1 2 3
Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/9/12 6:45 p.m.

Alright guys, this is my first ever build thread. I've been on the internet and on car forums for over half of my life. I've had many projects, but I've never documented one. I'm looking to change that with this thread.

Over the past couple of weeks, my Jeep XJ has been giving me enough problems to consider getting rid of it. I took it off the road today because it's just not safe to drive anymore. That leaves me needing a new vehicle. Being that I'm a pack rat, and that I had at least one of these cars since I was 14, I know them pretty well and have accumulated a lot of parts, including some relatively rare parts. In this thread, I'm going to show you how clean and reliable you can make a car that has been sitting for years.

I purchased this car for $350 from a 3geez member with a dead transmission. Since I had a spare transmission on hand, I did the swap, pulled the car around the house, and let it sit for years. I've moved it around on occasion, but for the past 2 years, I couldn't get it to start.

The first thing I did was drain the fuel tank and remove it. The car was parked with a nearly full tank, but I only drained out about 3 gallons. I cleaned out the tank, reinstalled it with all new evap hoses, installed a new high flow fuel pump and promptly let the car sit for another six months.

Today I decided I was going to just get the damned thing running again so I could drive something that's fun to drive again.

I tossed a good battery in it, poured in a couple gallons of fuel, and nothing. It won't start. There is certainly fuel in the tank, but it was apparently expected to have about 2 gallons or so that's left unusable, presumably to catch crud. I'll get some more gas tomorrow and give it another shot and we'll see where we are.

Now for the pics.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/9/12 7:05 p.m.

My dad had an '89 LX four door that was the same exact color combo as that. Bought it with 129000 miles and junked it at 320000, never changed the oil. The only things that got fixed/changed on that car were: clutch once, alternator once and AC once. Rod bearings got noisy at the end and we donated it. J

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
7/9/12 7:17 p.m.

I have a new water pump/timing belt kit I could let you have for cheap.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
7/9/12 7:27 p.m.

I like this already...I always thought the LXi hatchbacks looked pretty sweet. Hope you get it running!

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/9/12 7:57 p.m.

I can hear the fuel pump losing prime when I cycle the ignition a few times, so there's just more unused fuel in that tank that I thought there would be.

This is far from my first 89 Accord. I have another 88 coupe that I've considered entering into the Challenge, but I think it will ultimately be a parts car for this car. I also have several 88 and 89 sedans for parts. 2 spare engines, a spare transmission, doors, hoods, trunk lids, you name it, I have at least one, probably 2 or 3 of them simply laying around or on one of my parts cars. I even have a high performance cam, adjustable cam gear, exhaust header, cat-back exhaust, and a head I'm porting out.

In the end, this should be a really fun project.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/9/12 8:05 p.m.

I like me some LXi action. I used to have a '92 EX coupe and that car didn't have a single problem other than a busted CV boot in 230k miles. Never even replaced the clutch.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/9/12 8:09 p.m.

I honestly scored an incredible deal at $350 for this one. It came with a new front end rebuild kit, too. I can still see it needing a couple hundred in parts here and there, but it should be nice in fairly short order.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/10/12 8:55 p.m.

Today's progress was slow. It still isn't starting. I have spark because it will start with a manifold of carb cleaner in it. It will also run for a few seconds after it fires over, albeit at a very low idle, under 500 RPM, on gas. I seem to be maintaining fuel pressure, so I don't think it's a fuel pressure issue. My next test will be to see if all of the injectors are being triggered, and then if they are, I'm replacing the injectors with a set from another car. I might end up testing all of them and putting together a set. If that doesn't solve the issue, I'm going to swap the distributor out to eliminate that. I have already tried another coil, although it was an old stock coil. I have an MSD Blaster 2 coil I plan on installing one way or the other, so I might install that as part of troubleshooting.

I didn't take any pictures today because I haven't really made any changes. I'll take some as soon as I clean it up and I'll get it on film when I get it running.

