Timing?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/15/14 7:02 p.m.

Injectors firing? Will it hit on ether?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
11/15/14 7:34 p.m.

Does it sound like its hitting or just free spinning?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/15/14 11:16 p.m.
SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/15/14 11:20 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Timing?

We have a winner! The timing was all messed up and it looked like the timing belt was skipping teeth. Turns out the cam pulley was loose. Took it all apart and reset timing, and boom.

Now I have to finish the fuel return and vent lines, and sort out the cooling system. I only ran it for a short time because there are all sorts of coolant tubes, vacuum lines, and other nonsense that need to be hooked up. It ran decent and didn't knock or anything. Dare I say it sounded good!

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
11/15/14 11:24 p.m.

Hooray, it finally runs again! Poor car probably thought it was due for the junkyard.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/16/14 5:59 a.m.

You got it running! !! Definitely proud of you. Congrats. Feel moreeenthusiastic about the project now?

And just think. The stuff that is left you can do two minutes at a time.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
11/16/14 7:53 a.m.

That is huge! You have momentum now, keep going and get it mobile. You've inspired me, I'm going to go see if I can get the old wagon fired up. I'm sick of owning stationary cars.

Winston
Winston HalfDork
11/16/14 8:13 a.m.

Getting a car running like that is the best feeling. Great job!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/16/14 12:16 p.m.

Thanks everyone for the praise and the push to get it going! I really appreciate it.

I went out there again today with the misses to show her, and it started right up, took throttle, and even tried to idle. Mind you, the vacuum lines are messed up, the MAP sensor may not be plugged into the right location, the turbo plumbing and intercooler are missing, etc.

Next step is finishing up a permanent install of the fuel lines, replacing some coolant system bits, and sorting out the vacuum lines. Once it runs reliably, I will have to install the outer rockers, clean up and paint/seam seal the rest of the floor, and get the WRX seats installed. The clutch needs to be replaced too, as well as much of the braking system (lines, rotors, emergency brake cables). And there's a lot more after that. I won't be bored this winter.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/14 1:46 p.m.

Congrats!

Obnoxio
Obnoxio New Reader
11/16/14 2:08 p.m.

Been following this on Nasioc as well. Good job!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/16/14 3:09 p.m.

Keep at it. Will continued heckling hrlp?

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
11/16/14 5:54 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Keep at it. Will continued heckling help?

Yes, this would save me a lot of time.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/16/14 6:29 p.m.
Obnoxio wrote: Been following this on Nasioc as well. Good job!

Thanks man!

We need to get some more people from Teh OT over here, especially from the Vintage Sporty Car Appreciation Thread. This place is right up their alley.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
11/16/14 8:44 p.m.

Nice!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
4/17/15 8:12 a.m.

Well, winter FINALLY seems to be over in the Northeast, so I have been getting back in the mood to work on some projects. I will be doing double time this year, as I'm trying to piece the CSX back together, as well as attempting to fix enough of my Trans Am to get it road worthy for some Hair Metal-fueled summer cruising.

But this thread is about the CSX, so let's talk about that.

As I left it last fall, I got it running, which was encouraging. I still need to button up the fuel system, as the return line is not hooked to the tank, and the lines are not tucked up where I want them yet. Another thing I needed to do was finish the passenger compartment floors. I scuffed and painted both sides of the repair patches and painted them, and I also seam sealed all the welds. This weekend, I will be installing some sound deadener mat I got in part of a trade I made that also included the fuel pump and some other odds and ends, and I will be re-installing the interior.

I will get some pics up as soon as I can, but I think you all know what seam sealer looks like.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
4/17/15 8:55 a.m.

Back from the dead! Bout damn time. ..

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
4/17/15 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I wouldn't say it's back from the dead, but it's trying to crawl its way through the dirt to the surface.

I mean, once the rockers are welded on, I can go ahead and attempt to title the thing and make it all legal. Pretty much all the other stuff that needs to be done to the car are small projects.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
4/17/15 9:18 a.m.

So, fire up that welder man! There's a TA waiting!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
4/17/15 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Rad_Capz:

I'm letting my friend Pseudosport handle welding duties on the rockers. I've never welded anything that needs to look nice.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
4/17/15 10:39 a.m.

That's what grinders and bondo were invented for.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
4/17/15 1:43 p.m.

This is more of a list for me, but here's what I have left to do on the car to make it road ready:

-re-install interior

-modify WRX seats

-re-install sheet metal (doors, fenders, hood, etc.)

-fix front grille (it's cracked and made of pure unobtanium)

-replace rotors + pads all around

-replace one brake line

-replace E-Brake cables

-finish fuel system

-make sense of under the hood

-replace timing belt

-replace clutch

-replace tires

-replace rear track bar

-fix trunk rust

-weld in rockers

-get an intercooler/pipes and install

-get a title

The last one there needs to happen sooner than later. The car was from NH, and up there they do not need titles to register old cars. In MA, regardless of the year, you require a title to register a car. Since it was owned out of state, you need a bill of sale and a previous registration from said state, both of which I have. I'm not sure I will have this car on the road this year, but I want to get the title anyway.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
4/20/15 8:06 a.m.

Nothing exciting, but I continued seam sealing the floor welds over the weekend. I got about 99% done, until I ran out of seam sealer. I had my hands full with other weekend projects, like resurrecting my dormant 1997 Dakota from it's winter slumber, so I will pick up another can and hammer it out over the week.

I did, however sit in the driver's seat and make vroom vroom noises. Now THAT is progress.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/4/15 1:48 p.m.

Another summer gone by, another period of time with no time to wrench on anything. Seriously, all my spare wrenching time has been on my wife's daily driver and my truck, so the projects have been dormant.

I plan on turning some wrenches on this thing tomorrow. On the agenda is to finish seam sealing and to button up the rest of the fuel system. Overall goal for the year is to get the car back together so I can work on the maintenance-side of things, like a new clutch, brakes, etc. It's been in pieces for nearly 5 YEARS now.

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GukKdXdrya702y6Uee1YExf4noxPL5b8X8kRAt8WfxGRwAhRGHiFsg3jc1UHZUX0