1 2 3 4 5
KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
7/18/17 3:28 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote:
KevinGale wrote:
drivendaily wrote: I still can't imagine how you guys pilot those things up the hills. Every run sounds like you're trying to tame a monster the whole way up. I'm glad you have a build thread now, Luke!
It's just like this. The bull is my car and that is me after I make a mistake.
So you feel like the guy in the red shirt with his arm up a bull's arse?

I was a fraction of a second late with the update saying I was the guy getting stomped on. :-)

Maybe this bull had a reason to be angry.

I feel like I am hijacking Luke's thread here. lol

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
7/18/17 6:41 p.m.

Its alright, its free bumps

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/4/17 2:32 p.m.

I finally drained some coolant from my block after racing Mt. Washington. I purposely did not check it at the race as I had too many other things to think about without worrying about my coolant. I am pleased to report that (althought dirty) the coolant had no signs of oil. That means the Mighty 318 will live on in its current form. As much as I would like more HP a new engine build isnt really in the budget right now.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/4/17 2:40 p.m.

But since were dreaming about more power This is the engine I really want

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/5/17 10:25 a.m.

C392, just watched the MT.W video....major puckerfactor at the top with the hoosiers skating on gravel... eh? Yu and KG and Butchster must make all the 'little' cars cringe when y'all roll in .....love it!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/5/17 10:28 a.m.

Is this course Jefferson Notch rd. ?

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/5/17 12:01 p.m.
Challenger392 wrote: But since were dreaming about more power This is the engine I really want

Nice to dream. I'm dreaming of an all aluminum chevy smallblock.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/5/17 2:45 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

That whole mountain is major pucker factor. The dirt was almost a little relaxing for me as I knew I was going to be dead slow with the balloon tires, so I wasn't pushing as hard as I did on the paved section. Video really doesn't do the mountain justice. If you ever have a chance, the auto road is open to the public and is quite the experience even at 15mph. Many vacationers drive up and have to be driven down by the mountain staff because they panic.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/6/17 9:16 a.m.

That 318 sound sooo good!

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/6/17 12:22 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: That 318 sound sooo good!

Thanks! although I cant take credit really. The engine was built before I bought the car. But I do love the way it screams, the limiter is currently set to 7500 rpm

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/6/17 12:28 p.m.
KevinGale wrote:
Challenger392 wrote: But since were dreaming about more power This is the engine I really want

Unfortunately the hard part of swapping in a Gen 3 hemi would be getting a bell housing that would adapt to a muncie/ jericho setup and be able to go dry sump. About every adapter I find for the Hemi is for an Automatic. I guess Hot rod/ muscle car/ drag race guys don't like to have to shift themselves.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/6/17 1:02 p.m.

Hey, Loose Cannon found a bell housing from Quick-Time (SFI approved) to mate his FWD Buick LHU to a Borg Warner T-10 in his EMod MGB.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/6/17 1:39 p.m.

Quick time does make a Gen 3 Hemi - Muncie bell housing, but its not designed around Dry sump. I'd have to cut off the bottom 3rd of it.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/6/17 1:41 p.m.

Hoonigan did a pretty awesome video about their expirience at Mt. Washington. It is worth watchign if you have 20 minutes. The Mod even makes a few appearances https://www.youtube.com/embed/2ftRUY1M-yw

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/7/17 8:01 a.m.

Sorry I'm having difficulty visualizing a bell housing interfering with a dry sump pan......

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/8/17 9:05 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

The issue is that in stock form the bell housing hangs down as low as the stock oil pan. If you want to go dry sump for the sake of lowering the engine in the chassis, you also have to use a bell housing that matches the height of the dry sump pan.

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
8/9/17 1:07 p.m.
Challenger392 wrote:
KevinGale wrote:
Unfortunately the hard part of swapping in a Gen 3 hemi would be getting a bell housing that would adapt to a muncie/ jericho setup and be able to go dry sump. About every adapter I find for the Hemi is for an Automatic. I guess Hot rod/ muscle car/ drag race guys don't like to have to shift themselves.

I think the frustrating thing about being a Mopar guy is that I run into stuff like this all the time. There are Chevy parts that bolt together to do whatever you want but try to run a Mopar and you either need special adapters or have to custom build something. You have probably done more research on this than me so forgive me if I am off base, but what I have seen is the Hemi and Smallblock Mopar use the same bellhousing, as does the V10. There might be Viper stuff that mounts lower, but then you might be tied to a Tremec transmission.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/10/17 7:43 p.m.

