1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
2/6/18 10:48 a.m.

incredible work

didn't want to make the trans cover easily removable with bolts?

Mikiedriftsjunk
Mikiedriftsjunk New Reader
2/6/18 1:49 p.m.
onemanarmy said:

incredible work

didn't want to make the trans cover easily removable with bolts?

I don't feel that would give you the same rigidity in a unibody car as welding it in. It would be hella nice. But I feel I'm much stronger welding it all together. It wasn't removable before haha 

Mikiedriftsjunk
2/8/18 9:22 p.m.

Spent most the day waiting on this Y pipe to show up so i could work on the exhaust.. i still have some tunnel work to do like weld it all around the bell housing area, but that has to wait until i pull the engine back out! Id like to have everything built and ready to go for a final assembly. Once the engine comes back out, ill finish up the inside stuff, completely redo the engine bay and paint it, modify the frame rails for some extra clearance. But i did manage to snap some pics today.. i just ordered my fuel pump and will be picking up haltech on the 22nd. thats about all i need for a start up! 

said pipe shows up after i shower and turn it in for the day.. 

Put a little paint on the tunnel just to keep it from rusting, also finished up one section of it. so thats a plus!

the header clearance to the steering rack is tight.. im as far away as i can be with it.. good thing i went with poly mounts! might have to upgrade to solid one day ! haha! its close, but i do have room!

some under car shots.. have the driveshaft chilling, great fit! just need to run some exhaust piping now!

Mikiedriftsjunk
2/11/18 7:59 p.m.

Spent some time today in the garage working in the car, mostly the Y pipe. Ive got that sorted now and have the 3.5 inch pipe that will be going out the back on order, should have it thursday and will be able to work the exhaust a little further. Ill probably start working on the front of the car some too and get the radiator and AC condensor mounted up. 

Anyway, here are the goods. I really wish i was a better welder haha

im terrible about taking pictures as i go, but you get the idea!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/18 8:08 p.m.

Awesome!

Mikiedriftsjunk
2/11/18 9:06 p.m.
Robbie said:

Awesome!

Thanks man! 

Mikiedriftsjunk
2/15/18 9:29 p.m.

worked on the car a bit today, really rainy and just wet here.. makes the garage miserable, everything you touch is wet.. but i got th lower support of the radiator finshed, which also serves as the front support for the hood latch. ill finish up the rest of the radiator mounting another day when it isnt so wet. and work on th exhaust some more. Got my 3.5 inch pipe.. and its HUGE going to be so tight fitting it in here hahah 

pics of the radiator setup 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/16/18 11:05 a.m.

truly impressive build

Mikiedriftsjunk
2/16/18 9:28 p.m.
MazdaFace said:

truly impressive build

Thanks buddy! I appreciate it! 

Mikiedriftsjunk
2/18/18 8:26 p.m.

worked a bit today on getting the radiator mounted up, and made the fan shroud, i cant cut the holes for the fans yet because i dont have them... but i got the hard part done. one step closer! had to cut the front lower support of the car out, had to do this on my other swap as well, gives me more room for the fan shroud, ill brace it back in and be good to go. 

Mikiedriftsjunk
3/1/18 7:13 p.m.

Got to get a little done on the car, i have the exhuaust about 90% finished, i will just have to weld the muffler on and a couple hangers and its done! gonig to run a borla XR-1 muffler. floor is wet so ill wait on that part.. I also got my fans in and new throttle cable! Picked up a haltech elite 950 and brand new harness, yeah i probably dont need it but i got a really good deal! plus its a new simple harness! 

Mikiedriftsjunk
3/1/18 7:15 p.m.

Mikiedriftsjunk
3/1/18 7:18 p.m.

Now it was time to drop the motor to finish up the trans tunnel and start working on the engine bay, i need to tiddy up a few things inside the car and put that back together as well, but i figured it would be easier ot drop the engine out the bottom, i need to come up with a little better setup but it worked! Hopefully i make good progress on the engine bay soon. 

Mikiedriftsjunk
3/4/18 8:57 p.m.

