1 2
nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta None
1/16/13 7:05 p.m.

Good Evening, at least where I am anyway. This is my 1989 Mustang I found on craigslist. I wanted to do a budget rallycross build, like many people are looking to do these days. I originally wanted to get something AWD, but the price of AWD was more then I was looking spend. I was then inspired by this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOys9_QYhA.. So my searched moved from AWD to good old V8 muscle. I came across this mustang on craigslist, where many good things can be found. The dude was asking 2700 for it, I emailed him my only offer of 1600 and he took it. Got it home and started the work immediately.

Tore out the interior all AC components removed, and ford racing AC delete kit installed. On the way home it was getting real hot, turned out the radiator was bad. Sourced one from a friend for a few bucks. Did new bearings and seals in the rear end, and had new studs pressed in the axel while they were out. All new brake hardware out back, as well as cross drilled and slotted rotors up front with a quality pad. Shocks and springs are shot, so new ford racing springs front and rear, with kyb shocks and struts. They springs are a hair stiffer then stock, and only like .5'' drop. Pretty much the least amount of drop i could find with out the springs being stiff as a board.

That's where im at now, the rear is all done and im working on the front.

Have a small amount of rust in a floor pan im going to try some POR 15 on, and a small spot where a seem separated that needs to be welded. Following the welding work seats and a harness bar will go in. Since im not close to a rallycross even ill probably do some shake down runs at an autocross even held monthly close by. Blah blah, not going to bore with any more boring details. Here are some photos, more to come probably this weekend when I get to do some more work.

Some used tires to get it back on the road for shake down testing

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
1/16/13 7:07 p.m.

In reply to nlmoschitta:

Uggghhh my awesome typing skills can be seen in my miss spelled title....

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/16/13 7:48 p.m.

Nice, keep up the good work.

Look for cracks in the floor under the seats. You will need frame connectors if you don't already have them.

Foxes rule BTW

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
1/16/13 8:35 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg: Yes under the driver seat is rust, and where a seam has separated. I was thinking about the subfarme connectors, just don't want to make it too stiff.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/16/13 8:40 p.m.

It will come apart on a Rallycross circuit without connectors.

It is mandatory on any performance Fox

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/16/13 8:41 p.m.
nlmoschitta wrote: I was thinking about the subfarme connectors, just don't want to make it too stiff.

No such thing with Foxes....

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/16/13 9:37 p.m.
nlmoschitta wrote: ... I was thinking about the subfarme connectors, just don't want to make it too stiff.

If you're half-way serious about this, I'd install subframe connectors, possibly the "spider braces" that run over to the pinch seam running under the doors and tie back to the subframe connectors, and then weld in a cage that attaches at points where the subframe connectors run as well as the torque box in front of the back axle. Basically try to brace the car together from the floor to the top.

If you need compliance, find it in your suspension bushings and springs.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
1/16/13 9:37 p.m.

Subframe connectors are an easy upgrade and are definitely mandatory. On my 83 convertible it would pop the doors open under hard accel before and the floors were cracking apart, afterwards I could jack on one corner and lift the whole side of the car up, it made a HUGE difference in the way it drove.

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
1/17/13 4:11 p.m.

Well in that case, point well taken fellas. preference wise, Think the weld ins over bolt in or vis versa?

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/17/13 4:17 p.m.

In reply to nlmoschitta:

Weld in. No debate.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/17/13 8:11 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to nlmoschitta: Weld in. No debate.

absolutely, with the seat support.

photo IMG_0904.jpg

photo IMG_0909.jpg

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
1/17/13 8:24 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
pres589 wrote: In reply to nlmoschitta: Weld in. No debate.
absolutely, with the seat support.

+1, they're stupid cheap too.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/18/13 7:26 a.m.

Are you looking for power, handling, brakes... Fox has a little of each but can easily be made to have a lot of both

MichaelYount
MichaelYount New Reader
1/18/13 6:08 p.m.

My brother's '86 -- full MM suspension - coilover front, torque arm rear. Breathed on FRPP crate motor. It's lots of fun. A few pics for inspiration...

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/Marcs%20Car/DSC00162.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/Marcs%20Car/DSC00170.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/Marcs%20Car/DSC00201.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/Marcs%20Car/DSC00168.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s937.photobucket.com/user/MichaelYount/media/Marcs%20Car/DSC00202.jpg.html][/URL]

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/19/13 9:24 a.m.

