1 ... 8 9 10 11 12
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/12/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Thought about it, but not sure I want to haul a surge-braked trailer of dubious maintenance through the mountains.  If it was a shorter trip, I'd be less concerned.

wae
wae UltraDork
10/12/20 8:29 a.m.

If you're worried about the trans or the drive down, I got the new(er) spare mounted last night and got a couple coats of primer on the other two wheels so the tires will be ready to go back on the trailer as early as tomorrow night if you want to give it another shot.  It'll definitely fit and since the body curves in so much, a bit of 2x6 under the contact patch of each tire will raise it up enough to give it more clearance against the rails for the ride without raising it up enough to upset the overall balance of the trailer.

Entirely up to you.  There is zero doubt in my mind that I can make it work if it's what you want to do.  On the other hand, it would cost me less than half as much to drive the Miata down.  So, whatever you want to do is absolutely fine with me.  Just remember our motto here at Toiletbird Industries, Logistics Division:  Whatever it is, I'll put your thing in my B.U.T.T.

On a paint-related note, I got pulled into a couple things around the house yesterday and then had a PT Cruiser that needed its heater core unclogged.  But any day this week except tonight is good to get the door finished up.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/12/20 8:57 a.m.

Pretty much whenever you want to work on it this week is good with me.  I might get stuck working late, but it’s not like you need me hovering over you.

I think I want to take it on another extended drive before I consider trailering it.  If I’m still terribly worried at that point, I’ll reconsider trying to drive onto the trailer.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/12/20 1:33 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Just thinking, whenever you come over to do paint work, you should take it for a drive, both to see what you think of the transmission, and more importantly, so the first time you take for a spin won’t be on the autox course in Gainesville.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/14/20 9:36 a.m.

Had some more paint burn through issues last night - I think it was a combination of thin paint, and a very slightly warped panel where the inner door skin was spot welded to the outer skin.

Grabbed another can of black spray paint this morning, and will build it all up for a final detailing over the weekend.  Since I no longer have to worry about the nitrous impacting the budget, I grabbed some silver paint, too, and will try to clean up the wheels a bit and rattlecan them.  They won't look good close up, but should be a lot better than they currently are.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/14/20 12:30 p.m.

Pulled all four wheels and cleaned them on my lunch break.  Will try to paint them this evening.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/14/20 5:28 p.m.

Scraped loose clearcoat and cleaned the wheels at lunchtime:

This evening took a break from work, and started painting them in the backyard, using the index card trick for masking.  Tip:  Don't use index cards when you are outside and the wind starts gusting.  Had to constantly readjust them, and had to chase a few that flew off.  But, time is a bit short right now.

Ran into another problem after putting the first coat on.  Despite trying to scrape the loose clear off at lunchtime, the rustoleum started reacting with some of the damaged clearcoat and lifting it.  I had to scrape it off, and keep going at this point, no time to media blast and refinish them. 

Here's one of the wheels drying in my garage:

Looks better than it did, and should be alright in action shots.  We'll have to see how well the paint sticks.  I only used 1.5 cans, so I can bring some spare to touch them up in Florida if they get really bad.  I'm kind of hoping it holds together for the next week and a half, though. After that, I don't think I'll care over the winter.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/15/20 5:40 p.m.

Threw five coats of paint on the door, with the requisite few minutes of time between coats to allow it to flash.  However, getting some crinkling in a rectangular spot:

Hopefully that can be detailed out, as there's really no time left for multiple rounds of paint and detail work anymore, especially as we are hitting colder/wetter weather, and I still need to get some more miles on the car to make sure everything seems solid.

Prior budget:  $1647.18

$14.57 - one can of black paint, two cans of silver paint

Current Budget:  $1661.75

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/15/20 5:48 p.m.

Oh no. I get that crinkling from Rustoleum paint on my model cars. Especially on 2nd and 3rd coats. Today I got it putting a different brand OVER Rustoleum in hopes of avoiding it after sanding down the previous crinkling. Pretty much sanding it down is the only way I know how to get rid of it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/15/20 5:54 p.m.
slowbird said:

Oh no. I get that crinkling from Rustoleum paint on my model cars. Especially on 2nd and 3rd coats. Today I got it putting a different brand OVER Rustoleum in hopes of avoiding it after sanding down the previous crinkling. Pretty much sanding it down is the only way I know how to get rid of it.

I am hoping there is enough black paint under it that we'll get by.  If not, and it burns through again, berkeley it, I am spot spraying any burned through areas and leaving it as is.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/20 6:11 p.m.

Going to be nice to see you again next week.  Plus I want to see this one in person.  I thought serveral times about contacting Curtis about it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/20 6:29 p.m.

HOW HAVE I NOT FOUND THIS THREAD UNTIL TODAY????

