1 2 3 4 ... 6
1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
11/30/18 6:37 a.m.

In reply to GoLucky :

I’m pretty well locked in to using a 32 or 36 with the flange I’m having a friend make.

If I can’t get reasonable control with that I’ll just add a second gate. But I want to try the single gate first as I’ve been told that you need less gate when it’s on the housing then you would even on a well indexed gate on the manifolds.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/5/19 3:45 p.m.

With the Passat ready for mvi I was able to spend a few hours today on the truck. Downpipe is complete and welded now, I’m going to pick up some sort of flange so I can make it removable before I run a straight stick of pipe back to the rear axle with a turn down.

Also finish welded all the intercooler pipes and gave them a quick dusting of paint.

Picked up a lower rad hose yesterday and it’s tight but does clear everything. Heater core hoses will be the next challenge.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/6/19 2:08 p.m.

'91 gmt400 owner here...are there picks of the manifolds lurking somewhere?  Stance, as is or are you considering 

a mild drop?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/6/19 3:43 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I’d love a mild drip...but drip spindles are money and I’d rather have it running than looking cool.

Manifolds are pretty basic, mild steel weld elbows, a couple t’s and a t4 flange.  This is how it fit in the s10, in the gmt400 there is quite a lot more space.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/6/19 3:55 p.m.

Does the driver side also tie into this?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/6/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yes, there’s a cross over pipe that joins the two. If you look at the second picture in this thread you can see it painted black. It’s pretty basic mild steel exhaust tubing and a small flex joint with the inner braid removed. It bolts to both size with some basic 3 bolt flanges. All pretty basic stuff, no stainless, no v-bands, no extra money where it’s not needed.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/6/19 5:23 p.m.

Oh OK there it is lurking underneath the shiny inter cooler tubing....carry on maestro

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/13/19 3:24 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Oh OK there it is lurking underneath the shiny inter cooler tubing....carry on maestro

Better pic for you.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/13/19 3:30 p.m.

Minor progress today. Being up in Canada I can’t justify not having heat for defogging and you know heat.

But I sort of built myself into a bit of throuble around where my heater core lines come out of the water pump. So I sat back and decided that where the outlet was straight it needed to be a 90*. 

So off come the pump and out came the biggest tap in my collection. I’ll pick up a 90* tomorrow and some new wp gaskets and check heater core lines off the to do list sometime later next week.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/13/19 3:30 p.m.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/13/19 3:31 p.m.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/20/19 2:24 p.m.

Tapped and an 90 threaded in. Didn’t have a barbed fitting so I just threw a nipple in there.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/20/19 2:28 p.m.

I hate wiring, that’s why I forced myself to buy the non terminated harness in order to get some more experience.

The first go on the drivers bank had a definite “explosion at the spaghetti factory” look about it. Still not perfect but with some split loom it should clean up all right.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
2/3/19 3:12 p.m.

A couple more hours today saw the wiring cleaned up a bit more and the coolant lines for the heater core and rad installed. 

Getting a little closer every weekend. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/19 7:30 p.m.

I'm interested.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
2/4/19 9:18 a.m.
1SlowVW said:
759NRNG said:

Better pic for you.

Keep an eye on the piece of flex in your crossover pipe, they have a tendency to collapse over time. A lot of people just run hard piping with no flex for crossover pipes and dont have issues.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
2/4/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

I went back and forth a lot between adding a flex and not. Finally I went with one and removed the inner braiding leaving only the bellows and outer braid.

I have seen people using slip joints with good success.  Time will tell if I made the right choice. It does stress me out a little though.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
2/18/19 3:57 p.m.

No photographic evidence but today I permanently installed the fuel tank and filler neck. Tapped the rear yoke and installed the u joint straps that were just kind finger tight.  Painted the downpipe when I realized I was out of welding gas.

Transmission cooler has also been ordered and should be here mid week!

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/18/19 4:30 p.m.

Following along as I have cheap LS turbo dreams also....

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
2/18/19 6:17 p.m.

For the guys asking about the AC install. I have a 91 1500 with a 4.8 that I installed about 5 years ago. I had to so some serious from notching on the rf corner of the frame to get the factory compressor to work. Holley now has a really nice bracket for the LS. Truck engines that puts the factory R4 compressor in the factory GMT400 location that allowed you to use the factory lines as well and requires no frame modifications. In the next few months I will be using one of them and putting a hair dryer on the drivers side. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
2/20/19 7:58 p.m.

Need to make a brace for the cooler but I do have the hard lines run from the trans up to the inner fender. Should be an easy job to wrap up with some more hose some clamps and a piece of flat stock. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/13/19 4:24 p.m.

I was given the green light yesterday by my eye doctor to do mild things in the garage and in general. This meant that this afternoon I spend 2 hours fiddling with the truck. 

Oil return built for the second time!
Gaskets and proper bolts installed in the cross over. ATF in the trans...battery to dead to take a boost. Tomorrow it will start again.

Picture once again with the grill installed but with the protective cardboard removed from the intercooler. May end up giving it a mild coat of black paint down the road to make it a little more subtle but for not the its big enough some might mistake it for a radiator.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/14/19 3:00 p.m.

Huge success today. Backed out of the garage under its own power. Still lots to do but now it moves!

https://youtu.be/1lF-J-2K_Iw

youtube link of truck idling in the driveway.

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/14/19 3:32 p.m.

Sweet! I want to do cheap LS turbos..... 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/14/19 6:36 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Congrats!  I'm in for the smokey burn out video wink

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0s3HuL4KbbullP8njGSRKrIy2K9BGudxncFU9agKkjgrem8E99IHtnJNNHLnoNbf