1 ... 3 4 5
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/19/17 8:49 p.m.

Wait, that was an oak?? Is it all gone??

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/19/17 9:24 p.m.
bluej wrote: Wait, that was an oak?? Is it all gone??

There is still 80 feet of it sitting in my neighbor's yard, and he and I are taking additional trees down within the week. If you want a bunch of oak, I think the plan is just to cut it up and roll it into the woos behind our houses, lol....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/20/17 7:16 p.m.

And today got under the rear end and replaced the stock linkage and shifter arm with the upgraded stuff, including a short-shift setup. Install was pretty straightforward if a bit tight to work under there with the car sitting on the ground, but no real issues. The result is a short-throw an precise shifting action up front - surprisingly direct considering the long linkage all the way to the back of the car!

The old and new parts

installed

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/22/17 7:36 p.m.

After a full day of car dealers with my wife (we are looking for a new kid-hauler for her so that the Sequoia will become my full-time tow/utility rig), we did not come home with a new vehicle yet....

Dealers are always frustrating (only slightly more so than car-shopping with a spouse...) so to blow off some stress did some more Porsche work - suspension stuff (which I enjoy).

Not sure if I noted it before, but I got a full set of new Bilstein HDs for the car, so I pulled off the gnarly old front strut assemblies, disassembled everything, pulled out the old Boge-style insters (and all the associated oil), cleaned it all up, painted everything and reassembled and reinstalled...

Note: For this car with a 22mm top shock nut, I found that a spark plug socket and a driver-style Allen socket worked perfectly to break free the rusty upper nut (my impact would not do it).

Forgot to take pics of the nasty stuff that came out, but here's what it all looked like after cleanup.

And installed again, good to go. Next up: rebuild the front calipers and install the new rear shocks..

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/24/17 6:21 p.m.

So, it's hard to keep up with multiple build threads, especially this one where I'm not doing anything all that exciting other than rejuvinating old stuff with newer, mostly stock stuff. So I'm going to fold future posts about this car into my e30 Rally Build thread - so follow along there if you want to!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/mein-e30-mein-sammlungkreuz-baugewinde-my-318i-rallycross-build-thread/40440/page1/

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cCiBSDnGbnieZl9jowtyN3Wmy2uUzSzLcrLIUDE5cyAjKFFjHbTdoYRWUk9lGX3z