1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/17 8:33 p.m.

That was a great write up. Bless you my son, bless you. I hear tell the guys at Fleetwood have articulated arms.

wae
wae Dork
4/25/17 8:52 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

You, sir, are an artist, painting on the canvas of misery that most (if not all) of us have suffered through!

Have you noticed that when a vehicle that fits in the garage needs work, it's a sunny day but as soon as the behemoth that must stay outside needs something... torrential downpour.

java230
java230 SuperDork
4/25/17 11:03 p.m.

Fantastic

Mileage will be far better on the highway....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/26/17 6:05 a.m.

In reply to wae:

Yeah, I had to replace the radiators on both of our "normal" cars in February. When I had time for the Yukon, which doesn't fit in the garage, it was snowing. A few days later, when it was time for the 318ti, it was 60 and sunny.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/26/17 6:25 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Thanks, maybe you and I should go into the service manual business.

Zen and the Art of Fleetwood Service.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
4/26/17 9:32 a.m.

Eight ninety-nine, man. Eight ninety-nine. berkeley laying in water/gravel/mud. I am too old to do that crap at home in my own driveway.

http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-4-pc-61607.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/27/17 6:52 a.m.

Two days to departure

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/27/17 7:10 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Thanks, maybe you and I should go into the service manual business.

After the trip we need to write a disassembly manual. Take it apart. Discuss the finer points of construction and engineering. Be silly. Get a drone to take overhead exploded view pictures of the motorhome all over your property. I'm not entirely sure how this would generate profit, but by God it would be a good time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/27/17 7:21 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Maybe we sell the parts at the end? Like a scrapyard, but with OCD.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/27/17 7:28 a.m.

I'll bring my label maker.

Controlled Explosion: The Dismantling of a Southwind RV.

Now we need a benefactor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/27/17 7:49 a.m.

We're gonna need a BIG white tarp too

wae
wae Dork
4/27/17 8:26 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Ian F wrote:
... Discuss the finer points of construction and engineering...

I'm afraid that discussion might be a bit short. Construction is "slapped together" and engineering is "eh, that mostly fits".

Dirtydog
4/27/17 9:16 a.m.

Have a safe trip. Take plenty of pictures, you'll appreciate it years from now. Pack extra credit cards, for those unexplained hiccups. Enjoy.

Dirtydog
4/27/17 9:18 a.m.

I know very little about auto x. But after your trip, how would a small building handle on the road course?

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
4/27/17 9:31 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: That was the best thing I've ever read. Bravo.

I would second that!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/27/17 9:43 a.m.
Say the traditional Haynes manual prayer "installation is the reverse of removal"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/27/17 10:20 a.m.

To everyone making excellent suggestions of what to do when we return, I'll just quote mazdeuce:

mazdeuce wrote: Now we need a benefactor.

Literally the only thing stopping me from doing infinite dumb stuff is the lack of an infinite money cheat. If we get back and find out somebody wants to fund it, I'll drive this thing to COTA, wheelie the main straight, do some hotlaps, disassemble it and write a collaborative manual with any GRMer who wants to attend, then put it back together with some solid rocket boosters and Kerbal Space Program this bitch into orbit... there's just that tiny little funding issue standing in the way

java230
java230 SuperDork
4/27/17 10:21 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

How much can the GRM hive come up with?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/27/17 10:30 a.m.

In reply to java230:

Can we maybe just get Elon Musk and some of his SpaceX bros really stoned and watch Spaceballs?

"Guys I just need a couple of engines, they don't even have to be good ones! What did you do with the ones that fell off the barge? While we're at it, what about that rally Tesla I asked you about?"

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
4/27/17 11:43 a.m.

This thread, specifically the latter half of page 5 and onward, is the reason I shouldn't peek at this forum while at work. Too many "snerk"s, a couple outright loud laughs and resultant prairie-dogging from the cubicles...

"Scrapyard, but with OCD". That required draining a keyboard.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
4/27/17 12:12 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to java230: Can we maybe just get Elon Musk and some of his SpaceX bros really stoned and watch Spaceballs? "Guys I just need a couple of engines, they don't even have to be good ones! What did you do with the ones that fell off the barge? While we're at it, what about that rally Tesla I asked you about?"

I'd take vacation time and donate money, just for the opportunity to shove a Merlin D up the backside of a motorhome, then watch as someone lit the fuse and sent it rocketing across a high desert dry lake.

Good times indeed.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
4/27/17 1:32 p.m.

We have a 1987 Pace Arrow, going on 11 years. The trips from Southern California "to" include Flagstaff, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Buttonwillow and Lone Pine. We use it monthly to attend local SCCA Solo2 events and is likely the only reason I can get my wife to join me at these events.

My .02 cents; drink lots of water, stop every 90 minutes or so, remember anything you set on the engine cover is going to get at least warm, driving over 55 is a profound waist of gas and have fun. We wave at people that use us as a mobile chicane. They do not know how to take it.

And we run the generator, on the road, to power the front overhead AC unit. That way the microwave is ready to use anytime. Plus it keeps the load off the engine.

David

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/27/17 7:39 p.m.

Clothes and food are packed, bike is on the hitch carrier, and the park cable is plugged in to top up the batteries and keep the fridge cold. I tested lights and signals and that sort of stuff, and was rewarded with a popped fuse when I turned the hazards on- looks like the flasher relay kicked the bucket, I'll have to pick one up tomorrow. T minus 36 hours!

java230
java230 SuperDork
4/27/17 8:43 p.m.

Awesome! You guys will have a blast I'm sure!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/27/17 11:04 p.m.

Just noticed this now. Glad I'm not too late. The best part of all is how ready for adventure that every being that's travelling is. You guys have a genuine balance in your life and that's something awesome :) can't wait to hear about the trip. Good luck!

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPbxoeWAcPwZcOnwULf4aRp1Y9ukZfSONTYJakSapVU9hSM4U4SSiebdNrVEGYEb