1 ... 12 13 14
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/21/18 8:51 p.m.

Been slacking on updating my build threads, because I've been slacking on getting any work done on them.  Going to try to hold myself accountable and get some work done.

Made it to only 2 or 3 events last year, and had one minor failure, due to a corroded electrical connection.

Going to try for more events this season, but may also put the car up for sale at some point, and try out a different class.  I've taken this car almost as far as I'm willing to go with it, at least while it is still a "street" car.  I could get away with more if I trailered it to events, but right now that's not a priority.

We had a nice day earlier this week, with a high of 80 (two days after we had snow), so I changed the oil on the car after work, and checked the other fluids.  I need to adjust the camber on the driver's side front, and do a quick check of the suspension in general, but otherwise, the Neon is pretty much ready for the season to begin.  First event is April 14th, I think.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/1/18 12:08 p.m.

Turns out the bad camber was actually the spindle to strut bolts coming loose.  I adjusted it as well as I could, and tightened everything back up.  The car drives much better now.  Also flushed the brake fluid, even though it was only a year old, left foot braking and hard braking at the end of the course tend to cook it pretty quickly.

I still want to double check the suspension, and probably grease the ball joints and tie rod ends, but it may be ready for the season to begin.

I will probably order some crash bolts next time I put in an online parts order.  The heads of the strut bolts have some knurling that is pretty worn down.  I'm guessing that's part of why they were able to loosen.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/1/18 5:42 p.m.

 I ain't worn down yet.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/11/18 1:28 p.m.

While doing the final suspension check, I confirmed the passenger tie rod end was going bad.  Not so terrible I'd be afraid to drive on it, but bad enough I don't want to race on it, and chance making it worse.  Ordered up a replacement, and installed it today. 

Now, I think the car is pretty much ready to go for the season, except for the usual last minute preparation, like airing up tires, and getting tools together.  Just over a month to go until the season opener.

 

 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/11/18 5:19 p.m.

The opening event for the season is scheduled for this weekend, but the current forecast calls for thunderstorms.  I suspect it'll be canceled, but we'll see.

 

At some point this spring, the clearcoat on the driver's side rear quarter panel started to delaminate.  I cleaned it up today as best I could, however, every time I tried to feather the edge, I just took more of it off.  I kind of gave up, and wiped it all down with rubbing alcohol, and am hitting it with clearcoat, in the hopes of slowing it down.  It doesn't have to look perfect or anything, I just don't want to have paint flaking, and mud/dust getting between the clearcoat and basecoat every time I go to an event. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/27/18 11:47 a.m.

My wife and I have been sidelined by injuries and ailments for most of the season, but we finally made it out to WOR points event #5 this past weekend.  The car did great in some changing weather (light rain during the latter runs), and I finished 3rd in class, and 7th overall out of 27 entries.  Not bad for being out of practice.  This may be the last time I race it, as I've put the car up for sale, so I can concentrate on the Super Beetle project.

1 ... 12 13 14
Our Preferred Partners
l0fHPTygFm97Uw4qk1PnEPR1fhRNq5ixN6P7aOcom5BD5cZWAyL8cRIRgTjVC3AI