1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/6/15 7:43 a.m.

Thanks.

The wheels cost me $112 a piece shipped - Konig Dial In 15x7 metallic grey. The Tires are Nitto Neo Gen 205/50/15 paid $308 shipped (plus an additional $60 gift card). I think they look great, and new tires smell awesome.

I chose these tires mostly because of price, ($62 each shipped). But also because I needed something with an intermediate tread wear. My commute to work is almost an hour each way, and I wanted to strike the compromise between performance and durability.

The width/ offset will be very tight. They fit, but with 1/4 inch to spare. So I may be making a spacer in the near future.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/6/15 7:47 a.m.

So, is it back on the road?

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/6/15 8:08 a.m.

Yes! I'm still working out some bugs

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/6/15 8:46 p.m.

Test fitting the wheels. I have not permanently mounted them yet because I'm waiting on some new lug nuts. My originals lugs were too fat.

I also bled the brakes with my handy new vaccum brake bleeder.

They were thoroughly nasty. My budy called it "satan's piss". Pretty uneventful, but I was disappointed in the level of suction it produced.

I bought a 2.5 inch exhaust kit to fit a Honda.

While it was a close fit, it wasn't close enough. Several sections needed adjustment or extension.

And in the spirit of true honesty that I've tried to show through out this build I give you my crappy welds. In my defense I used the stick wlder I had at home rather than the tig welder I had at work. Because, who can wait till Monday?

Nothing quite like burning a hole in your brand new exhaust to teach you how to fill a hole with the welder.

I bought a large size rigid plumbing pipe cutter that worked beautifully for straight cuts

And then struggled on my back while I adjusted, re adjusted, and then re-readjusted.

Look how tiny the old exhaust was. No wonder it had leaks. That air had to go somewhere.

One of my major concerns was how to tie the new pipe to the old cast iron ex manifold. I'm not quite ready to make a custom turbo manifold, and needed to fashion my new pipe in a way that I could bolt up to the existing one and still work in the future. I was delighted to find that the new flange in the kit would bolt up to my old flange perfectly. It was only a matter of getting the angle just right.

I did some research to find a new muffler too. I didn't want a fart can. I'm not 16 anymore. I needed something that I could rev at night without disturbing the neighbors. I bought a turbo thrush, but listened to a youtube example and it was everything I hated. Annoying There was also a Dynomax VT that looked really good to me. Dynomax But I couldn't shake all the negative reviews. In the end I went with a Walker quiet flow universal. It was way bigger than my original and needed some massaging to fit.

All done. Quiet achieved. Better flow achieved. I even like the tone.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/15 11:36 p.m.

Fantastic work

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/7/15 5:33 a.m.

Oh my. Thats wonderful.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/7/15 3:35 p.m.

Drove it to work for the first time and got my new windshield installed. Feels awesome to accelerate onto on-ramps and have the front wheels pull you through the turn as you accelerate.

DirtyDiesel
DirtyDiesel New Reader
8/7/15 4:01 p.m.

awesome project! Do you have another one in white? or what's the story on the white one?

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/7/15 6:18 p.m.

I have another one in white! It is an 89 with a factory sun roof. They call it the one year wonder because they only offered the DOHC motor for the final year. One year wonder

It appears to have a blown head gasket. The body is in better shape than the red one, and it is completely stock. I have no plans for it at the moment. I did buy an Isuzu Impulse turbo motor at the junkyard that would fit. hmm....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/7/15 9:21 p.m.

Give you $250 and a grilled cheese sammich for the white one. ...

Because of you, I am now lusting after a damn Isuzu. Never thought that would happen.

Desy
Desy New Reader
8/8/15 3:49 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Give you $250 and a grilled cheese sammich for the white one. ... Because of you, I am now lusting after a damn Isuzu. Never thought that would happen.

I fraking hate that. A friend of mine has me wanting to sell my GSR, and anything else worth a decent amount of cash to get a Pulsar GTI-R. Apparently he knows where one is for sale, already registered in the USA legally (not vin-swapped).

NickD
NickD New Reader
8/8/15 6:24 a.m.

