1 ... 7 8 9
crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/26/17 12:39 p.m.
The0retical wrote: In reply to sleepyhead: Yea but there's a well engineered 50 state legal supercharger available for the CR-Z.

I was just about to add that. I first saw one at SEMA in 2012 and that really made the CR-Z make a lot more sense.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/26/17 1:38 p.m.

true, but the same/similar kit fits on a 06-11 civic coupe, which has cheaper initial buy in, better power, and same weight, drag and mileage numbers.
(and supposedly the civic can bolt on the hch's underbody panels and wheels... so I'd think you'd be able to really lower it's drag and weight numbers compared to the CR-Z.)

I also find it interesting that the CR-Z & HCH packs are smaller Ah-wise (but higher voltage) compared to the gen-1 insight.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/26/17 8:47 p.m.

But I think there is a certain segment (myself included) that likes the fact the CR-Z is a hybrid with a stick that nobody is really doing anymore and although the didnt quite pull it off, the connection to the CR-X is still kind of there.

That makes them just more interesting at least than a 96-11 civic coupe.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
4/27/17 8:49 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead:

Crz manual trans is geared much more conventional than the insight.

The gas engine is more or less the fit engine with the hybrid drive added: thus has no issues holding 80 mph on hills after the battery charge runs out (relatively)

The depreciation of crzs makes them interesting. The supercharger reportedly does wonders for the car, but at non depreciated $'s puts a new car with parts in the 30k area... And it's not worth that.

The more conventional gas power and gearing hurt the overall crz mileage, but put it no where near "sporty" power. It's an odd compromise, but owning in has made me start appreciating the nerdy tech of hybrids.

Back on topic, it's nice to see this insight getting some attention

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/28/17 10:49 a.m.

Just catching up on this! Congrats on all the progress and finally experiencing what its supposed to be like (aside from damaged synchros)! Also congrats on sale! You can have another successful sale if you want to sell me the battery analyzer(s) you used.

So yeah, now you know how easy it is to drive these things wrong. That's why they all have dead synchros! And i definitely agree with the other insight owner who recommended 4th gear. There's only a ~300rpm difference between 5th and 4th on the highway but it's enough to cut the IMA intervention by a lot. And, if you care, don't ever do anything but 3rd if you're WOT on the highway. 3rd gear goes to top speed (112) and is the only gear that gives decent highway acceleration. You'll find the high speed acceleration in 3rd is actually as good as cars you would think would be much faster just because of the aero advantage. When i had my 85 CRX Hf with the same weight and overall power at the same time, the Insight flat stomped it in highway acceleration and top speed. All aero difference.

Another thing, you mentioned that the car liked to be above 3k rpm. I found that odd because if you look at how the electric and gas powerbands overlay, the car actually makes its peak power (~70) at 3k rpm. So if the car is acting happier at higher rpm it's only because you're getting more multiplication from the gear you select to be at that higher rpm. The car basically makes peak power in a flat line from 3-6k as a result of how the declining motor torque and rising engine torque interact.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/2/17 3:06 p.m.

I'm picking the new owner up at the airport on Thursday. Kind of sad. Vacuumed it, washed it. I need to wipe down the interior and fill the tank one last time.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 10:49 a.m.

This is my last view of the Insight as it pulled away with the new owner. Incredibly nice guy. I wish him the best.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
5/4/17 12:01 p.m.

Sad day, I enjoyed watching the build on this one. Glad it's going to a good owner though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/4/17 12:53 p.m.

Is the new owner one of us?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/4/17 1:26 p.m.

He is, contacted me through the forum. I'll let them introduce themselves if they desire. Turns out we went to the same very small engineering college and just missed each other by a couple of years. The world is a small place.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
5/4/17 5:38 p.m.

I hope the new owner will really appreciate the car.

How is the seat for long drives? Good lumbar?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/4/17 11:38 p.m.

I took mine (the other one) 1100 miles at a stretch with no issues. Besides having to be WOT at all times once i got to 5k ft elevation.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/25/17 6:11 p.m.

I bought one of these for a winter beater.  I like it.  

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XYkwJb]

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ValX3dEOm428zTS1dKJJ8KrH9ARY3T4wAMBJ2Lqv4NZJnsAxY7rYmOM6C7eRghfW