1 ... 11 12 13
edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
9/17/15 9:12 p.m.

I take it those plastic parts for the sunroof are from a sub-supplier who supplied them to Porsche, not manufactured by Porsche itself. Otherwise I imagine there would be a "0" on the end of the $45.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
9/17/15 10:01 p.m.

Pretty much everything was sub supplied by the 90's but these are OE Porsche parts. I always tell everyone that Porsche parts aren't too expensive except for the ones that are.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/27/15 11:54 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: And that's how we spend $45 when one tiny plastic part breaks. The good part is that it was only two screws on each side and a little wiggling to get the slider in, I didn't have to disassemble the sunroof mechanism. I am getting spoiled with any part I need being available. Any little plastic piece or screw or anything is just a couple of clicks away. Quite different from my Civic where a lot of bits are NLA.

well, a couple more years (?) and you'll have 3D printer to make up your own replacement plastic parts.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/23/15 9:40 a.m.

It's rather pleasant having a car that just works when life is busy. Mrs. Deuce is back to commuting in the 911 and I keep using it to instruct autocross for the PCA. Consistently the roughest air cooled Porsche that shows up to PCA events, but people still like getting rides. I haven't taken a solo run in over a year.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/12/18 11:35 a.m.

This thread has been sitting silent as all good ownership logs should when life is going well. The truth is that we put something like four tanks of gas though it last year. Life is busy. Mrs. Deuce had a weird commuting schedule, I'm always dragging around too many kids, I have autocrossed very seldom. The valves are still due to be adjusted. Still leaks oil, so I added some. 

No other car feels this good when I drive it, yet I seldom drive it. One of life's great mysteries. 
When I drive I NEED to be someplace. Usually picking up or dropping off a kid. A great sense of responsibility with that. Feels a bit like a job that you really don't want to screw up. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/14/18 11:52 a.m.

Time to move it along, I graciously volunteer my heated garage.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/14/18 4:33 p.m.

Only if you want me to move in with you. If I try to sell it, I won't be welcome at home any more. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
1/14/18 6:10 p.m.

As always Mazdeuce this was an excellent read, thanks for sharing.

I chuckled at the 2013 post about your kid bringing home a haggard mk5 gti in 2020... That's only 2 years from now, and there are plenty of beat mk5's to be had!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/2/18 3:25 p.m.

I was working in the garage the other day and it occurred to me that I need to get the 911 back on the road, but I don't want to tie up the lift. I'm sick of tying up the lift. Three major things to deal with. Valves need to be adjusted, that's a 1-3 day job for me. CV boots need to be replaced, that should be quick if I can get the nuts loose. And I need to fix the oil leaks. That's leaks, with an S. That'll take a while with the way I work.
I pondered that for a while and came up with the plan to put the car on jack stands to fix the oil leaks. Not quite as convenient as putting it on the lift, but it's out of the way and I can work slowly as I have extra time. Identify all of the o-rings and rubber bits that need to be replaced, order them, clean everything, and put it all back together. So that's what I'm going to do. 

I'm back to making cardboard templates of what screws go where and all labeling and bagging and all of the stuff I usually do. Nothing groundbreaking and unless someone reaaaaaly wants to see an excruciating step by step of pulling apart the oil tubes on a 964, I'm just going to photograph the fun bits, clean a lot, and give an overview of anything interesting I run across. 

The day started with good and bad news. The good news is that the front oil leak that made me decide to stop driving isn't an oil leak! Nope, the front by the wheel well mounted oil cooler is dry as a bone. Nice. The bad news is that all the fluid in front is from the power steering. Poop. 
It is leaking in back. Quite a lot and in quite a few places. Most everything has been coated with oil, sand, more oil, more sand, more oil......and on and on until everything is fuzzy. And looking at this picture on a big screen, slightly blurry too, but I think it gets the point across. 

This project is going to be a lot like the R63 in the "couple hours" way. Spend a couple hours doing something whenever I can. Cleaning. Disassembling and labeling. Hopefully putting back together after I figure out what parts I actually need. Lots of couple of hours to get things back to the way they should be so Mrs. Deuce can drive to work in a car she loves again. That fuzzy bit above is almost clean. Couple of hours. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/3/18 12:05 p.m.

It's amazing how long you can ignore a leak if that leak is right over the muffler. Sure it smells like the car is on fire when you stop, but precious little oil hits the ground. 

I'm pretty sure I need to remove the driver's side exhaust manifold to get at one end of the oil line that has the big leak. Then I need to unscrew it from the case. Not looking forward to either one of those things. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 12:16 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

This is the exact situation with my wrx.  Nothing hits the ground so I ignore the burning smell when i park.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
9/3/18 12:53 p.m.

I really want a 964. Sadly a rough one that will cost you £30,000 to put right is now £40,000.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/13/20 12:03 p.m.

Wheels. 

On. 

I was feeling reeeeealy bad about myself with the car. 4 years off the road? 5? Then I check the dates on the pictures and it's only been 2. Life has been busy. Wheels are on because I'm going to move it to the lift and attempt to actually do the work that it needs. Soon. Promise. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
10/13/20 12:43 p.m.

About time!  If it sits any longer in your garage it may have to sit in mine!

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/20 2:23 p.m.

Yay! PurpleSW would be proud laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
10/13/20 3:00 p.m.

Momentum. It's a thing. 

Of course that means that the car was only on the ground for something like an hour. So we'll see how much momentum their really is. The nuts that were stuck are still stuck. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/20 4:10 p.m.

Your car appreciated while sitting on jackstands! Lmfao one day I'll drive an air-cooled 911 before they get too expensive to breath on laugh

1 ... 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LyjK1QNSHgGyQ8qNSPuF6n3X66vcMSqFAxTtvGWit847hyMT8DLvWLVVKDJtqV5y