1 2 3 ... 5
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/4/15 7:01 p.m.

Back in 2013, I acquired this 2000 Lincoln LS V6 sport with 5speed manual.

The car led a HARD life with the previous owner. It came with tons of hacks, broken bits, dings and dents, missing interior pieces and an engine with a tiny man in the motor with a BIG hammer trying to get out.

The easy button would be pulling the current Duratec and swapping in another. But part of the deal made with Mrs. Zero was to use one of the engines stored in the garage.

Enter the 4.8L . . . Add a GTO front sump oil pan, LS V8 mounting arms, and LS1 intake, it should fall into the engine bay . . . At least that's the plan!!

Nothing exotic for this build as I'm aiming to keep this within reach of a Challenge budget (<$3000). So no turbos, superchagers, or T56 as it blow the budget I have set. Hell, I'm even using a truck transmission, the NV3500 . . .

Will I be able to get all of the amenities to work?? Eh, who knows . . . At this point, the car will just be for HPDEs, AutoXs, and goofing around.

I started draining fluids and disconnecting various items under the hood on Friday. So . . .anyone looking for a getrag 221 and other items to make a Duratec V6 (or SHO V8) RWD?

pres589
pres589 UberDork
4/4/15 7:05 p.m.

So you're going to build the car that Ford should have put together in the first place? Good luck with the build!

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
4/4/15 7:20 p.m.

Where were you when I was shopping a 5 speed for my Duratec powered ovloV 122? I gave up on finding one. I used an automatic bell housing and made an adapter plate for a toy trans. How does that Getrag compare to a W57(I think, close ratio version) Toyota?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/4/15 7:25 p.m.

Nice project. I like it.

Thats a rare trans and would be a great swap for a small FoMoCo car; ie pinto, falcon, maverick, mustang ii, xr4ti, or even a fox body that doesnt have a v8.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/4/15 8:42 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Getrag 221 gear ratios

• 1st: 4.23
  • 2nd: 2.52
  • 3rd: 1.66
  • 4th: 1.22
  • 5th: 1.00

It's a fairly small transmission with low factory tq rating (I believe, 300 nm), but so does a lot other transmissions.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
4/4/15 9:49 p.m.

Wow, that's a rare car. Can't wait to see what it's like with a Chevy swap.

Do you have any pictures of the interior, or is it more of a Smell-O-Vision problem? If it's the latter, my tip to you is to check the seat rails and any tie-down points for old french fries (a lesson I've learned the hard way.)

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
4/4/15 10:49 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to bentwrench: Getrag 221 gear ratios - 1st: 4.23 - 2nd: 2.52 - 3rd: 1.66 - 4th: 1.22 - 5th: 1.00 It's a fairly small transmission with low factory tq rating (I believe, 300 nm), but so does a lot other transmissions.

Wow! crazy low first ratio wide jump to second and third.

No OD, you'd need a 3.30 or higher rear gear.

I think I made the right choice with the close ratios .78 OD and a 4.10 gear

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/5/15 6:41 a.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

Oh it's bad in there!! Imagine the smell of black & mild (all flavors) and engine oil . . . Yes there was engine oil under the rear set pad

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
4/5/15 6:54 a.m.

An LS with an LS.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/5/15 6:54 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

With only 205 tq and ~3600 lbs . . . First gear had to be a crawler gear. The factory rear was 3.07 with 3.31 for the real early cars. My E34 530i (220 tq and ~3800lbs) had a similar setup and it isn't bad.

A 3.58 will have to do for now. Weld in brackets are available for IRS 8.8. So a 4.10 will come later.

I'm using the S10 Blazer NV3500 because the shifter is located 6-7 inches farther back than the regular truck trans.

Here are the ratios of the NV3500 (RPO: M50)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/15 9:39 a.m.

I've always had a soft spot for those cars. I heartily approve this project.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/6/15 2:51 p.m.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry at the video of that engine running. I laughed

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
4/6/15 3:08 p.m.

I laughed at the video as well. Reminded me of when the Orca blew its engine in Jaws, except for the lack of a spectacular explosion.

Should be a fun car to drive. Good luck with the build.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/6/15 3:08 p.m.

Laughing was the appropriate reaction . . . It sounds worse in person . . .

I drained the oil and it was (anecdotally) 60% oil, 15% fuel, and 25% metal particles. . .

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/17/15 7:23 p.m.

Some parts arrived from Improved Racing via GM . . . 04-06 GTO dip stick, tube, and block plug.

It rained all week and I wasn't able to put any hands on the car

Rain looks to be in forecast all weekend and next week; so I'll plan to install the GTO goods and finish the valve cover gaskets.

I still have decide how much wiring to remove from the chassis (3 fuse blocks, a couple of ECUs). Pairing down the body harness is NOT going to fun.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
4/17/15 7:43 p.m.

So much yes in this thread

Will
Will SuperDork
4/18/15 1:49 p.m.

I understand that 8.8 diffs will fit in whatever weird rearend those cars have. 8.8 rings and pinions won't, but diffs will. Or so I hear.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
4/18/15 2:37 p.m.

There is so much yes in this thread.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/18/15 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Will:

Correct!! A JY 28-spline 8.8 diff in 3.58 (8" housing) is the direction I'm going since I can't weld.

Maybe later down the road I'll do a full 8.8 with 4.10.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/18/15 9:12 p.m.

Regarding wiring removal: eliminating the unused wiring from my Supercoupe was one of the least pleasant projects I've ever done, but it ended up saving about 15 pounds in my case.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/19/15 7:16 a.m.

I can see the weight savings and removing some of the complex of the 3 fuse blocks and multiple ECUs . . . I know it's good for at least 15-20lbs.

I also know it's going to suck removing it .

Also trying to decide if I'm keeping the heater core. The defrost and heat would be GREAT for events on cold mornings. I removed it from the E36 302 hillclimber, but need to install those small 12v defrosters. For the hillclimber, I'll have on the race gear, so I wouldn't be THAT cold. But for this car . . . I think I may leave it in.

I believe the HVAC and ABS are all tied up with the main ECU. It would be fantastic if there was a BCM that I don't know about yet controlling that part of the car.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/15 2:17 p.m.

There's an LS1 Lincoln LS. I'm not sure if he ever got the windows to work but he had to make customs gauges. I'll find you the thread.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/15 3:01 p.m.

Nvm everything works

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?68023-LS1-amp-6speed-swap-into-an-LS&p=715513#post715513

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/19/15 4:55 p.m.

Yup. He said the only thing that didn't work was the gauges. He used Autometers instead and removed the ABS pump (he didn't care for ABS).

It's hard to find real details on the full build other than brief posts. The members on that forum pretty much E36 M3 all over his thread in the process . . .

The end goal for this is a racer that can be driven on the street . . . Meaning lights, horn, and wipers

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/19/15 9:20 p.m.

Did some work today . . . Prepped the engine and transmission for removal from the car.

Ford did alotta E36 M3 to make the Duratec V6 RWD. There are miles of lines and hoses e'erywhere!! Coolant lines, A/C condensor, PS cooler, EGR stuff . . . Sheesh!!

Should have everything out and ready for pickup by Thursday!!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rCXXDDbRxWuP2KVrGJR7Ie8yuYTLZo4dN5rlyMPzIO98F35YbA7ey1s21AvtrJLh