1 2 3 4
Mr_Merkur
Mr_Merkur New Reader
2/8/20 11:30 a.m.

Nice looking build you've got going on here!

Following to see what tips and tricks I can pick up. I grabbed an '01 convertible last year; my first "newer" Mustang, and there's a lot about these I'm discovering the hard way. Looking forward to seeing more on your build.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/10/20 7:52 a.m.

Dropped the tank. Found out the pump had been replaced with one of those Airtex drop in assemblies which are prone to failure. Makes sense. Dropped in a new Walbro 255 high pressure pump. No pics of the new one. Got busy installing it with new strainer and o rings. 

Cleaning the tank area and shield now. 

Pic of the old pump

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/10/20 8:00 a.m.

If you are still rocking an original filler neck to tank seal, its wise to replace it proactively while you have it out. The original is not Ethanol rated and degrades resulting in a leak. I had to do the one on my '97 as it was dripping gas and its right next to the tailpipe. Actually cost me some autocross runs when I first noticed it. 

The part you get from ford now as a replacement has been updated and is rated for ethanol. I want to say its only about $10, and well worth doing.

bonylad
2/10/20 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Merkur :

Thank you sir!

bonylad
2/10/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

You refer to the one that goes in the side of the tank right?  Sound advice! 

bonylad
2/10/20 11:14 a.m.

OMG....I painted over some dirt on the tank straps.........please pray for me. I dont want to have to strip them and redo them...........

.............but I probably will.

bonylad
2/12/20 6:12 p.m.

.....and I did

bonylad
2/14/20 11:06 a.m.

All back together and initial checks look like my pressure is where it needs be.  Gonna finish up the filler neck and should be done!  

bonylad
2/16/20 1:09 p.m.

Seems all is well now. Will drive her to work tomorrow. After that it's fit the hood and bumper and then body work!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/20 7:27 p.m.

Looking good.

bonylad
2/21/20 9:17 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Thanks Anthony!

bonylad
2/22/20 2:09 p.m.

Test fitting the bumper. Using quick releases on each corner. Each one holds 150lbs supposedly. I tried to pull them apart once locked and couldn't unless I wanted to break it. Had to adjust them. Also the pics show the install but the bumper isn't fitted. It's just slotted in and on the quick connects. Enjoy. 

No pics but I pulled the rear shelf to clean it and remove the speakers in the deck lid. 

bonylad
2/23/20 2:23 p.m.

Still need to fully attach the bumper and fit the wheel liners. After that idk. Drive it awhile and enjoy it. I plan on flushing the trans and doin the j mod to the lazy AODE. May pick up some 24 lb injectors and a larger MAF. 

Stay toooooooned. 

bonylad
2/24/20 11:23 a.m.

Figured I'd do the same for the top clips. 

bonylad
3/5/20 11:52 a.m.

Car is back together. Need to fit the fender liners and thats that.  Picked up 12 qts of Mercon V to flush it with, also a US Shift shift kit. Will do all that trans wise in the new house.......thats right we sold ours!  Still looking and haggling but looks like were getting an upgrade!

Here she is together getting rinsed off in the rain.........

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/5/20 4:36 p.m.

Were did you find those quick connects? Those look trick and may be a better option for the under side mounting of my bumper than the single use push in christmas trees.

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/20 6:42 a.m.
DjGreggieP said:

Were did you find those quick connects? Those look trick and may be a better option for the under side mounting of my bumper than the single use push in christmas trees.

Ebay. 

Locks

Very solid. Up to 150 lbs of force to seperate them.....from what I read. I gave them a heavy pull and couldnt pull them apart once latched. 6 ft 265 lb here so they are pretty strong. Hope that helps!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/20 7:18 a.m.

They work quite well, they do not Hold up to snow and salt well tho. 

bonylad
3/6/20 7:27 a.m.
Professor_Brap said:

They work quite well, they do not Hold up to snow and salt well tho. 

Thankfully none of that here!  

bonylad
3/18/20 7:01 a.m.

Small update.  Had a spark knock issue. Asked around and found a couple things amiss. Had to regap the spark plugs, also replaced the balancer. Apparently its common for them to slip and cause erratic timing. Replaced it and drove it today. Drives great!  Then got in touch with a tuner who made a chip for me!  Havent installed that yet until I confirm the mechanical bits are right. Cant tune a turd.......

Either way, will drive the next couple days and make sure its happy then put the chip in.  Will update.

Also sold the house, closing is the 20th - and the house we put an offer on was accepted! Got a low rate and pushing paperwork now!  Larger garage for more shenanigans!

bonylad
3/26/20 7:20 a.m.

Car is for sale or trade.  Throwing it out there.  I want to keep it but if I want another project wife says I have to get rid of it.  

Sigh.......

In the interim I have to install the new MSD coil and relocation bracket and the new MSD wires.  Car is now chipped and runs great!  I deleted power steering cause Im stupid.  

bonylad
3/28/20 11:08 a.m.

Trans mount was gone. It was there but had no rubber. Replaced all with solid units. Also deleted the power steering. Relocated the coil. Redid the intake. New wires and coil. 

Pardon the messiness. Gotta clean it up. 

bonylad
4/5/20 8:48 a.m.

Correctly mounted the coil. 

Also installed the power steering delete. It's leaking. Smh

bonylad
4/19/20 6:14 a.m.

With a heavy heart I must let y'all know she is sold. I had plans to either turbo it or something else but I had my eye on a Volvo 850R. Unfortunately it was sold about a hour before I had the funds my wife wanted me to use to get the Volvo. Yeah. Low mileage clean no rust local too. Truelly sucks. 

Sold to a gentleman who drove almost two hours with a friend and he scooped it up. In true GRM fashion I loaded him up with all the extra parts and sold it less than asking. I did so because he was the best buyer you could want. Up front and honest. I did my best to describe the car and he enjoyed the test drive. So off to a new home she went. 

New owner leaving. 

Thanks Austin for coming down and getting the car. Good to see buyers like you and I hope you enjoy her. 

Thanks to all the people here in this thread and GRM in all. I'll be back with another build soon. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AMug5kNPRanB0OEOAea2A1EUY7s1FIq1qej8MBSiXgbLZBCcAA5YkzQqasUJgwvu