logging soon the whole return fuel line split in 2 places. 

But please let me know what would help to post or share I appreciate every bit of input 

icdpride
icdpride New Reader
9/24/18 8:57 a.m.

Great news! I got it started and running yesterday 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R1LRLoqLFOE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R1LRLoqLFOE

Bad news is after running for around 15 mins it just shut off, then when I went to start it it sounds like the starter is bad so I could not get it restarted. I will get a video of that later but it sounds weird.

Is it possible for a starter to go bad and cause the car to shut off? Like draw enough current to starve all the other components and shut off the car even through it is not engaged?

The car still turns over fine but a hand ratchet so I am kinda stumped. I will replace the starter and go from there but just is really strange. I swear I am usually got at cars 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/18 8:21 p.m.

It sounds healthy from here!

How's voltage at the starter look? Is everything else getting power?  It looks like you've relocated the battery, so it is possible that there's a shoddy connection somewhere in that chain.  If the starter is behaving like it's low on voltage, it could be that the connection is crappy, and the starter is fine.  The things to check are voltage across the terminals at the battery, and the voltage between the big positive lug on the starter and the block.  Does the megasquirt have power when you turn the key on? What voltage does it show?

icdpride
icdpride New Reader
9/25/18 8:35 a.m.

Well it for sure seems like its the starter between the smoke and the grinding I think I am right need to pull it and confirm 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKhOC6_zv1Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the end there is some smoke, I checked all the wires nothing is melted or hot so I am assuming is the starter 

Anyone know why a starter that has maybe 30-40 starts on it would go bad so fast?

icdpride
icdpride New Reader
9/25/18 8:38 a.m.

In reply to Matthew Kennedy :

Voltage looks good it is getting 12.7v, yup everything else is getting power. The batter was relocated using a BMW main wire and tested out ok. I am thinking its the starter because everything else seems fine Megasquirt is reading 12v. I am going to pull the starter tonight and test it outside the car 

icdpride
icdpride New Reader
9/27/18 9:30 a.m.

Test fitting the back flares I think they look pretty good might need to heat them and bend them a little tighter but I think it looks good this tucked 

icdpride
icdpride New Reader
10/8/18 10:30 a.m.

Made the final cuts rivenutted the fenders and final mounted them I really like the way these cheap flares tuned out. Just waiting on a starter so I can get back to tuning and hopefully driving soon 

Volvo1500
Volvo1500
8/15/20 8:16 p.m.

Howdy I'm sure this thread is dead but I'm the new owner of this lil brick. I just picked up a 5.3 and 4l60(was looking for a t65 but either real expensive or broke) hopefully I'll be posting here with updates

Racebrick
Racebrick New Reader
8/16/20 12:51 a.m.

I'm interested in what happened with it for the last  two years  also. Looking forward to  reading more posts.

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
8/16/20 5:11 p.m.

I'm the second owner since op guy I bought it from had plans with it but also had more projects to focus on so he decided to let it go. Got it with a bunch of parts have so far only rummaged through to find the useful stuff and gave it a good vacuuming and quick exterior cleaning. Throwing it on a lift to see what all I'll need before test fitting the motor and trans 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Volvo1500 :

Interested in selling off the Volvo drivetrain?

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
8/16/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Was an empty shell when I got it so I don't have it

Stampie (FS)
8/16/20 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Volvo1500 :

That'd make it difficult to sell.  Because I'm a persistent SOB how about the pedal cluster if you're going auto?

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
8/17/20 5:44 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :I'm still searching for a manual and may change in the future so I'm going to hold onto it for now but if I change my mind I'll let ya know

Stampie (FS)
8/17/20 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Volvo1500 :

Ok I tried.  Still in for the 240LS content.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/17/20 7:40 a.m.

Familiar with Bamses Turbo Underpants on the ol youtube?  He was gone for a while but is coming back and has great content. Same car as you! 

Be sure to turn on captions in english though.....lol.

Bamses Turbo Underpants

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
8/17/20 5:41 p.m.

The springs were cut so it's definitely in need of some new ones

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
8/20/20 1:31 p.m.

Accidentally stumbled apon op in another group and found a lot of info I was curious about might try to reach out and contact him to see what else there is to know

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
8/27/20 5:46 a.m.

Cleaned the valve covers up, ordered the mounts getting a new power steering pump put on. Replacing the injectors then we just wait for the first test fit once I get my oil pan

Racebrick
Racebrick New Reader
8/28/20 12:47 a.m.

Will you be able to clear the steering shaft with those mounts? I had replace the shaft with a different one on mine.

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
9/1/20 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

I think I'm going to have to get a new one but This one may have been replaced already. I'll have to see when I go to throw the motor in

Volvo1500
Volvo1500 New Reader
9/2/20 5:55 a.m.

I picked up a nv3500 I know it'll shift like a truck but I'm alright with that for now this build is pretty budget restricted. Pretty much just playing the waiting game now till I get all the parts I ordered and get to give it a test fit 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RaFAnFPMHhomi8fqKDGPqyGyBXzIt4i4u9Dn6jJNCABufTMET7LXh1S9wccit8RC