In reply to MichaelYount:

How did you get that pic when the car is doing 55?

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
1/19/13 5:11 p.m.

Weld in sub frame connectors with seat support, check. Ill add that to my weekend research list. Thanks for the pointers.

As far as what I am looking out of the fox, nothing exact. Im not looking to win anything or whatever, mostly just have a really good time with some buddies turning wrenches. I just want to get a little more overall performance, and take it to some autocross events for s's and g's; and also be able to hit a rally cross event and beat on it in the dirt.

It may sound like a tall order to have a dual purpose car, but im not all that concerned with having a stellar setup, and blah blah. Just want to have fun. So far its been a really good time, and ive learned the importance of air tools... need them badly. some of these 24 year old bolts are a son of gun.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
1/19/13 6:49 p.m.

^That is the most legit Fox body Mustang I've ever seen! (At least the non-straight line kind)

MichaelYount
MichaelYount New Reader
1/20/13 7:46 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: In reply to MichaelYount: How did you get that pic when the car is doing 55?

Just 'cause the speedo points to 55 doesn't mean the car's going 55! It's got some kind of built in diagnostic that tells it to point to a certain number (I think you can program it) when the car's turned off - let's you know it's functioning right. I believe when you turn the key to ignition it also cycles to that point and back down to confirm all's working properly.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
1/20/13 10:17 a.m.

In reply to MichaelYount:

I think he knows that, hence the

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
3/5/13 4:47 p.m.

Finally got purchased an air compressor thanks to help from some people on the board. Front and rear springs and shocks all installed, and back together. Was a super pain in the ass to get the front springs in...

Next order of business: seats. Need seats, brackets, adapters and what not. Thinking about going with this set from Summit Racing, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum4001/overview/year/1989/make/ford/model/mustang Includes everything needed for installation and is specific for the car. Once I stop being a chump and get these seats in its ready to go back on the road.

Once its road ready, it will need a paint job and a really cheap one at that. I was originally thinking a maaco job, but i'm kind of considering maybe doing it my self. Ive never painted anything, but with enough research on the internet I think I can get educated enough to get paint to stick to the body. I'm not concerned with how good the paint job is, as long as its better then whats on their.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/5/13 8:49 p.m.

Not meant to be anything more than a help in how to do this project on the cheap.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/rx50-project/33672/page1/

Keep it under $2013 and bring it to Gainesville for the Challenge

More Foxes FTW

Cuda
Cuda Reader
3/5/13 9:03 p.m.

For Mustang suspension stuff head over to MaximumMotorsports. I had some of their stuff on my 00GT, and my friend had a full setup on his 01 Cobra. Really quality stuff. I would recomend a chassis brace kit with the full length subframe connectors. It will really tighten up the car.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
3/5/13 9:30 p.m.

Where are you located?

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
10/18/13 2:50 p.m.

Totally forgot about my build here, time to update!

Unfortunately the project took a back seat a few months back, however I have been working recently.

Wish the car, and I would be ready for Gainesville but not this time.

I have recently got the seats and brackets in and mounted, and did the inner tie rod ends over the weekend. Hope to do the outers tonight and get some seat time this weekend.

photo 20131018_152553_resized_zpsaba6975e.jpg

On the to do list, have a spot in the floor where the seams have separated, so need to get a buddy to give me a quick weld job on that. Ill do sway bars in the near future, as there is no front at all.

Wanted to be ready for this rally cross even in Ocala FL, at the end of the month but its not going to happen. http://www.rallyflorida.org/events/info/29

I am shooting for an even toward the end of nov in tampa fl, http://www.rallyflorida.org/events/info/28

Cheers! Nick

nlmoschitta
nlmoschitta New Reader
11/16/13 7:28 a.m.

Two junk yard scores this week, a much needed front sway bar and the cobra style explorer intake.  photo 20131115_180515_zpsd5cf36ff.jpg

photo 20131115_180341_zps5b53deb1.jpg

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k2z4htjqHONhaDYCeN4Mg6Ewiyuwdq8iQ5cTq3Qd5rxrjKBKEJaWDa1uVrn8M7ni