ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
4/5/13 3:05 p.m.

Howdy all,

I'm not sure what I'll do with this car. I'll probably just sell/trade it, but I picked it up the other day because the seller needed to sell it quick and I've always had an affinity for the '91 and '92 cars with the skirted rear fenders. I have no explanation for why I do...but I do.

I need to replace or rebuild the alternator. that's the biggest issue.

305 tbi. Interior is rough and heavily smoked-in. The clearcoat on the respary is peeling badly on horizontal surfaces.

It's pretty far from nice...but I figure I can sell it to someone with a set of 20+inch wheels fairly easily as soon as the alternator is fixed.

Or...I could round up a hitch for it, borrow/rent and ozone generator, and have a hoopty-tow-cruiser.

Clem

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/5/13 3:32 p.m.

Be forewarned,those nice half skirts create lift at high speed. At 120+ the rear of the car lifts to the top of the rear shock travel.

Ask me how I know.

But the 305 in that car with the slick aero would knock down 30 on the highway with the cruise set at 70. Hell, the 3.42 rear end 5.7 9C1's would knock down 26-27 at 70+ cruise. Comfy, relatively quick and is just a few suspension pieces from being really fun to drive.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
4/5/13 3:54 p.m.

I am hitting an estate sale tomorrow that has one of these, 140k a little beat up.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
4/5/13 4:15 p.m.

Somebody on here was saying that coffee grounds soak up odours. Could be easier to find than an ozone generator. And there's just something... authentic about coffee in a Caprice.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
4/5/13 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel:

Yes - use some old plastic bowls (old cool whip plastic bowls work good and are disposable). Put a couple of scoops in each bowl, and let them sit in the car for a few days. The grounds will soak up odors and put a coffee smell in the car.

The smoke smell will need a serious power shampoo set on kill with an ozone to follow.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/5/13 7:45 p.m.

RALLY berkeleyING CROSS!!!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
4/6/13 9:33 a.m.

forget the tubs...I'm going to sprinkle it directly on the fabric and carpet. I've already poured one small box of baking soda on it and vacuumed it up (since the photo) after sitting a few days. I'll be doing that a few more times too.

Clem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X40Lz2tpknpqVbso69GDfpyhUtxDR81yl3bCjSrYXH1gLugHgBxEOEQbjXWW3E72