1 2
Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/22/13 6:11 a.m.

My new DD a 1997 Celica GT-FOUR 70k miles on it, its not perfect its got a few dings and a spot on the door and factory fog lights are missing but at least the dealer ship agreed to get it repainted and do the timing belt before i take delivery next week. It's all stock with the exception of the apexi 3 inch exhaust

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/22/13 6:14 a.m.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/22/13 6:15 a.m.

I threw a set wheels on the car to add a little flavor, What do you guys think?

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/22/13 6:17 a.m.

So i picked up a few upgrades for the gt4 today -wrc wing -wrc hood spoiler -hks bov(needs a polish) -sard intake(needs a good cleaning)

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
7/22/13 8:08 a.m.

woot! ST205!!

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
7/22/13 8:37 a.m.

Those are awesome, I wish we got them in the US.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
7/22/13 10:17 a.m.

Nice! Where are you located?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
7/22/13 12:15 p.m.

I love me some GT-FOUR.

You sure that's an HKS SQV? I've never seen one that looked like that?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/22/13 12:18 p.m.
Caleb wrote:

Twin Entry?!? Kinky...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
7/22/13 12:41 p.m.
RossD wrote:
Caleb wrote:
Twin Entry?!? Kinky...

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/22/13 12:51 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I love me some GT-FOUR. You sure that's an HKS SQV? I've never seen one that looked like that?

Yeah, that's an OLD HKS unit. Might very well pre-date the car, actually. It's an SQV, not an SSQV.

That was one of their first (if not the first) models to use that style flange. Earlier ones used the two-bolt flange that Greddy adopted later (read: stole).

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
7/22/13 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

twin scroll turbo mayhaps?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/22/13 1:15 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: twin scroll turbo mayhaps?

Though.... i believe the gen3 motors were CT20Bs, not the pictured CT26. Same basic thing, though.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/22/13 3:38 p.m.

I'm located in Misawa AFB Japan and yes my car has the gen 3 3sgte in it, that means i have the bigger cams, ct20b, 540cc injectors,a2w intercooler and it's got much better electronics then earlier 3s

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
7/23/13 10:15 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: I love me some GT-FOUR. You sure that's an HKS SQV? I've never seen one that looked like that?
Yeah, that's an OLD HKS unit. Might very well pre-date the car, actually. It's an SQV, not an SSQV. That was one of their first (if not the first) models to use that style flange. Earlier ones used the two-bolt flange that Greddy adopted later (read: stole).

Wow, I didn't know that. I had the first-gen SSQV on an old turbo car I built.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
7/23/13 10:36 a.m.

Nice car. I always wanted one of these.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
7/23/13 2:25 p.m.

How's it feel to drive on the wrong side?

I've been a Nissan guy for life and always wanted to get a GT-R once they are old enough to do so, but having a RHD car seems like it would be going against a lot of muscle memory.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
7/23/13 8:25 p.m.

for some reason the front of the car makes me think of this.

Clay
Clay HalfDork
7/23/13 11:23 p.m.

I've lived in Japan for 2 years and at first the RHD was a little different (especially if you have a manual), but it's really not difficult to get used to. My biggest hangup with shifting left handed was that I always thought of 1st as "toward me and up" instead of "left and up."

The biggest issue of switching to RHD is the swapped blinkers/wipers. I hit the wipers every time I went to turn for days (and again for a day or so when I visited the US). Now i can switch back and forth LHD or RHD with nary an issue.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/24/13 1:35 a.m.
Clay wrote: I've lived in Japan for 2 years and at first the RHD was a little different (especially if you have a manual), but it's really not difficult to get used to. My biggest hangup with shifting left handed was that I always thought of 1st as "toward me and up" instead of "left and up." The biggest issue of switching to RHD is the swapped blinkers/wipers. I hit the wipers every time I went to turn for days (and again for a day or so when I visited the US). Now i can switch back and forth LHD or RHD with nary an issue.

I agree with this 100 percent lol the swapped wipers and turn signals still get me at least once a day lol

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
7/24/13 5:09 a.m.
Clay wrote: I've lived in Japan for 2 years and at first the RHD was a little different (especially if you have a manual), but it's really not difficult to get used to. My biggest hangup with shifting left handed was that I always thought of 1st as "toward me and up" instead of "left and up." The biggest issue of switching to RHD is the swapped blinkers/wipers. I hit the wipers every time I went to turn for days (and again for a day or so when I visited the US). Now i can switch back and forth LHD or RHD with nary an issue.

The hardest part for me is getting used to having the bulk of the car on your left when parking and passing. I had a minor fender bender (scraped my mirror) in a rental car in Hokkaido a few years back thanks to that.

I'm considering importing a GTR next year when R32s become legal and it'll be fun getting used to RHD...

Clay
Clay HalfDork
7/24/13 11:10 p.m.

Yeah, the bulk of the car being on the right takes a little getting used to. Still I squeeze through some very tiny spaces with little worry (inches to spare on each side). Folding mirrors help there.

I do sometimes walk up to the wrong side of the car though... old habits.

I'm wondering how many people will be trying to import the 89 GTR next year. Maybe I should buy an 89-90 model and wait for the prices to skyrocket?

marktmv
marktmv New Reader
7/25/13 12:25 p.m.

http://www.celicagt.nl/conversion.html RHD problem solved!
But it sure looks like a LOT of work...

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/26/13 6:31 p.m.

my favorite celica . . . . although it may be a toss up between this and the early 70`s GT's . . . still, I love this car. very cool.

carbon
carbon New Reader
8/7/13 11:36 p.m.

Someday I will have an alltrac. Please build the s#@t out of this car, then smoke some mitsubarus with it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrVIzoprHrotlYoZd7c8DV2FaPDXBC2yLY7S9jz1GhznZMp0v5sAeyDQjV5Ys98C