1 2
jstancel
jstancel Reader
11/27/13 9:57 a.m.

Isn't this a twin I beam? Getting it low will require drop beams which means $$$. Instead, throw Crown Vic front suspension under it.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
11/27/13 5:12 p.m.

In reply to tripp:

Delayed - slowed down the project considerably. The previous owner had bare wire (cut unconnected and connected) throughout the truck. A bare wire for the heater fan motor was bare touched metal underneath the dash. The smoke show then begun. Enough time to repair most and get it running but not very well.

I have not decided if I'm going to rechallenge this or go another route.

I am considering non challenge-with dual cheap ebay turbos and dual carbs.

Part of me is also considering going without a hood and front fenders.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
11/27/13 6:02 p.m.

I'd find an super rusty non running 2wd f150 with a salvageable frame and swap the bronco body onto it. Either that or swap the body onto a wrecked p71 chassis.

tripp
tripp New Reader
11/28/13 8:58 p.m.

Can the front suspension swap for the f150 2wd?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/29/13 7:42 a.m.

Not that I don't like the idea but you would have a hard time finding a worse starting point for the Challenge. You're starting with a ~5,000lb top-heavy truck with ~200 horsepower.

Can't really lower the 4x4 TTB due to massive camber changes, waaaay heavier than even a 351 can overcome.

It can be done but as others have alluded to, you may end up with chassis x with Bronco body panels. Lose the top btw. Very heavy and all of it in the wrong place.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/29/13 7:43 a.m.
tripp wrote: Can the front suspension swap for the f150 2wd?

A 4x2 can easily be converted to 4x4 with the right donor. I'm sure it could be reversed.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
11/29/13 10:33 p.m.

Still Twin-I-Beam albeit a bit lower than a 4WD. Not sure if it would be low enough or could be lowered any more than it is. Now this is taking in consideration that the same era 4X2 as the full size Bronco is used which would probably make the swap easier. Ford truck got away from the Twin-I-Beam around 97/98 with that body style change.

tripp
tripp New Reader
11/30/13 7:40 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Being so far from the standard starting point makes it all the more interesting but I definitely get your point that we are getting extra hurdles due to the chassis.

When you say loose the top do you mean the roof or the removable rear topper?

Thanks Tripp

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/30/13 9:25 a.m.

The fiberglass top should go...

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the underdog status. I'm just thinking about trying to overcome the weight on non-negotiable items like the chassis and most of the drivetrain.

If you're up to the "Challenge", I'm 100% behind you!

tripp
tripp New Reader
12/2/13 2:53 p.m.

Given our price starting point it helps to offset the weight and I like having something of a different build.

Weight reduction and lowering will be big factors in this build being successful but I think the 351 can be made into enough of a power plant (maybe some turbos etc) to allow it to move well.

Sounds like the 2wd swaps might be the best way to make this into a viable racer. Sounds like the twin I beam set ups are not very friendly for this type of racing?

Any suggestions on extreme weight

tripp
tripp New Reader
12/2/13 2:53 p.m.

Extreme weight reduction ideas?

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
12/2/13 3:46 p.m.

That race truck with the body swap idea isn't looking so insane now is it?

tripp
tripp New Reader
12/2/13 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

HAHA yeah, it is looking fairly reasonable

I wonder how flexible they are on pricing?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nrK6XS7pnJMEgfRlIn6HGMuClNZvRwDlRVVAxr2uke2Uole28K6aDAfOk7MjT0nP