1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/18 6:16 p.m.

In response to the bolts on the compressor. I hope I am not over-simplifying, and I do understand, super long bolts that go the whole width of the compressor.

Gear Wrench, that is.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/23/18 7:36 p.m.

Those AC bolts are a PITA. I think I pulled the battery and went in from the side with a long extension or 2 or 3 extensions put together.

The ones on the bracket are even worse. You have to go in from above with a u-joint.

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
3/23/18 8:25 p.m.

LKQ Northville has a first-gen Forester that arrived on 3/16.  You may be able to source some of the body and interior parts you need.

Unfortunately I don't have any good tricks for the AC bracket bolts.  The bottom two are a pain no matter what.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/23/18 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Slammo :

Crap. I probably checked their inventory the day before. I'm busy this weekend but I'll go on Monday. Thanks for the heads up. i should be able to get some stuff at least. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/24/18 9:21 a.m.

The trailer hitch is stuck in the hole. I managed to knock the pin out, but no amount of reasonable hammering could convince it to move. Then I had an idea!

I stopped before the forces involved got stupid. Hitch is still stuck. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
3/24/18 9:28 a.m.

Soak that sucker in your favorite penetrating oil and take a torch to it. Can you get to the back side from underneath and try to push it out? An air hammer might be able to help if you can.

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
3/24/18 11:07 a.m.

Been like that as long as I remember! When I was hitch installer I always put anti-seize on the draw bars so this wouldn't happen. Good soak and BFH should work

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/24/18 11:17 a.m.

I recently helped a friend remove his hitch that hadn't been out of the receiver in over 25 years.

O/A torch with a rosebud, 1/2 a quart of Kroil and a lot of BFH action.

He'd attempted previously at his shop but he didn't have a rosebud tip. A massive amount of BTU's did the trick.

Good Luck!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/24/18 12:45 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

The trailer hitch is stuck in the hole. I managed to knock the pin out, but no amount of reasonable hammering could convince it to move. Then I had an idea!

I stopped before the forces involved got stupid. Hitch is still stuck. 

Tried that with the same lack of success on the drivabeater.  Good luck. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/24/18 3:18 p.m.

Put a piece of plywood against the tree and back into it to break it loose. 

Much safer, and more effective. A strap has too much yeild to it. Great for pulling out a stuck vehicle but terrible for this purpose. 

If you do try to pull it this way again tie a strap between the hitch and the frame for safety sake. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/24/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Hitch up to the airstream. Chock the wheels of the airstream and attempt to move. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/18 5:35 p.m.

The same thing happened on my truck. I greased whatever was still exposed and then drove it in further with a BFH. That gets part of the receiver greasy. Then you can also clean up the part of the hitch came out the back before you try pulling again. Or maybe use a chain instead of a strap. Be careful.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/18 2:22 p.m.

Junkyard day. Grabbed a fender, door handle, pretty nice leather steering wheel, four lug nuts to replace the wheel locks and the gromet for the hood support. These should all work. 

Also in the picture is the lid for the dash compartment. My lid is brown and broken, this door is black and not broken. We'll see how those two go together.
Pulled the hood as well but it turns out that there was some sort of front end re-design between 1998 and 2001. It looks like the hood isn't going to work and will go back sometime in the next couple of weeks. 

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
3/26/18 4:00 p.m.

Nice haul! Think the headlights were slightly different, if I remember 98 was sorta a one year only on certain things. Were you able to get a blinker?

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
3/26/18 7:26 p.m.

Never until today did I realize the first gen forester had a mid-cycle refresh.  Talk about a subtle facelift.

1998-1999:

Image result for 1999 forester

2000-2002:

Image result for 2000 forester

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/18 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Slammo :

I had a 1999 Forrester L. It was the bastard one off trim level. Couldn't even find vent visors for it, while you could for all other models. Most mechanical stuff was the same, but interior bits and outside plastic was very hard to find. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/27/18 1:55 p.m.

The refresh certainly was subtle. I think can I either find another 98-99 hood or make do with what I have. If I fix this I'm pretty sure I won't be happy, but it would be cheap, so there's that. 

Try to do something positive to the car each day. 
If you have 10 minutes, use 10 minutes. 

I always try to use these project car principles and they're currently being applied to the Forester. 

I HATE wheel locks. Hate them. I understand their usefulness, but nobody is stealing crusty 20 year old Subaru wheels out of my yard.

I grabbed four nuts off the junkyard Subaru yesterday and today between other tasks I put them on. The car is better. 

Then I decided to use the Forester as a tractor to help pack down the new gravel. It was fun. 

Current seating is slightly crude, but it gets the job done. Motivation to get things back together. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/28/18 9:22 a.m.

Subaru has a commitment to the environment as shown through their self composting steering wheels. This isn't acceptable in the land of lovely wives who in theory might have to touch the steering wheel some day. Even a steering wheel cover isn't enough to protect the driver, it's sticky too. On a side note, I've finally reached the point where not having a steering wheel puller isn't a game stopper. Berk it, I'l just make one. Feels good. 

And here we are with a nice new-ish $14 leather Subaru steering wheel. Leather is getting shiny, but it's all in good shape. Getting closer. 

ValourUnbound
ValourUnbound New Reader
3/28/18 6:23 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Current seating is slightly crude, but it gets the job done.

I'd hate to see what passes for "extremely crude" in your world...

mazdeuce - Seth
3/28/18 6:53 p.m.
ValourUnbound said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Current seating is slightly crude, but it gets the job done.

I'd hate to see what passes for "extremely crude" in your world...

Same bucket, other side up.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/28/18 7:05 p.m.

What's wrong with bucket seats? smiley

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
3/28/18 7:36 p.m.

Man, I'd love to find a 1st gen Forester in that condition up here in the rust belt.

Kinda funny, Foreters have always been my favorite Subaru. I'm 8 Subarus deep and I have yet to own one.

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
3/28/18 8:10 p.m.

Nice to see the lil things make big difference. Curious if you've changed all fluids yet? Coolant always had good color and I never just added water. The oil though has to be couple years old now, although I always  used good  ol Castrol in it. I did want to change out the trans/diff oils but I grew up on old witches tale if it's been in there for years don't change it, it'll make it worst 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/30/18 10:53 a.m.

Mazdeuce - I have an 02 WRX MOMO steering wheel that you are welcome too if you want it. Just pay shipping. It comes with the clockspring too.

Shipping from Canada is not cheap, but otherwise free.

I'm moving soon and the parts are going to the dump otherwise.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/18 1:01 p.m.
NGTD said:

Mazdeuce - I have an 02 WRX MOMO steering wheel that you are welcome too if you want it. Just pay shipping. It comes with the clockspring too.

Shipping from Canada is not cheap, but otherwise free.

I'm moving soon and the parts are going to the dump otherwise.

If seth doesn’t, and it’s in good condition i’ll throw my hat in the ring.  The one in my 02 wrx is pretty darn rough

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RWje5X4iMJIqipzIHuTjM90LdwfMoEcFTRr8sB4ZtWlk83Oe6jLanBT0AQntR3Mk