1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/13/13 6:11 a.m.

This is a long term project that was actually started a year or two ago, and is currently lacking an identity, meaning that I haven't totally decided what to do with it yet beyond a restoration. So as I go I'll be asking for opinions on things like the end purpose, engine mods, drivetrain swaps, tires/wheels/suspension, etc..
The picture below is what I started with. I'll post some initial pictures a little later today to give everyone an idea of what's been done so far. Right now it's a rolling shell, so the canvas is wide open.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/13 10:01 a.m.

Suggestion: Replace the sunroof seal as soon as you can find one.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/13/13 10:40 a.m.

It would make a fine rallycross car, though I'm not sure that restoration and rallycross really go together.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/13/13 11:17 a.m.

Okay, this is going to jump around a little bit because in the beginning I didn't do much documenting. Once I get caught up things will go smoother.
The car is currently a rolling shell. So the photos below will show whatever I have to cover the teardown.

Engine before we started:

Drivetrain out.

Engine and transaxle stripped down for cleaning and paint.

Dirty engine compartment:

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/13/13 11:20 a.m.

Some engine compartment clean up to see if we need to paint it or not. What do you think? We've now cleaned the entire area, but I don't have a picture that shows all of it.

RPSadler
RPSadler New Reader
2/13/13 12:39 p.m.

a) Whats the budget? b) What do you want it to do "REALLY" well? c) Do you have any reservations about cutting/welding?

The SOHC isn't going to cut it AND since it's out, I'd have my mind set on the 2000cc mark. B20's are cheap and will pull that slay around no problem.

Richard

Woody
2/13/13 3:03 p.m.

No paint.

RPSadler
RPSadler New Reader
2/13/13 4:07 p.m.
Woody wrote: No paint.

Strip it, brush it, clear it!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 5:37 a.m.

In reply to RPSadler:

I "think" he meant to not re-paint the engine compartment, not leave the car unpainted, but I could be wrong. I can tell you that the latter isn't going to happen.

Woody
2/14/13 8:11 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to RPSadler: I "think" he meant to not re-paint the engine compartment,

^This.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 11:05 a.m.

Once the engine was out, we moved on to stripping the interior. The interior is in pretty good shape, so most of it will get re-used, but I am going to replace the carpeting. The bolts that hold the door jamb seat belt bracket wouldn't come out, so I had to drill a couple of them out.

This was interesting, considering that the car was being used consistently up until the time we started this project:

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 11:06 a.m.

The gas tank started leaking just before we took the car off the road, so out it came and it will be replaced.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 11:14 a.m.

Now we move on to removing the doors and fenders. Below are some pictures of what the shell looks like after everything is removed. After years of working on and restoring cars, I'm no longer surprised when removing parts reveals that the car is in worse shape than it seemed. It happens every time.

Woody
2/14/13 12:34 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:

That's what killed mine right there, but on a much more massive scale. I'm pretty sure that's the result of a bad sunroof seal.

Woody
2/14/13 12:34 p.m.

Also: This is my new favorite thread.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

The front rocker rust is actually a result of the fact that stuff can get thrown up in that area and gets caught between the rocker and the inside of the fender. This car has never had any sunroof issues. In any case, it will get repaired, and I'll show just how I did it.

Woody
2/14/13 12:42 p.m.

Whoops, thought that that was the rear of the rocker. I missed the big obvious steering wheel.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/15/13 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Well I guess we can overlook that one since you said this was your new favorite thread!
Be patient though, this one is going to be kind of long term, and I'm now pretty much caught up on the current condition of the car. We can, however talk about what I should do with the car! More on that later...

fifty
fifty Reader
2/15/13 11:09 a.m.

Subscribed! Also - thoughts on the utility of a 4 post lift? Makes perfect sense for me - just curious how much hassle wheel / brake / suspension work is.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/15/13 11:18 a.m.

In reply to fifty:

Ideally I'd like to have both a 4 post and a 2 post. But if you can only have one, the 4 post is the one to get. It can do everything a 2 post can, but a 2 post can't do everything a 4 post can. It is also free standing and can be moved out into the driveway for dirty work or just to use on a nice day. When I have to do work that requires the wheels off the ground, I just put my engine hoist under a jack point on the vehicle and lower the lift to raise the car up off the ramps. Then stick jack stands under it and you can do anything you can do with a 2 post. If you look at my Civic wagon build thread I think there is one or more pictures of the car on jack stands on the lift. Its easy to do, even with my Sierra, and totally stable. And just try to do that rocker panel repair on a 2 post! While I'm at it, I'll put in a plug for Bendpak. I've had it trouble free for about 7-8 years now. It's made in the USA, is relatively inexpensive, and isn't powder coated, which was something I wanted. That was its easy to repaint the ramps if I want to. Powder coating is a superior coating in many ways, but hard to work with when you need to make a repair. But so far I haven't had to do any paint work anyway, and this lift get a LOT of use, as in there is almost no time something isn't on it.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
2/16/13 12:10 p.m.

This thread ALMOST makes me miss my EF Si I sold not too long ago. I will be checking in to keep up with the build. I've seen your work on your dad's wagon. You do great work! I'll be waiting to see the final results. Keep us posted.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/16/13 8:23 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Did you do all that great fab/resto work on the Civic wagovan that was posted on here? I can't remember.

This EF has some serious metalwork ahead. Good to see one getting saved from the scrapyard.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 5:39 a.m.
gamby wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Did you do all that great fab/resto work on the Civic wagovan that was posted on here? I can't remember.

Yes.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
2/18/13 8:31 a.m.

Subscribed!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/19/13 9:03 a.m.

I need to decide what I'm going to do with this car. My ideas have ranged from doing a proper stock restoration (because nobody else does) to making it a comfortable daily driver (adding power windows, cruise control, console with cup holder, maybe an engine swap, sound deadening, etc...) to a street legal, but otherwise all out autocross/track car. One thing it won't be is a ricer, in any way shape or form.
In any case, I'm going to do it right, and the end result will be high end, at least as far as my effort if not the money put into it. IOW, I'm going to do everything to the best of my ability, whether it warrants it or not. I've kind of been using the pic below as inspiration, although mine wouldn't sit so low (northeast Ohio roads and all) and it would have a hood. I've been also toying with the idea of painting the roof an different color, most likely white. The drain rails in the roof make a nice parting line. Any suggestions, opinions, questions?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7txBtGg4rXCeYAYogZHxb0HB1QAp9liFxrwZklEx0pSSoZMH7FiVkxFi3UOzSS47