1 2 3
de80q
de80q Reader
5/7/20 9:06 a.m.

I may have the greatest neighbors ever!  We are very much alike, and have no problem helping each other out when needed.  He made this for me in his sign shop as a thank you!

de80q
de80q Reader
5/8/20 3:14 a.m.

So I have a question for you guys.  On Sat. I'm going to pick up a fairly "rare" rear muffler for this car.  I personally have only seen a few of them in the states, so that's why I say "rare". I can't find a new pipe from cat to axel, so I have to use the original.  That pipe doesn't seem in completely terrible condition, but the muffler is rotted out.  The question is, should I just weld a pipe in, or should I pick up a resonator of some sort to weld in?

I have done the straight pipe on a 10v, and it wasn't bad at all with no cat, and a stebro rear box.  I know these 20v engines can be kind of pitchy at higher RPM, so not sure how well this recipe would work.  This car will have a cat though, so that will probably change how this works as well.  Any suggestions?

de80q
de80q Reader
5/9/20 3:26 p.m.

So here is what I spent the last 5 hours on the road to go and get!

I picked it up for dirt cheap!  Oh, and it's never been used!  Look at the inside of those tips!

The story I got, was a friend of his was cleaning out a warehouse and found it.  Gave it to him to possibley modify to fit on his Acura!  It has been sitting in his basement for over a year, and posted it on letgo over a month ago.  He didn't respond the first time I sent him a message almost a month ago, but did the other day.  I'm excited now!  This was the kind of find I needed to hopefully motivate me!

de80q
de80q Reader
7/21/20 3:49 a.m.

Well gentlemen...  I think I'm done with this project...  I have no motivation to work on it, and haven't for months...  For those that have been watching, if you are interested in it, shoot me a PM.  I WILL NOT sell any of the parts I have amassed for this car, unless the shell sell without them.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/21/20 8:53 a.m.

Bummer but good to be honest with yourself.  What didn't connect here between you and the project / car? 

I would think, if/when the right buyer is found, there's a good sale in your future when you move it on.

de80q
de80q Reader
7/21/20 9:15 a.m.

I have been working on too many cars lately, and can't even enjoy them, as they aren't mine.  I would love to finish this car, and sell it ready to go, but I have other things I would rather do, most of which involve my family.

Hopefully someone who knows what it is will get it, and finish the work I started.

de80q
de80q Reader
9/3/20 8:32 a.m.

Well, with a few almost insulting offers, I've decided to just push on putting the car back together.  Over the past couple weeks(slow times at work), I've dismantled, cleaned, painted, and rebooted the front CV shafts.

The joints felt good, so I just cleaned them out, and repacked them.  Next will be the front strut housings.

de80q
de80q Reader
9/11/20 4:19 a.m.

Looking at the strut housings, they are pretty rust.  This being a NY car, that wasn't a surprise.  I'm actually a little apprehensive about blasting them.  Has anyone had good luck it either evaporust or maybe even electrolosys?  

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
9/11/20 6:15 a.m.

I used electrolysis on an old rusty shotgun, essentially just out of curiosity, and it worked great!

I suspended the parts in a baking soda and warm water bath, used an old scrap piece of steel as the anode, and ran 12v at 2 amps from a battery charger through the pieces overnight. I bet it would work great on something like strut housings, you just need a big enough container and a big box of baking soda. 

de80q
de80q Reader
9/11/20 7:02 p.m.

Maybe I'll give it a try.  Did it off gass a lot?  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zodzIp81yOY1E02DYN8IyGEF2hUWfFmXmQuz9dmSkC5kiaCJrFUrVTvdNW8R4rOR