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
7/10/12 9:11 p.m.

Nice! I love the flip-headlight Accords. I was sorely tempted by one almost identical to this that is still sitting in a repair shop lot just outside London (ON).

Really wish they had released the Aerodeck over here, though: I remember seeing ads for this model in Autocar magazine in the late 80s. Sexy wagon (estate?) that.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/10/12 9:47 p.m.

There was one for sale on Craigslist not too long ago, but it was an A18 model. As soon as the 1989 model years fall under the 25 year old law, I'm importing a B20 RHD Aerodeck. I forget off the top of my head which B20A it was, but one of them is a 160 HP engine. That's the one I'm going for. I plan to keep it mostly stock.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
7/10/12 10:43 p.m.

In reply to rallymodeller:

Holy crap I wish they brought the aerodeck here! I had an '87 5spd carbed LX sedan and after that an '88 5spd LXi sedan. Good cars.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/10/12 10:51 p.m.

Honestly, that's my favorite generation of Accord overall. Ive had 3 of those and one of the gen before.

Gotta say, tho, after reading the comment about making a car that's been sitting for years reliable, i really expected it to at least run at some point in the thread.

My 85 CRX sat for a year before i got it and i started it up and promptly drove it 4k miles before handing it off to a relative. 42mpg.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/10/12 11:15 p.m.

This one has been sitting since October of 2008, and has only been started a few times since. The last time I started it was some time in early 2010. Prior to that, it didn't live a very good life.

I am posting updates to several sites, so if something seems out of place with a post, it's because it's a copy paste job.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/12/12 5:52 p.m.

I got it running. I had a spare set of fuel injectors (I mean, who here doesn't?) that I cleaned and installed. Primed the system and it started right up.

Evidence here.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/12/12 6:10 p.m.

Congrats!

But.. ze content is unavailable.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/12/12 7:11 p.m.

Should be working now.

coll9947
coll9947 Reader
7/12/12 8:27 p.m.

Ah yes, the 86-89 Accord... the only thing that will survive Armageddon besides cockroaches.

I love these things, especially gold LXi coupes.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/12 11:16 a.m.

Bump so we can move it to the new project car/build thread forum.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/28/12 7:31 a.m.

Sweet, it's a build thread thread.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
7/28/12 11:57 p.m.

I love this era of Hondas. You can always find a little of what you're looking for in a Honda from the 80's or 90's. This looks good so far, I'm a sucker for white Hondas with pop-up headlights. Best of luck on the build

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
8/13/12 9:56 p.m.

Well, I have tires on order through Tire Rack. As soon as I get my wheels refinished and the tires installed, I just need to clean it out and register it. Hopefully my Jeep will sell fast to make things happen quickly. I might be able to squeeze a $1000 or less class Challenge entry out of this if that Heep sells.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/14/12 8:55 p.m.

My first car was an '88 LX sedan, in that same color combo.

You are making me miss that car again

Almost tempted to offer a trade if you get it running.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
8/15/12 8:17 p.m.

Well, it runs, but it's not for sale. It would take a really high offer to make me get rid of that car. It's a long-term car for me.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/15/12 10:17 p.m.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. It is a fantastic car. I'm not sure I could part with my neon R/T for it.

Nor is there enough drugs in Florida to make some one crazy enough to make a trade for a rusty NY car, unless you wanted to put the fun R/T bits into a clean shell.

But seriously, I'm jealous and I hope you enjoy that car for a long time.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
8/16/12 6:49 p.m.

Hey, Derrick, just out of curiousity, have you had issues with the the ecu throwing a code 12?

I get that consistently on my Prelude (which shares so many commonalities with FI Accords). My mechanic, who wrenched and raced A20's, is certain it's the EGR solenoid control valve. I'm curious if you have chased the same problem and if a replacement part solved the issue.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TnQg12gMNviuWQqKVpvvOsyfQ0GGs4E6TwRy0Z5oxvQZ1EvRP1NIjeqVJmw0JTwb