1 2
Cotton PowerDork
8/30/18 8:30 p.m.

Looks like the paint might come back with a good cut and buff....unless the clear is just gone.

PseudoSport Dork
8/31/18 7:59 a.m.

Most of it is single stage but the roof, rear hatch, and the drivers door have some parts where they were resprayed with clear. Plan is to buff it out for now but i'm hoping to have it repainted next year. 


Norma66 Reader
8/31/18 1:00 p.m.

Just be carefull buffing it. I started to buff mine and it opened up a whole can of worms.

java230 UltraDork
8/31/18 1:07 p.m.

I too have always wanted one of these.... 

PseudoSport Dork
9/4/18 8:47 a.m.

Well it took most of the weekend but I got the rear frame blasted, painted, and undercoated. Blasted pics were taken after I ran out of media on day one. Didn't take any more after everything was gone over again. 


The tank straps I ordered ended up being the one above the tank which is fine since the old ones broke while I was removing them. Ordered the bottom ones which should arrive by the weekend. New tank has been painted with the new pump and sender installed so that's ready to go. 

dansxr2 Dork
9/4/18 10:39 p.m.

This will be one of my favorite builds on here. That is all.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
9/6/18 12:28 p.m.


T.J. MegaDork
9/6/18 12:48 p.m.

Somehow in my mind Syclones and Typhoons only came in black similar to Grand Nationals. Learn something new every day and sometimes it doesn't even hurt.

Looking forward to more on this one.

PseudoSport Dork
9/10/18 9:26 a.m.

New tank straps are taking their sweet time to arrive so I finished installing the fuel lines and bolted the tank in with one old strap for now. Cycled the key a few times to build pressure and checked for leaks. Everything looked good so I cranked it over and it fired right up, ran for 15 seconds, then died.  It would then crank but not fire back up or even sputter. Turns out the fuel pump fuse blew so I swamped in a 15a in place of the 10a just so i could continue testing. It started back up but was running extremely rich. Checked pressure and it was 90 psi! Walbro 255 at 90 psi draws about 14 amps so that explains the blown fuse.

To rule out a pinched line or anything else I did I disconnected the return line under the typhoon by the transfer case and no gas came out. I then blew into the hose and could hear bubbles in the tank so that all checked out. Tried cycling the key a few times with the return line open and still didn't see any fuel. Alright well I guess that means the regulator is stuck shut. I happened to buy a stock replacement incase something dumb like this happened so I swapped that out. That only took an hour or in the dark since its in a sucky spot with allen head screws. Finally when I fired it back up I had 38 psi and it revved great. New problem is when I turn it off pressure drops right back to zero. Blah, I must have torn the regulator o-ring while installing it in the dark.  At least I'm getting closer.

While I'm waiting on the tank straps to show up I found some front Bilstein shocks from Amazon Warehouse deals for $35 each and ordered those. They didn't have any deals on the rears so I shopped around for a set of those and ordered them too. 


mblommel Dork
9/10/18 9:46 a.m.

I love this project. 


That is all. Please continue.

Chesterfield New Reader
9/10/18 10:47 a.m.

This is a great build. I have wanted one of these since they came out.

PseudoSport Dork
9/17/18 11:36 a.m.

Fuel tank straps finally arrived and they are the wrong ones. Tried to install them and they are way too short. Vendors keep must keep listing the top ones as the bottom. Decided to give up on trying to get new ones and sandblasted my old crusty ones. 


I gave the straps a few coats of paint and while I was waiting for that to dry I replaced the oring on the fuel pressure regulator. That was way easier to do during the day and pressure holds solid when the truck is off now. With the fuel pressure issues finally sorted out I got the straps install and was finally able to take the truck on a test drive. I let it warm up in my driveway and checked for leaks again and all was good. Backed it out of the driveway and immediately floored it. Hesitation and bog were gone and the truck pulled strong. There is some turbo lag but one boost builds to goes pretty quick. I found my self laughing and wondering who thought this was a good idea. Its a rattly, soft GMC jimmy with poor brakes and a turbo. It's not fast by today's standards since it might edge out a V6 Camry but it's exciting in a "i could see myself dying in this" kinda of way. The front suspension definitely needs some work and the 1-2 shift is like being punched in the face.  So far I like it. 

Since there were still no leaks or any other bad news after the test drive, I stopped for gas then drove it down to Tony's house to help him with his Trans AM.  Ended up putting 40+ miles on it. Even took it to work today.



I still need to get a state inspection sticker on it so I'll have to work on buttoning up some interior I pulled apart and fix the front turn signal lens. After that the next thing i'm doing is brakes. Already started ordering parts to swap on 98+ 4WD Blazer rear discs. For some reason you can get GM brackets fairly cheap from RockAuto. 


Random disc brake info I'll put here before i forget.

98+ Camaro: 

Front caliper 45mm dual piston aluminum, 302mm rotor

Rear caliper 45mm single piston aluminum, 305mm" rotor


98+ S10/Blazer:

Front caliper 46mm dual piston cast, 274mm rotor

Rear caliper 48mm single piston aluminum, 295mm rotor

1 2
Our Preferred Partners