Tim, I'm glad you reached out to me via email with some questions.  Had I known this thread was here I would have been all over it.  Going back to read the whole thing.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/15/20 6:31 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Going to be nice to see you again next week.  Plus I want to see this one in person.  I thought serveral times about contacting Curtis about it.

Yeah, can't wait to get done with work and on the road next week.  It'll be good to see you and everyone else after being holed up most of the year.  As for the Impala, I'll have the title with me in case any trades I can't turn down show up, but otherwise, it'll be my fun car whille the S10 is under the knife.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/15/20 6:31 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

HOW HAVE I NOT FOUND THIS THREAD UNTIL TODAY????

Tim, I'm glad you reached out to me via email with some questions.  Had I known this thread was here I would have been all over it.  Going back to read the whole thing.

I kind of wondered why you hadn't said anything, I was worried I'd pissed you off laugh

10/15/20 6:36 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

Man that audio wiring. That must have had some woofers in the trunk

Coming along nicely. I have a really bad idea for it's challenge livery

How about John Daly Player Special?

Twin high excursion 10" mounted in 12" PVC sched 40 pipe, sealed, with 1800w.

I had to glue the rear view mirror back on twice.

10/15/20 7:01 p.m.

Had I known it would be THIS much work, I would have sold it to you for $1499 instead of $1500. :)

You haven't pissed me off, you've impressed the crap out of me.  I'll be proud to put my butt in that seat again.

We had talked via email about the rear axle, but I honestly wouldn't worry a lick about it.  The factory 3.08s whined, and when I put the 4.10s and Torsen-style diff in it, it still whined.  We made it better by revisiting the shims which suggests to me it's a backlash thing, but it has 30k-ish on that setup and it hasn't changed a lick in that time.  All new name-brand bearings at the time.  Knowing me I probably did Spicer bearings, or whatever was the good stuff because I got wholesale pricing through the shop.

You think the belt was the squeak?  I always assumed it was the tensioner, so I replaced it and it didn't fix it.  A/C compressor?  It's relatively new, mileage-wise but it was a RA kit.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/15/20 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Yup, belt did the trick with the squeak.  I was surprised, too.  I’m used to a more constant squealing noise when a belt goes bad.  My best guess is still that one of the accessories had a bit more resistance, and some small section of the belt had lower friction, and when they met it would squeak.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/20 9:35 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That looks like the same problem I had with the Rustoleum on the Rampage... :/

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/18/20 4:10 p.m.

So progress over the weekend:

1. Pulled the nitrous line.  Maybe next year.
  2. Got the wheels back on the car, and took it for another short drive.  It's not perfect, but it's going to FL as-is.
  3. wae stopped over, and worked his magic on the door and fender, and it is way better than it was before.  Also hit some of the car with rubbing compound, but there is only so much that can be done with the paint in the shape it is in.
  4. I washed and waxed the car, and did a very quick vacuuming of the interior.  The interior is not getting a full detailing, but since we are just taking the 12 points in concours, I'm not worried.
  5. Touched up a few bad spots in the paint, that were much more obvious outside versus in the garage.
  6. Reinstalled the lower door and fender trim, and the wheel arch trim.  The arch trim was a bit difficult as it was bent pretty bad.  I stuck with it though, as the Caprice trim appears to be a different design, so even if I painted it black, it would look out of place.

Took it out to take pictures for the build book, and snapped this shot.  Door guard still needs to be installed, but it is colder than the recommended temp for the trim tape, so I will just haul it to Florida and maybe install it in the hotel lot.  I don't want to risk it flying off on the highway somewhere in the next few days.

Budget worksheet is almost done, and I need to write up the build book.  I'm going to run out tomorrow morning and get a color print of one of the pictures I took, and stop in at a locksmith and see if I can get a spare set of keys cut, just in case.  I know one that will probably stock the resistor keys.  Planning on leaving tomorrow in the afternoon or evening.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
10/18/20 4:17 p.m.

Nice job, looks great!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/18/20 4:19 p.m.

One more picture:

wae
wae UberDork
10/18/20 4:31 p.m.

It looks the same in the picture, but is the color difference between the front and rear door as obvious in daylight?  I'm thinking that the florescent light that we were working under last night was affecting it pretty heavily.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/18/20 4:34 p.m.

In reply to wae :

It's not as obvious, but you can definitely tell.

10/18/20 7:05 p.m.

Is it ok if I'm crying a little bit?  That car hasn't looked that loved for 10 years.

I'm so glad you bought it.  Even if you trade it for a case of beer after the challenge, it got the love it needed.  GO TEAM LO-PREP!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/18/20 7:11 p.m.

I like it!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7EljOJ2HER3SqgDWhcVvZCv29VEwEfSA4ojJa1WzHNw72GyZYqrJn9IoGnoQxBUR