dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
7/20/12 5:30 p.m.

No Efffin Way.....

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/20/12 11:04 p.m.

Yes way.

The tensioner went bad. Replace that and the idler pulleys while you're in there.

If you want to get fancy, King6Fab makes a manual tensioner that in my opinion should be mandatory for all KLs.

I need a pic of the engine bay. It's probably got a Millenia curved neck intake manifold on it, not running real KLZE electronics.

I have a JE50 vaf you "need." Buy that, a KLZE straight neck intake manifold, and track down a JE50 VAF. (Alternatively, some people find they make more power on the K8 ecu. (I have one of those, too.)

The straight neck intake requires a brake master cylinder reservoir relocation. (Not a big deal, cost you about $20.)

Getting the ZE running the way it was meant to be will give a big chunk of power over running it with a curved neck ECU.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
7/21/12 3:30 a.m.

the guy that has it didn't say anything about pulling the engine, so i'm assuming its included... If not it's still a major score! I'll post pics tomorrow evening when I go to get it.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/21/12 9:02 a.m.

92celica, you are a plethora of odd ball car information.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/21/12 10:27 a.m.

Lol Steve i know. Keeps it interesting and frustrating at the same time.

Dan i meant je50 vaf and kl36 ecu. The K8 ecu works fine as well and some have reported that it run better on it. Running that motor on a kl01 ecu and a millenia intake manifold is silly.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
7/28/12 8:51 a.m.

Yesterday, I finished prepping the Hood, Fenders, and Front Bumper. The plan for today is to have those parts painted soon as I sand the primer down. Pics to follow shortly!

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
7/30/12 8:45 a.m.

Finally the weather has given me a little break and I got some more parts finished.... Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Photobucket

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/30/12 10:07 a.m.

its a cool build, and I really want to, but I just cant like that paint...different strokes for different folks I guess...I do give you big thumbs up for painting it the right way. A little prep in the bodywork goes such a long way!

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 10:18 a.m.

I think you might come around on the paint after it's all back together and sitting right...

He certainly needs to swap bumpers to put it over the top though.

Or find the actual mazdaspeed bumper.

And i need to sack up and find a way to ship him the rare-as-hell 1 piece sideskirts i have for this car so he can purchase them for crack pipe price and put them on his car.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
7/30/12 11:21 a.m.

Here is the frontend and Hood I'm using. Taken before I sprayed them... Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

I really like that Mazdaspeed Front!!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/30/12 11:23 a.m.

BTW if you want clear bumper light/turn signals, they're Miata units.

See if you can track down the two piece OEM front lip... might look a little better than the lip that's on there right now.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/11/12 4:58 p.m.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/11/12 6:42 p.m.

I saw you mentioned Alsacorp- they make some KILLER stuff.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/11/12 8:38 p.m.

I got my paint on sale for $199 for 2 sprayable gal! I haven't used a 1/2 of one yet

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/16/12 11:41 a.m.

About to head to the garage, and hopefully have the doors finished this evening. Yay!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/16/12 11:44 a.m.

keep it going...I like that hood, didnt notice it before.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/16/12 1:18 p.m.

I borrowed it from the KLZE MX-3 I picked up a few weeks ago ;-)

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/16/12 1:25 p.m.

Have I mentioned how good this looks? Because it really does. Only suggestion I can make is to color match the wheel centers to the car.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/16/12 11:02 p.m.

Thanks man! Its lookin pretty decent for something to have been done in a regular old garage. I've had several people say the same thing about the wheels, but I think the "GM Dark Otter Pearl" is just right. It looks Black, but is actually a very high metallic charcoal grey. I almost went to the OE Gold that was on one, but now really glad I didn't! lol If someone can assist in getting the MS DIYPnP up and goin, it should be a RIOT!!!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/12 11:05 p.m.

I think it would look a lot better if the wheels were all one color. Other than that it looks cool.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/21/12 4:42 a.m.

Well I started reassembley and imagine the horror on my face when I back it out into the sun and see this... WTF??? Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

Immediately started to wetsand it and prepare for an overall respray to even out the color. Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

First coat of Black Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

Intermediate Coat Sprayed Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

Clear Coat Finished Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original) Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)

The color variation was caused from not putting enough Intermediate Coat on and the Base Coat showing through. Never been so thankful to have so much extra material!!!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/21/12 7:35 a.m.

glad you got it sorted out - in the right light, it looks pretty good. Definitely looks better without the weird variation. Nice save.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/21/12 8:26 p.m.

Thanks.... I was totally sweatin it ;-)

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/21/12 9:10 p.m.

Looking back at the pics, I almost wonder what it would look like with a flat clear.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
8/21/12 9:23 p.m.

gonna spray the Spoiler & Mirrors Thurs, then yank the engine maybe this weekend ;-) Stupid Rear Main Seal...

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u8adGdSRjG6kmprWqRhzRFzPoC1Zi95tgXi1CAVIaEjhMly7niwMDrKXVn0OEQA3