1 2 3
peter
peter HalfDork
5/29/13 11:04 p.m.

Resurrecting this thread, as there are some significant updates, and the thread comes up awfully quickly when you Google "miata vvt swap".

The car now runs, and for the small area I've tuned (<4k rpm), runs well. I haven't gotten the over-run tuned at all yet, VVT isn't enabled, and the idle still hunts a smidge, but overall, success.

There's not much mechanically to update on: I reused my 94 intake tube, with the GM IAT sensor stuffed into the old IAC tube connection. I believe Keith wrote about using this location during his Targa build, way back when that car was a 4-cylinder. I cobbled together a connection between the 2.5" (more or less) intake tube and the 3" (more or so) Prelude filter I've been using. I also sourced a 2001 throttle cable and fixed that issue. Other than that and an EGR block-off, everything else is off the 94.

I had a one minor wiring mistake, plus one bad connection, and one mis-adjusted resistor. I believe the car actually fired on the first try, but I was too busy worrying about other things to pay attention.

Here is the description of the modifications I had to make in the engine bay.

The "sensor" column is mislabeled, it should be just "object". Whatever.

The coloring only applies to my particular combination of engine and chassis, you'll have to do your own work in linking my names to your harnesses.

As I said earlier, the "Pressure Regulator Control Valve" is the odd doohickey that sits in the valley between the intake manifold and the head on the 94. I believe it has something to do with fuel pressure and vapor lock? Anyhow, it's quite obviously perfectly placed to be used for the VVT solenoid.

And here is the wiring at the MegaSquirt. This is almost completely in line with what Frank recommends on his WestfieldMX5 page.

I believe I may have reversed the two fans. I'll have to check my work and update.

The car ran great immediately, but refused to rev over 2250/2500rpm. It sounded bad when I eased up there, yet my wideband wasn't showing lean. To cut a long story short, I used the MegaSquirt's logging capabilities and noticed that I was losing synch there. Then I watched the "sync loss counter" on MegaLogViewer, saw it incrementing, and saw the "sync reason" value point to loss of cam signal. After some fiddling, I checked the voltage of the pull-up (I think that's what it is) on the cam line and discovered it was out of spec. This is R11 trimpot on the MS3X board. It's supposed to give a value of between 2.5 and 3v at a specific pad, and I had dialed this in on the bench, but the value when attached to the car was 5v! With that, no more sync loss and I can rev!

The LC-1 wideband was another issue. Though the instructions say (counterintuitively) that the power and signal grounds from the LC-1 should be attached at the same place, this is not what worked for me. I got all sorts of noise on my TPS and CLT measurements (though oddly enough, not on the IAT) when I had the LC-1 wired like that. What has worked now was to wire the damn thing in a sensible manner, using the stock O2 sensor connector. The coloring is problematic, as there are two black wires on that connector, but it's possible. Sensor ground to sensor ground, heater ground to heater ground, done. Ignore Innovate's instructions. I could explain how in reality the sensor is actually grounded at the same place as the heater, but this post is long enough already!

Where does that leave us?

Street tuning. I've had a devil of a time finding good basemaps for a NA VVT engine. I finally settled on one and found that I was regularly going into the 17:1 AFR range while tuning. Not liking this, I asked around here for advice, then settled on a tuning method that leaves me on the rich side of the equation as things are tuned. This place is great.

VVT was definitely throwing me off, you'll find my post at the end of the thread above describing how I should have approached setting those values. I'll get around to that next time I'm out at the garage.

peter
peter HalfDork
5/29/13 11:08 p.m.

Also worth noting - I did all of my driving around this weekend with the hood off. Not only does this attract a lot of attention, but it makes the car much, much noisier. In doing the odd constant-load driving that VE Analyze Live requires, I was very conscious of the impact on other people's quiet, peaceful weekends.

At least it's not a Harley (of which there were plenty running around).

TheeMike
TheeMike
4/2/14 7:10 a.m.

I am currently doing the same thing... an 03 engine in a 93... Loved your spreadsheet as they are a good bit of help to me. Thanks for the writeup.

Mike

k20a
k20a
5/25/14 9:27 p.m.

Did you end up using those quick connects for the fuel rail?? Any pics?

Btw, none of your pictures work anymore! =[

peter
peter Dork
5/25/14 11:30 p.m.
k20a wrote: Did you end up using those quick connects for the fuel rail?? Any pics? Btw, none of your pictures work anymore! =[

I ended up using the silver part on page 2, (Dorman 800-120). So far, so good.

I'll look into the picture issue when I get back to the homestead tomorrow, not sure why some are missing. I see pictures starting about 1/2 way down pp2 and going to this page.

k20a
k20a New Reader
5/26/14 12:32 a.m.

Im currently swapping a 01 jdm vvt into a 95 miata. It doesn't seem to have the fuel rail fitment problem with the jdm manifold.

Does it make a difference whether the fpr nipple is up or down?

peter
peter Dork
5/26/14 4:03 p.m.
k20a wrote: Im currently swapping a 01 jdm vvt into a 95 miata. It doesn't seem to have the fuel rail fitment problem with the jdm manifold.

Nice to know! That's the 'square top' intake manifold, right?

Does it make a difference whether the fpr nipple is up or down?

I sure hope not! I'm sure someone can imagine a situation in which it might be important, but pressurized fuel and vacuum shouldn't really care too much about gravity, right? At least that's my thinking...

k20a
k20a New Reader
5/30/14 2:36 p.m.

Sorry Peter, but I've got a few more questions.

After you wired in the vvt signal on the solenoid side, do you cut the wire from the ecu harness side and connect it to the VVT SIGNAL pinout on the ms3?

Or did you just run a seperate wire from solenoid to MS3 ECU PINout?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M2TiPvHJFdvARajvR7FZzSHtbsKUKEDXVX4qUOFQabUqBxhous9xUbc4AkxXSTn6