1 ... 6 7 8
Titus
Titus Reader
3/21/16 11:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That trick about resoldering ends is going to come in handy for my CRX sunroof cables. Nice. NA6, NA8 and NB Miatas have different length throttle cables. It might be possible to swap the cable out. Alternately, a new bracket for the cable would also address the problem.

I probably have an NA8 cable around somewhere but didn't think to check if it was different. I considered a new bracket, but that is a lot of work (for someone with as little fabrication experience as me) and wouldn't look great having a bracket sticking off the TB that was as long as would be needed. In the end, I like how this turned out and it wasn't too painful.

NOHOME wrote: Would it be worth pre-tinning the cable end before you put it in the play-dough mold?

It probably wouldn't hurt, but I didn't find it necessary.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/28/16 8:13 a.m.

Hey Titus, a few quick questions I may have overlooked in the thread.

1. What is the height of the new engine from the center-line of the crank to the highest point (crank to installation height?)
  2. What intake are you using? Did you modify the stock J32 or go to the J37 intake that is supposed to be lower (10mm from what I can find) (looks like a J32 but I am just learning about the J series, also I know you are using the modified intake plenum with the throttle body off the side)?
  3. Did you leave the spacer under the intake in? I don't think I saw it in there, but I could have missed it.

Thanks.

Titus
Titus Reader
3/29/16 4:23 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Hey Titus, a few quick questions I may have overlooked in the thread. 1. What is the height of the new engine from the center-line of the crank to the highest point (crank to installation height?) 2. What intake are you using? Did you modify the stock J32 or go to the J37 intake that is supposed to be lower (10mm from what I can find) (looks like a J32 but I am just learning about the J series, also I know you are using the modified intake plenum with the throttle body off the side)? 3. Did you leave the spacer under the intake in? I don't think I saw it in there, but I could have missed it. Thanks.

I haven't taken any measurements like that, but might be able to later.

As for intakes, I have tried 2 different modification variations to the J32A2 intake manifold (details are here). There is no spacer for the J32A2. The J35A4 uses the same intake manifold WITH a spacer for increased torque, but there is no room for it in the Miata build.

I recently picked up an intake from Honda 225 Outboard boat motor and have been playing around with it, as the big Honda marine engines are all J series motors. I am really hoping I can get it to work, as it is made of plastic, so it shaves a bunch of weight off of the top of the motor.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/29/16 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Titus:

I was thinking the same thing with the BF200/225/250 intake. I am looking at crank to top of engine clearance for a different swap idea with a J35A4. I can get the motor complete for $150 from car-parts.com. Not bad.

I think the best thing about the J-series is most of the tuners still shy away from them as there isn't a bunch of people building parts for them.

Oh yeah, you might want to look at the J-sereis thread and check out the 2005 RL cams...Just saying.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/29/16 4:44 p.m.

I was also thinking the BF crank cover plate would be great to make a dry sump kit out of or at the very least a windage tray...

Titus
Titus Reader
3/29/16 5:12 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I was also thinking the BF crank cover plate would be great to make a dry sump kit out of or at the very least a windage tray...

Now that is an interesting idea... I had not thought about that. One guy has put together the CAD drawings for a dry sump pan, but a BF crank case new looks to be around $400, which is a lot cheaper than the estimates he was getting to have his design made.

577nitro
577nitro
3/31/16 8:30 p.m.

Titus, very nice coverage of your build and easy for me (older guy) to understand. I just purchase a 03 Acura J32A2 engine, harness and ECU, so my adventure is just about to start as soon as the WX up here in Colorado get a bit more predictable.. The link I have attached shows how a guy down in OZ cut a area out of the stock oil pan and was able to tuck the starter way up and out of the way for ground clearance. He has made all adopters and mounts himself ..Nice work too

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/joelhartley55/iphone%20j32/IMG_0359.jpg

Titus
Titus Reader
4/1/16 2:22 p.m.
577nitro wrote: Titus, very nice coverage of your build and easy for me (older guy) to understand. I just purchase a 03 Acura J32A2 engine, harness and ECU, so my adventure is just about to start as soon as the WX up here in Colorado get a bit more predictable.. The link I have attached shows how a guy down in OZ cut a area out of the stock oil pan and was able to tuck the starter way up and out of the way for ground clearance. He has made all adopters and mounts himself ..Nice work too http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/joelhartley55/iphone%20j32/IMG_0359.jpg

Thanks! It has been slow going for me, but I am hoping it will be very worth the effort when done. I reviewed that photobucket account a while back and he had some great ideas.

577nitro
577nitro New Reader
4/1/16 9:43 p.m.

I think so too, I will attempt on making my oil pan the same way. I will also mount the engine directly to the subframe and not the transmission as I am really afraid of what may happen under race conditions. I should be able to start the process this month. This will be my second swap. I did a 302 last year, but these make a lot more sense.

lebrian61
lebrian61 New Reader
4/25/16 10:37 p.m.

This is crazy! I have the idea on doing this! I have the engine, harness and the swap kit that you ordered. I believe mine might be a little more updated on the subframe (to what the description says). However I'm still wondering. What throttle body you use? I have an Acura TL with a 3.2 that has an electric throttle. Reason why I haven't started is because I have found a clean body Miata lol.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/1/16 10:55 a.m.

Any updates on this super awesomeness?

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nOuJd2JwTNneYxYWAxk1iFhzQIixKf06iJIqHP1q9Q8B78Si3ObgkC6nrafMgpJz