The time has come.. the time to modify the frame rails to give me some extra room and start cleaning up the engine bay and get it ready for paint. Removing most brackets and filling some unused holes then paint prep. I also went over the trans tunnel with some seam sealer inside and out.. I painted it all black when i was done but i guess i forgot to snap a pic. 

The frame rails are two layers. so when i cut it out i tacked the two sides together in may places before i welded it back in. I also had to remove part of another inside bracket, just drilled some spot welds and took them off.. then just trimmed the patch pieces to fit in flush and give me the room i was after. 

Frame rails

Mikiedriftsjunk
3/11/18 9:30 p.m.

Small update.. got the new brake booster in, its from a 1980 challanger. uses stock mounting holes, stock master cylinder fits it and its smaller than OEM. huge help here. Also got the hole for the battery cable situated and the hole fro the harness to go through. and the parts for the clutch line came in! Ordered my engine bay paint as well. Shouldnt be too long now. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/11/18 10:19 p.m.

That unequal length y-back is going to sound pretty nuts. I will wait patiently for video. 

Mikiedriftsjunk
3/12/18 10:15 p.m.
Mndsm said:

That unequal length y-back is going to sound pretty nuts. I will wait patiently for video. 

Wasn't exactly how I wanted it but I have to work with what I've got. It will serve its purpose. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/12/18 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Mikiedriftsjunk :

It'll be good. I have  faith. 

Mikiedriftsjunk
4/15/18 9:03 p.m.

It has been a minute since ive updated. just been avoiding the bad weather we were having and getting done what i can. Its getting close to time for final assembly now! that will get the car running at least, ill still have to do all the brakes and make sure its all in good workin order before i get it on the road!

Drug it outside to give it a good bath before painting the bay!

ready to spray!

I also got my clutch lines sorted out, have the one line to the master, and the other is a remote bleeder. This will make the whole installation 1000 times easier! I decided to wrap them all in some heat sheating from Thermal zero, this will help keep the heat down near the exhaust. 

Mikiedriftsjunk
4/15/18 9:11 p.m.

I made a trip back down to Haltech to pick up some more goodies! this dash will be awesome! I decided to keep the factory fuel gauge and low fuel light, I have had issues in the past with aftermarket fuel gauges, so this way is clean and simple! They also helped me get sorted on getting the proper connectors to get all this wired up! 

I decided to wire the relay block for the haltech elite 950 to a connector, so i can situate the harness on the engine, install it, then just feed the harness through the firewall and plug it in, instead of having to feed it all through the firewall from the inside!

Racepak! I started with an idea in my head, drew it out on paper, ordered some LED's and got started, i stil have to get the decals made to finish it up!

Mikiedriftsjunk
5/2/18 9:33 p.m.

its been a minute since i updated.. the engine is back in the car! time to start wiring and doing the finish work!\

Engine harness situated on the engine before putting it in, this made it 1000 time easier! 

we put the engine in from the bottom, raising the car up and rolling it under works great

in and bolted!

power steering lines wrapped in heat sheathing

Mikiedriftsjunk
5/2/18 9:39 p.m.

Off to wiring the inside, relocating the battery to the trunk, and making the mount for the ecu, wide band controller and CAN hub..  i also got the alternator and starter wired up! 

Worked out the ecu panel, sits where the factory ecu was, pretty happy with that 

Starter wiring! used thermal zero heat sheathing where its close to the header. 

Also managed to get the alternator wired up! 

Mikiedriftsjunk
5/2/18 9:40 p.m.

I got board in the middle of wiring the inside of the car and decided to clean the AC controls up 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/2/18 10:25 p.m.

Looking good.  That under-hood paint looks awesome!  

Mikiedriftsjunk
5/6/18 7:31 p.m.

Its running! Still needs a lot to be finished but it's damn running!!!

Car hasn't ran in about 12 years or more  

https://youtu.be/okxBtl_ULGQ

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2F4EHRyCfpN4MlQWfOtJC9d1H8vLVfeZVTG9mDWemQCSCJPnBoGooaMXyIHqDtb