1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/28/18 6:44 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

At some point, there will be hidden welds somewhere.  And while I'm calling this a "restoration"- it's not about 100% originality, but getting back a solid car that will last another couple of decades.  

I appreciate the thought of replacing the whole panel, but even if I did one large chunk of the fender, it would not be the entire part.  I do plan on finding the tiny holes where I can put some protectant back there.  And all of the structural parts will get something on the front and back before I put it back together- there is enough space for that.

And this is what I bought back in 2014- sort of (no primer on them).  https://raybuck.com/product/1999-05-mazda-miata-upper-rear-wheel-arch-driver-side/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4JuXxNWP3QIVWrjACh2RAwGkEAQYASABEgIkKvD_BwE  And back then they were considerably less expensive.  Not sure why.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/18 2:54 p.m.

Some more work...

so I figured there were 4 patches to be made. 

The first in the wheel well. 

The second the hole in one of the pictures 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/18 2:57 p.m.

Both were tougher than I thought as the original metal was thinner than I thought so I fought with weld blow through. But got it done primed and painted. This area was originally just treated, I just wanted more protection. 

Still have two more patches before I move on. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/18 3:02 p.m.

While I was cleaning up, I took a quick look at the rest of the rear fender rust- looks like it's mostly really bad outer fender rust, so I'll have a lot of clean up, but less patching up higher, I hope.  Once I get the other two lower patches in, I'll take more fender out to see other rust.

And when I get more out, I'll be able to get to the back side of what I just finished, and put something down there to reduce the speed of new rust.  Hopefully, the time I become the dreaded PO, the car will be way older, and it will have survived 20ish more years.  Gentler years, as I hope to drive a lot less in the snow.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/9/18 3:43 p.m.

Just one part welded in. This took a long time to get fitted, but it's more structural, so getting it in cleanly was important. 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
mPphqsJ519ZztOBes4Ka9QEWSjcCS2Rekv9nZCoDPlBuOGXg7Xb6suE80mkjoXF9