1 2 3
2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure Reader
8/9/19 9:07 p.m.

My first barn find; 1997 Dodge Neon ACR with less than 50k on the clock and in pristine condition since it was built then stored by a now 82 year old gent in 2001 with a soft spot for small cars with big stones.

Bought for $1500 running very rough, but I think it's got a lot of potential, maybe even another trip to the Challenge if $500 or less will have it running smooth again.  My last neon effort in 2105 was fun, but not competitive.  This one might place higher.

Some additional details:

Hahn Stage V Kit - includes Mitsubishi Super 20G Turbo (30lbs of boost), Hahn Front mounted intercooler, G Reddy Blow off Valve. All the related plumbing for the turbo. Hahn turbo exhaust manifold.

Crane Turbo Cams. 
Crane Springs. 
Stage III Port Work. 
Intake Port Work. 
Bottom End. 
Eagle crank and Rods, Forged Pistons 9:1 compression
Adjustable Cam Gears. 
AFX Throttle Body.
Moroso Oil Pan. 
Valves. Stainless Steel. 
Clutch Kit. 
Axles. Stage III. 

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
8/9/19 9:32 p.m.

Great find!!  I had a ‘96 SOHC with a HRC Turbo kit.  Fun car!  

What are your plans for it??

79rex
79rex Reader
8/9/19 9:37 p.m.

Major jealous, that's awesome

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/9/19 10:21 p.m.

I want the wheels for my acr!!!

Please take copius pictures of the hardware, factory finishes, everything. Im going chalkmark resto with mine and need those kinds of refrences.....

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
8/9/19 10:35 p.m.

Sweetness.

2002colossalfailure
8/10/19 6:22 a.m.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to get it running again but I have a friend who built my last turbo neon and he knows their ins and outs well.  If I can keep the cost down I'd really like to drive it down to the challenge and compete.  I might just need fresh fuel, I won't know for a week or two.

2002colossalfailure
8/10/19 6:22 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Let me know what you need and I'll assist.

2002colossalfailure
8/10/19 7:25 a.m.

Here are more pics.  I'll have to do some research on these, not sure what they do.

or how dangerous changing the settings might be.

Not only are the wheels on the car mint, I got two extras as well.

Here's the odo, I still can't believe it.

Another body shot

I'm picking it up later this morning.

2002colossalfailure
8/10/19 7:32 a.m.

And a couple of interior shots

Shifter is partially disassembled for bushing replacement.  

2002colossalfailure
8/10/19 7:37 a.m.

If I can whip it into shape before the end of the summer I'll likely take it out the Gingerman Raceway for an SCCA TNA event as well.  I did a few of those in 2016 with my last ACR.  Big fun.

TJL
TJL Reader
8/10/19 9:06 a.m.

What a great sleeper. Did you hunt this down yourself or a craigslist find? Sounds like a total score. 

wae
wae SuperDork
8/10/19 9:08 a.m.

That's a really clean find!  Those are underappreciated cars in stock trim and a little bit of boost makes them fantastic!

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/10/19 9:26 a.m.

Very nice, enjoy the smiles.

2002colossalfailure
8/10/19 1:35 p.m.

Transported it to our local neon guru for assessment.  The seller was able to get it started and when we arrived wanted to double the price.  Of course declined, but after some conversation settled on an additional $200 so $1700 was my total buy price. Still challenge legal, but not a lot of room to move if something major is required to get it running right.  

it came with a ton of documentation plus the little Koni knob to adust the shock damping.  Aside from the powertrain modification, it's stock.

2002colossalfailure
8/12/19 5:59 p.m.

First order of business is to fix a major exhaust leak which sounds like it's around the turbo somewhere.  After that, we have to figure out the fuel management system.  

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/12/19 8:26 p.m.
2002colossalfailure said:

After that, we have to figure out the fuel management system.  

Everything from 2001 was so primitive and barely able to run the car well enough for a dragstrip pass.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ New Reader
8/13/19 12:36 p.m.

I've been seeing this thing in the Neon groups. What a bargain. I'll be watching this for updates. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
8/13/19 6:31 p.m.

Wait. The seller tried to raise the price after you already agreed on $1500? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/13/19 6:51 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Seller probably realized that a period correct ACR with an HRC setup might actually be worth more than 1500$. After other people offered him more for it, and ESPECIALLY when he got it running. It was parts when it didn't run. It was a car when it did. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/13/19 7:14 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Scotty Con Queso said:

Seller probably realized that a period correct ACR with an HRC setup might actually be worth more than 1500$. After other people offered him more for it, and ESPECIALLY when he got it running. It was parts when it didn't run. It was a car when it did. 

I personally wouldn't deal like that but I understand perfectly why he did. In reality I probably wouldn't have worked on the car anymore after I had already agreed to sell it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/19 7:33 p.m.

Amazing find! I kept waiting for "April Fools!" Might I recommend...

2002colossalfailure
8/17/19 10:30 a.m.

The mechanic working on my car, John Tejchma, already started on the exhaust leak and found that both the manifold gaskets (turbo and cylinder head) had significantly degraded.  

He also plugged the EGT hole since we won't be needing it.

Apparently the Hahn turbo kit doesn't lend itself to ease of installation and removal.  We have a wide-band O2 sensor ordered and a set of tires due in a couple of days.  With those installed and fresh gas the car might be ready for a test drive next week.

2002colossalfailure
8/23/19 8:59 a.m.

So the car has been sitting at a small shop where it is moved outside during the day and inside during the night.  Unfortunately this places the car in slightly different places during the day and on Wednesday this week a pick-up accidentally backed into it damaging the hood and scratching the front fascia.  Kind if a bummer but credit to the shop who removed the hood and took it right to a body shop for repair.  The bumper will be evaluated as to whether it needs more than superficial polishing to correct and we'll proceed accordingly.  The car has four new tires so it's safe to test drive now and over the weekend the wide band O2 sensor goes in and we can see how well the car runs, or not.  We did find out the gas tank isn't vented, but that should be fixed this weekend as well.  Pictures of the tires; nothing special, just something to fit the stock 14" wheels and get us by while we get the car back up and running.

Not a good picture of hood damage, which I'm thankful for since I'll never see the car in that state.  Next time I see it the repair should be effected.

Onward....

2002colossalfailure
8/28/19 9:24 a.m.

Hood is repaired and re-installed.  I'm hoping to get a full update on progress today.

2002colossalfailure
8/28/19 9:55 a.m.

Mixed news at the moment.  The exhaust manifold needs to be re-surfaced, it's presently not flat and leaks from the far ends.  The car does run fine though a little rich at idle.  We're going to keep it there for now.  After discussing the hood and front bumper we're going to continue working on them.  The hood needs some buffing out and the bumper needs a complete re-paint so that's the plan.  Need a hood emblem as well, but that can wait for now.  Progress.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaHcYX6DMUY1h2aLZM2L4Y3yB7l7cFf1SSRvp2YB9imGg7vMgJzfyVgb38x7WSdV