1 2 3 4
solfly
solfly None
5/11/13 7:34 p.m.

so for some reason i cant explain i am just now joining up over here. tired of the honda forums for the most part although there are still a few good ones out there. this is the build thread of my 1988 Honda Civic STD.

this thread was originally started on one of the honda forums in march of 2009, shortly after i purchased the car.

ill be copy pasting the thread over here so please excuse any formatting issues, thanks

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:34 p.m.

ok I have built a few cars and a few trucks over the years and posted "build threads" for some of them

with my latest effort I intend to be very in depth, almost a step by step

first let's find out where my love for Honda all got started

I have faint memories of lusting over a CRX as a youth but it all really started about 6 years ago

I was on the hunt for a cheap reliable beater to last me 4 or 5 months on my 60 mile commute to and from college

one of my dads coworkers had just replaced his wires accord with a newer model and passed the older one down to his daughter making her 86 prelude expendable

I purchased the car for 500 and it served it's intended duty quite well

I did a few things to it but mostly just enjoyed driving it and the gas mileage it was capable of when compared to my truck

the car came and went and a few years later I was the owner of two chevy trucks and 0 cars

one say I was driving past one of the small local dealerships and spotted a del sol for sale and realized it had been on the lot for a while I researched the cars and made my move

the car was a 93 si with an automatic transmission

I did several suspension mode then the inevitable transmission swap making the car much more awesome, I still have it today

during the del sol's days as an automatic I discovered autocross, I ran about 5 events with a local club and became hooked

following that partial season I decided I needed to build a car better suited to that

I purchased a 91 CRX si and the build began on a budget of sorts the car retained the stock drivetrain and a heavily modified suspension, with it I won a class championship and the clubs rookie of the year award in 2006 as well as another class championship and 5th overall for 2008

having run that car for 3 full seasons I decided it was time for a change, I also had nice shoe envy as my dad had gotten into ax and purchased a 91 CRX which he had fully repainted and we built 2008 was his first full season and he won the rookie of the year and we battled in our class for the season, it was a blast

fast forward a few months after season end and one of my buddies from the club who was out of autocross offered me his 1990 si hatch with numerous mods for a killer price and I jumped on it the car needed some body work but the deal was too good to pass up

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:39 p.m.

so basically i bought a civic that was set up for autocross, found out it was rustier than i though, was gonna race it anyway then:

stumbled across an 88 STD shell for sale in virginia, around 700 miles away

i asked the seller for several specific pictures and he obliged i decided the car was the one for me

the road trip took place at the end of february, my dad and i loaded up the trailer and left thursday am at 4, we arrived at my granfathers house in dover, de that afternoon and visited then went to dinner

friday we headed out at 6, picked up the car and headed back to dover visited some more and headed for maine saturday morning

anyway, without further adeiu...

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:39 p.m.

a few pics of what i got done day 1

previous owner stripped the bay in preparation for painting, but never got to the painting...

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:40 p.m.

here it is all primed

solfly
solfly Reader
5/11/13 7:40 p.m.

first coat of paint applied

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:41 p.m.

repainted all the bolts i removed

all the parts i took off in the process

solfly
solfly New Reader

final coat

back together

a pair of shoes

solfly
solfly New Reader

and a before and after

solfly
solfly New Reader

did some work stripping the donor car

prepping to pull the engine

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:42 p.m.

engine out

solfly
solfly New Reader

more strippage

wiring pics for reference

solfly
solfly New Reader

stripped and the parts pile

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:43 p.m.

dash out of the donor car

dash out of the blue car

column and 2 dashes

dad tangled up in the full harness out of the donor car (:

solfly
solfly New Reader

blue car stripped and full of parts, gutted shoes make for good storage

solfly
solfly Reader

sweet STD seat vs Si seat, have to switch the rails or pans

new autocross tires (hoosiers) vs the old (azenis)

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:44 p.m.

painting up the underhood stuff

insulation i ripped off the carpet, pounds are bad

solfly
solfly New Reader

the gutting process

the parts piles

solfly
solfly New Reader

pics from the weekend

sad donor car ):

engines in, should fire this week

hoosiers fit, may need to raise the suspension 1/2" or so but it isnt going to compress much

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:45 p.m.

koni spss3s

solfly
solfly New Reader

so how about a spec sheet

[u]88 Civic STD[/u]

Drivetrain 1990 D16A6 1990 Civic Si Transmission Circuit Hero Shift Extender DNX 4-2-1 Header Skunk 2 Catback Integra Dual Core Radiator Amsoil Syncromesh Transmission Fluid

Chassis/Suspension Koni SPSS3 Race Struts GC 450f/550r Coilovers Full Race Front Crossmember 1990 Si Steering Rack Full Energy Suspension Bushing Kit Neuspeed 4pt Front Upper Tie Bar EBay Rear upper Tie Bar Ingalls Front Camber Kits Ingalls Rear Smart Arms ST 22mm Rear Sway bar NO Front Sway Bar Si Front Brakes Si Brake Booster 89 Prelude 15/16" Brake Master Cylinder 13x10 Aero Race Wheels with 5" Backspace 22.0x10.0x13 Hoosier Bias Race Slicks

Interior Grant GT Wheel with Quick Release Hub Full 90 Si Interior Russell Aluminum Race Seat RCI 4 Pt Drivers Harness Ractive 4 Pt Passengers Harness Circuit Hero Shift Extender

Exterior 90-91 Front Turn Signals 90-91 Side Moulding

solfly
solfly New Reader

coming together

most of the interior in

engines in

old car, new car and the donor

seats in, notice the funny wear on the pass. side when you do a pan swap from 88/89 to 90/91 the seats have to swith sides, weird

anyway these pics are a week and a half old more has been done should be getting a part from ground control today then thursday i will be on it again most of the day, ill try to remember my camera

solfly
solfly New Reader
5/11/13 7:46 p.m.

had the first autocrosses of the season and i did pretty well, 2nd in class day 1 and 1st day 2

need to put on my spare front fenders and trim them, get rid of some weight and get the fuel line im searching for

heres a few pics, ill post more

solfly
solfly New Reader

solfly
solfly Reader

a couple in action pics

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R4r3Qlv0REjr2rQ9QPk9OiMfPykTrpKSdb5Y7WWwCvHyeDZX2nCzpoHR9Z371zp4