In reply to MGS10:

Anything can be had for the right money, Gen 3 Hemi is indeed the same as sb mopar and viper. It looks like quarter master does make a bell housing for sb mopar. But i havent found where I can actually buy one yet. It doesnt help that my budget really only fits used/ scavenged parts.

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
8/12/17 10:18 a.m.
Challenger392 wrote: In reply to MGS10: Anything can be had for the right money, Gen 3 Hemi is indeed the same as sb mopar and viper. It looks like quarter master does make a bell housing for sb mopar. But i havent found where I can actually buy one yet. It doesnt help that my budget really only fits used/ scavenged parts.

Is this what your talking about?

http://www.quartermasterusa.com/qm/ford-pro-series-7-25-2-disc-1-5-32-x-26-aluminum-bellhousing-kit-race-release-bearing-17431html/

Some seriously cool parts, but around 1800 for a clutch, flywheel and bellhousing would be tough to swallow. This is why even though I love mopars I have been using Chevy parts recently, finding used ones is easy and new they are a lot cheaper.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/12/17 12:38 p.m.

In reply to MGS10:

Yup that would do it. Your interneting skills are superior to mine. The price is an issue considering its 1/4 of what I paid for my complete car..... and that doesn't include the donor engine, flywheel, exhaust, ECM, Oil pan, Dry sump pump, oil tank, etc. etc. etc.

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
8/12/17 7:06 p.m.
Challenger392 wrote: In reply to MGS10: Yup that would do it. Your interneting skills are superior to mine. The price is an issue considering its 1/4 of what I paid for my complete car..... and that doesn't include the donor engine, flywheel, exhaust, ECM, Oil pan, Dry sump pump, oil tank, etc. etc. etc.

In addition to all the $2 fasteners/connectors and fluids that end up costing as much as the bigger parts. Those light flywheels would be cool though and the powerbands of newer generations of V8s are so wide. I have one of those 380hp 360 Magnum Crates that were so hot in the 90s and a 2006 Ram with a stock Hemi and there is no comparison.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/13/17 6:08 a.m.

In reply to MGS10:

I have a 392 in my 2012 challenger, every time I drive the race car with its cammy small block I imagine what it would be like with the nice smooth wide power curve of a modern hemi.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
8/13/17 4:37 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: Sorry I'm having difficulty visualizing a bell housing interfering with a dry sump pan......

Not the pan. It interferes with the ground. :-)

With a dry sump setup the oil pan is just barely deep enough to clear the crank. Once you have that the natural thing to do on a pure race car is to lower the motor to the point where it is just above the frame rails. That places the heavy engine and tranmission as low as possible.

On my car the bottom of the oil pan is about 4-4.5" above the road surface. With the motor that low the standard bell housing would probably be dragging on the ground or pretty close to it. I have seem people just cut off the bottom but that leads to the next problem. The standard 153 tooth flywheel is also too big and will suddenly become the lowest thing on the car. Not something you want to hit on a bump. To fix that there is a 104 or 105 tooth flywheel that is used for Chevy dry sump setups.

So a dry sump allows the motor and transmission to be lower in the car which improves handling. It also gets rid of the oil starvation issues that everyone has with a wet sump. Pretty much everyone going fast with a wet sump V8 motor has those periods where the low oil pressure light comes on during a run. Not good for engine life. There are lots of band-aids for the problem but a dry sump setup is the cure.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/13/17 5:09 p.m.

KG and C392 I wasn't going to get into a pi$$in contest with this....I kinda know the dynamics of pieces versus pavement. KG thank you for sharing this ....I was hoping that the voice of experience would speak and we'd all be the better for it.....oh and you two knuckleheads ROCK!!!! and butchster too

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
8/18/17 6:28 a.m.

759, no problem. If you are ever in the New England area (not sure where you reside) We'd love to have you at one of our hill climbs. The racing is good, the people are exceptional.

Kevin, thank you for putting it in clearer terms than I seem to be able to.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zo0l9EC4eYQAbprte3O2hYtHexl5Fw0iWd2Sp5IH1OGiw4gpjXN1ZwBWTJxykaav