Been reading through this build. Very interesting and love all the details on the machine work. Friend and I saw one of these in the junkyard a few years back and he pried the Handling By Lotus badge off for his personal badge collection.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/8/15 9:08 p.m.

I'll be keeping the white one, You could get an Isuzu impulse though ...craigslist Isuzu Impulse
or one with a 350 swap craigslist Isuzu Impulse 350

But there aren't any I-Marks on craigslist at the moment.

Wow I'd never heard of a Pulsar GTI-R they look amazing. When I googled it I expected to see bad taillights from the 80s but those are amazing. Hot hatch FTW.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/8/15 9:22 p.m.

My original grille was cracked when I got the car right below the ISUZU emblem. I found a new grille, except it was on the sister car, the chevy spectrum, and therefore had a Chevy logo attached. Now, one of the fun things about having an I-Mark is that most people don't know what it is, and I kinda like the unusual quirky-ness of the car for that reason. That's why I wanted an Isuzu emblem for the front so that it doesn't immediately give away who makes the car. Unable to find one, I made one.

I traced one onto some scrap aluminum

Then milled it down with an 1/8 end mill. -This took forever taking off a very little bit at a time

Turned out great

Next step is to polish it.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/10/15 8:41 p.m.

Got the wheels installed!

I think they look fantastic. Exactly the multi-spoke look I wanted. (Although It shows off my ugly rear drums that I'll need to upgrade to discs)

I also test fitted the new emblem

listen to my new exhaust: https://www.youtube.com/embed/KHTIZdsTpt4 It is getting fun now. Don't they have an exhibition class a the challenge for people that went over budget?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/11/15 5:54 a.m.

Yes they do. Ive been debating going and taking the elky.

classicJackets
classicJackets New Reader
8/11/15 4:05 p.m.

Wheels look amazing on there, good choice! There's one for sale in Atlanta, lots already done to it. $1500 and non-running http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5159465575.html

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/12/15 9:00 p.m.

I've had some stutter during WOT and I thought it might be my injectors. So I watched a video on how to make your own injector cleaner. and made one of my own. When I went to the auto parts store there were lots of different cleaners to choose from. I looked for the one with the most toxic chemicals I could find. The kind that aren't safe to use in the state of California.

I had a push button for a future project and an old harness to steal a connector off of. A couple pipe fittings later and I was in business. I cleaned my spare injectors first. One wouldn't "click" one leaked under pressure and the other two cleaned up just fine. The ones off the car were rusty at the inlet (which concerns me) and one of them wouldn't spray correctly, but the other 3 improved.

I haven't installed them yet, and I will definitely get a new fuel filter when I do.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/12/15 10:51 p.m.

Nice work!!!

The exhaust was similar to mine, but you did a better job of taking pictures. For me "connect to the old part flange", I just cut the old one off and welded it to the new pipe and hogged out the opening to suit it.

It's only making 122 hp in my case...

Please let me know how the fuel injectors go, I am very curious about that.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/18/15 12:06 p.m.

Fuel injectors went well. I have less stutter now. But I think they are too large. My fuel mileage is terrible. I see 14.7 at idle and cruising on the wide band. And 10.8 at WOT. I have not researched it to know if that is right or not.

Another thing that isn't right is bragging about 12 valves. 12 valves don't impress anybody (unless the year is 1990. )

So I decided to do something about it.

What do you think I should put there instead?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/18/15 12:14 p.m.

"Booooost"

Or maybe "turbo"

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/18/15 12:31 p.m.

The name of your machine shop business.

Or f6sk

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/18/15 12:55 p.m.

Cool!

Just do "I-Mark" in neat lettering.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/18/15 1:11 p.m.

My buddy said 13 valve

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
8/18/15 9:27 p.m.

10.8 is way too rich, get her to 11.5 AT LEAST..12 is about good for turbo.

Best way to lean it out? More boost, duh.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MFVF9ytPxa9Lv8qFb9cskGlNVfwCniV6FkRdRqIdeo29o8aMWwJR1zt1WLy6Q9Q5